Société de transport de Montréal

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a look at it at Legendre today. It has 31 seats: 23 normal plastic seats, 8 (2x4) folding seats.  There is a tiny front fleet number near the New Flyer logo. There is indeed a second iBus screen f

Found this on STM’s Instagram feed. 40901 seen taking a dip somewhere in the Montreal area.   

STM 30-188 got damaged in a fire probably gonna be scrapped  

Posted Images

I’ll defer to them to defend that claim. And no gadget is a substitue for intelligent, defensive driving.

They are light, centrifugal forces wouldn’t affect them much.... But anything over bupkus is a win when you’re cold and just want to get home.

I’m sure the salesmen have made the rounds... TTC has been aware of them for some time.

I do recall them (autosock) citing NYC as a customer though, but that was informal garage talk.

heres a link to that Translink article, for what it’s worth:

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/translink-vancouver-to-reveal-winter-plans

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

STM is going into tender for 300 new hybrid buses and plans to hire 600 new drivers and mechanics. The vehicles are expected by 2020.

That is a gazillion new buses, with the fleet expected to grow by +15%.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/montreal-quebec-will-purchase-300-new-hybrid-buses-for-stm

• Like 4

Why don't tire manufacturers just make a more knobby tread design to help the bus with better traction? The TTC has been using Good Year tires that seem to have more horizontal cuts or grooves that would help displace snow, are they better than the ones they where using before? 

On 1/20/2018 at 11:35 AM, Shaun said:

Why don't tire manufacturers just make a more knobby tread design to help the bus with better traction? The TTC has been using Good Year tires that seem to have more horizontal cuts or grooves that would help displace snow, are they better than the ones they where using before? 

I believe that's up to the agency that operates the bus. As it is, many operators, especially in QC have very knobby tread on the rear axle. You can see this on most Novabuses. Look at RTLs newest hybrids. The fronts have the standard, simpler and straighter tread that you'd find on most buses.

It also has to do with cost. Bus tires are expensive and run in the thousands per piece. 

http://picssr.com/photos/alexly/favorites/page4?nsid=91934302@N03

Scroll down to the third row in the third column, you'll the back of an RTL LFSh taken by @anyfong

• 1 month later...

I can speak for the hybrids, they can only make about 95-100 km/h before the armature rpm is too high, and alarms start going off. Power is automatically is folded back to govern them if the operator doesn’t back off.

STM may have an even more conservative maximum traction motor rpm written into the operating software.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

I can speak for the hybrids, they can only make about 95-100 km/h before the armature rpm is too high, and alarms start going off. Power is automatically is folded back to govern them if the operator doesn’t back off.

STM may have an even more conservative maximum traction motor rpm written into the operating software.

The other issue may be the tires.

Depending on what tires they have spec'd, and all of the additional stuff that goes on with a hybrid, it may be that the tires are simply not designed to handle that much weight at that much speed. Limiting them to 90km/h may be a preventative measure to extend their lifespan.

Dan

Yesterday I rode Mount-Royal's 36-033 on Stinson's 213 Parc-Industriel-Saint-Laurent and today, I saw 31-211 (747 runner) on the 213 as well. Anybody know if they'll keep on using airport buses on residential/industrial routes?

5 hours ago, malikcollins said:

Yesterday I rode Mount-Royal's 36-033 on Stinson's 213 Parc-Industriel-Saint-Laurent and today, I saw 31-211 (747 runner) on the 213 as well. Anybody know if they'll keep on using airport buses on residential/industrial routes?

31-211 is a "fake" 747 bus, so since airport demand is lower this time of year, this bus goes to normal bus routes.

For the MR bus, either an extra or a "renfort" ?

3 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

I have a question:

What's the outcome of the seat trial done a few months ago? Will there be some changes on the seat on the next order?

Thanks

The new seats are American Seating Insight Prime. Basically the same as now, just without a fabric insert.

insight-prime-thumbnail-600x600.thumb.jpg.53949579af0917caa93cb90f0218d561.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The STM beta site and supported apps (Chrono, Transit) now show the bus position on the map. It's not much use to me thus far as I've gotten accustomed to looking at the estimated times. No information is given for the buses on the map (schedule adherence, fleet number), but I wouldn't give up hope on that until they release the GTFS real time data.

• Like 1