mtltransitguy

Société de transport de Montréal

4 minutes ago, FelixINX said:

Also to note, the new static GTFS format now includes two board periods in one file. For example, the latest GTFS is valid from January to June. This makes really big files (268mb for stop times)!

True, and the January one contained data from September 2018 period as well.

18 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

Before, the GTFS data used to be what we used, i.e. including the run number. It's referred to as the "old format" (example: 16_01_2). Two board periods ago, the STM decided to revamp its run data, and called it the "new format", with a new kind of trip id (example: 191315289). The STM decided to phase out the old format, so we will no longer be able to see the run number in this way.

Thanks for the response. So there is no way to get the run numbers anymore? Or is the trip ID the new run number now?

5 hours ago, West Island Transit Fan said:

Thanks for the response. So there is no way to get the run numbers anymore? Or is the trip ID the new run number now?

I'm guess there's no way anymore except if you take the bus in real time and note the run number box or the iBus console...

The trip ID isn't really a run number per se but it describes more the departure. 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

I'm guess there's no way anymore except if you take the bus in real time and note the run number box or the iBus console...

The trip ID isn't really a run number per se but it describes more the departure. 

Normally each trip id from the same run have the same number up to the last one or two digits. There is also a way to see from wich garage the bus is coming. All of this is only observations, nothing has been confirmed.

I hope that one day we will have a block id field!

The trip_id's are sequential, which helps. The file seems to be organized by run number, even though we don't see them. 

They appear to be organized by route of majority (e.g. Lasalle starts with 12-XX runs, then 21-XX, 36-XX, etc.) For CT's Stinson, Lasalle, Anjou, and Legendre when 2 numbers are skipped that implies it is a new run. (assumption is that the deadheads count as a trip).

image.thumb.png.a97b15777ab8906b91ff05d42150472f.png

Mont Royal, Frontenac and St. Laurent trip_id's don't seem to skip numbers for deadheads, so finding out where one run ends and another begins would pose a greater challenge..

Anyway, I parsed the trips.txt file into a more legible Word file labelled with garages and days of the week if anyone wants to explore it.

Trip Search Sp2019.docx

• Like 3

The trip ID's are still sorted by garage, and in each garage it seems to be sorted by increasing run number (I've compared the old and new versions side-by-side for my route in January).

A good way to see which garage the run belongs to is: for example: 213,19J-H50J000S-85-S,191315289,213-E,0,2130173,2,,  we can see it is a Stinson operated run by the two bold digits I highlighted.

Indeed, for the garages that skip numbers between 2 runs, a really big gap (ex: 4 or 6) usually means there's a school extra somewhere. I don't know why it's not standardized and why LS and SL use different trip ID's in real time than those posted.

P.S. Also, a way to delimit the runs is to use "stop_times.txt" in conjunction to "trips.txt". If the last stop time of trip 123123123 is 22:40 and the first stop time of trip 123123126 is 05:55, then that's definitely 2 runs.

• Like 4

Holy detour Batman

After the weekend closures, now the STM is replacing the waterproofing membrane (along with some preparation work for the BRT) of Côte-Vertu station, resulting in partial closure of the boulevard with the same name and some bus stop relocations, starting from April 23rd. In July, the work will force relocation of certain stops in the northern terminus.

The relocation map is the following (from the STM website):

plan23avril.png

I can only foresee a big mess around the station...

P.S. Is it me or did they mess up the 121/171 W or E? Will the buses loop around the station to pick up passengers?

Maybe they are planning some very heavy SPS to come on the northwest orange line...

On 4/16/2019 at 10:28 AM, oOCornPops said:

can someone shed some light on the line 502? Was in Cote-Vertu a few weeks back and noticed this

20190315_110654.thumb.jpg.e5a847e0ffae4a1c928dac04e7b8d8f4.jpg

New numbers for SPS service. 501 = Green, 502 = Orange ect...