mtltransitguy

Société de transport de Montréal

1,063 posts in this topic

36-903 at Square-Victoria today!

STM Nova Bus LFSe 36-903

STM Nova Bus LFSe 36-903

5 people like this

While looking through the STM's GTFS data, I came across a run number 57I-05. Since the GTFS only displays scheduled runs, all I know is that it does the 18:04 westbound 420 departure. I know that the E suffix on a route is for school runs, but does anyone know what the 57I is?

1 hour ago, Gerbil said:

While looking through the STM's GTFS data, I came across a run number 57I-05. Since the GTFS only displays scheduled runs, all I know is that it does the 18:04 westbound 420 departure. I know that the E suffix on a route is for school runs, but does anyone know what the 57I is?

Industrial Extra

Let us know when the electric bus (LFSe) is in service! I'm also curious how big the battery is.

31 minutes ago, MAX BRT said:

Let us know when the electric bus (LFSe) is in service! I'm also curious how big the battery is.

The battery is not very big, about the same size as that of a hybrid. Though not as big as their very first attempt:

lfse 2008.jpg

2 people like this

The LFSe brochure just says

4 Volvo high voltage lithium-ion batteries in parallel
2 batteries located on the roof, 2 in the rear section

I suspect there is more battery than on a traditional hybrid bus, but because of the fast-chargers, you are right, they do not need so much battery.

1 person likes this

40 minutes ago, MAX BRT said:

The LFSe brochure just says

4 Volvo high voltage lithium-ion batteries in parallel
2 batteries located on the roof, 2 in the rear section

I suspect there is more battery than on a traditional hybrid bus, but because of the fast-chargers, you are right, they do not need so much battery.

I believe that earlier demo had greater battery capacity because it had to travel longer distances between charges. It was a plug-in, slow charge only bus, according to La Presse.

3 people like this

STM is the first to use LFSe and it won't be the last!

Brampton is getting "up to 10" electric buses, some Nova LFSe and some Xcelsior. York Region Transit and Oakville Transit are also expected to test electric buses, from both Nova and NFI, by 2018.

Source: http://bramptonist.com/electric-buses-rolling-2018/

12 hours ago, MAX BRT said:

STM is the first to use LFSe and it won't be the last!

Brampton is getting "up to 10" electric buses, some Nova LFSe and some Xcelsior. York Region Transit and Oakville Transit are also expected to test electric buses, from both Nova and NFI, by 2018.

Source: http://bramptonist.com/electric-buses-rolling-2018/

I wonder why Brampton, Oakville, and YRT are testing both NFI and Nova. They have different charging systems that are incompatible; the XE40 has the pantograph mounted on the roof while the LFSe has the pantograph mounted on the charging station. So they would have to install two different kinds of charging stations, which makes the installations overall more expensive.

Here is how the XE40 looks, with the pantograph mounted on the roof:

2015 New Flyer XE40 Xcelsior pantograph

And here is the LFSe, with the pantograph mounted on the station:

STM Nova Bus LFSe 36-903

2 people like this

Really good point you make!

Those two incompatible charging systems are a problem for Transit agencies because they want to be able to buy buses from either company and have them work with their chargers. Electric buses need a common standard. Nova and NFI need to agree on a common fast-charger design so cities that invest in fast-chargers can buy from either company.

CUTRIC is working on this problem with their electric bus trial program--the one Brampton and YRT are leading. Here is what it says in one press release:

"As part of this trial, overhead-charging stations will be designed and manufactured by Siemens and ABB Group. Both manufacturers will produce the pole mounted pantograph system that uses an open protocol known as the OppCharge protocol (https://www.oppcharge.org/) – first jointly developed by Siemens and Volvo Bus Corporation. The protocol standardizes the design of the robotic off-board pantograph that connects the charging station to the bus, communications between the bus and the charger, and performance metrics of the overall system."

What this says to me is that NFI and Nova have agreed to build fast-charge buses that match the European OppCharge protocol, the one Volvo buses use in Europe. And the same companies that partner to build the fast-chargers in Europe will do so in Canada too. This is great!!

1 person likes this

On 4/3/2017 at 7:03 AM, anyfong said:

I wonder why Brampton, Oakville, and YRT are testing both NFI and Nova. They have different charging systems that are incompatible; the XE40 has the pantograph mounted on the roof while the LFSe has the pantograph mounted on the charging station. So they would have to install two different kinds of charging stations, which makes the installations overall more expensive.

Well since its a test from the Government with funding from them , very little costs for the transit agencies, makes smart sense on taking advantage of the funding.

1 person likes this

STM is offering a shuttle between DuCollege and Cote Vertu stations for people that need to use the escalators. More details here.

http://www.stm.info/en/info/service-updates/messages/temporary-bus-shuttle-service-du-college-metro-station

There is only one bus on this "route" and on Saturday it was 29-108. It was signed up as Service Provisoire.

Construction to prepare Honoré-Beaugrand for an elevator continues. The south Terminus will be closed from May 1st to September 2017 and bus routes will be relocated.

Consult the map below. Route 18 Beaubien will be relocated to Raddison Metro on the south of Sherbrooke across from the AMT Parking lot. A map of changes to Route 18 is below the map of the relocated stops at Beaugrand.

17810_54-plan-web_0.png

17810_55-plan-radisson.png