Société de transport de Montréal

mtltransitguy

47 minutes ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

Hopefully everyone on board was safe. Here's its last appearance via Felix's app this morning:

30188 lastappearance.png

I actually have a later one loaded up. :P

Capture.thumb.PNG.3570a8c2f2dcff5db204ea53b186b88f.PNG

Based on the time and location, it seems like it caught fire on the 44.

Capture.thumb.PNG.60deafa21ea4c32998eb7ab9d528f739.PNG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, downbeat said:

Thanks for posting this. I looked through the file for future bus purchases, the table is attached below. The only change from last year's expenditure program is that 31 buses from 2020 are advanced to 2019.

The STM had organized a special CA meeting on Oct. 16, and it is mentioned in there that 25 buses from 2020 will be advanced to 2019. Not sure that 25 is part of the 31 in the expenditure program or a further 25 will be advanced. Perhaps that's why 40-001 is already delivered.

Also interesting in that press release is a photo of 40-001. 

1598317314_acquisitionphase2.thumb.png.be2c59d554690c4197a1fbc42ca31d22.png325396191_stmcaextraordinaire.thumb.png.afd252d1598319ae1e8d600fe8db3067.png

19 hours ago, downbeat said:
  • 5 minutes max service on the green and orange line all year, is great news! But platform screen doors will make a big change towards a more reliable service, they are expected by 2026.
  • The technical presentation notes that the 4 NovaBus LFSe should be delivered in 2019 (then 39-901 to 39-904?). Any sightings of these 4 buses?
  • Next year, 407 buses should be delivered! I hope there will be no more buses, because at the moment it looks bad for January with the REM shuttles.
  • Also interesting: St-Denis will apparently have some hybrids
  • The four BYDs have no delivery date ... ?

23 hours ago, FelixINX said:

5 minutes max service on the green and orange line all year, is great news! But platform screen doors will make a big change towards a more reliable service, they are expected by 2026.

May I ask where you found the screen doors on the STM's document? I skimmed through but didn't see it. The STM doesn't sound very enthusiastic about that idea even recently.

23 hours ago, FelixINX said:

The four BYDs have no delivery date ... ?

These 4 buses will still be based at SL but the 212 will move back to St-Michel in January... maybe the STM is not expecting them to arrive in 2020?

14 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

May I ask where you found the screen doors on the STM's document? I skimmed through but didn't see it. The STM doesn't sound very enthusiastic about that idea even recently.

These 4 buses will still be based at SL but the 212 will move back to St-Michel in January... maybe the STM is not expecting them to arrive in 2020?

On the PI 2020-2029, on page 74 there is a line for "Porte palières sur la ligne Orange", 459.7 M$.

The STM was previously interested in installing platform doors in 13 stations, but in the last request for information, the 31 stations are targeted. On another forum that I follow, someone shared the project schedule (from the request for information).

• Thanks 1

On 2019年11月12日 at 9:45 PM, FelixINX said:
  • I counted 30 seats wich is 1 more (but it's hard to say)
  • On the second Instagram picture, behind the"Arrêt demandé", there might be a second iBus screen
  • There appears to be no fleet number in the bus neither in the front or the back

Had a look at it at Legendre today. It has 31 seats: 23 normal plastic seats, 8 (2x4) folding seats.  There is a tiny front fleet number near the New Flyer logo. There is indeed a second iBus screen facing the front near the rear door.

Rear door is the sensor type, à la 28-100/101.

Edit 1: Photos... enjoy.

40901-01.thumb.jpg.f27130b54bb5fc19ebac70709d2b16b3.jpg40901-02.thumb.jpg.f1ee98bdd253dca8015c1efc3d435abb.jpg40901-03.thumb.jpg.57ea3ab132e7d1c6f57d9ae0a4f910c2.jpg40901-04.thumb.jpg.248bcab9ce6cd5b65ec526559239056f.jpg40901-05.thumb.jpg.f373a3134b2eccfc25296a597b89808e.jpg40901-06.thumb.jpg.ea5ee5c18016c6cedd5f84b3521bc0e2.jpg40901-07.thumb.jpg.a4e935edf554ba469ac94987b2f2135b.jpg40901-08.thumb.jpg.e176268e948c94595230b91926045e28.jpg

Edit 2: Is it me or there is no USB ports in the Flyers? Completely forgot to check that during the open house.

• Like 9

Thanks @Frozen Yogurt! A very nice bus and I'm glad that the STM let's us see what's going on in these "Centre de transport". I'm looking forward for an open house about the Metro!

Fun fact I learned today about the NewFlyer, it's not 100% electric! The heating is powered by Diesel, otherwise the bus wouldn't run all day in winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, FelixINX said:

Fun fact I learned today about the NewFlyer, it's not 100% electric! The heating is powered by Diesel, otherwise the bus wouldn't run all day in winter.

That's interesting to hear. Even though the bus uses diesel for heat, it's still a grand step towards a greener future and is significantly less polluting than a diesel bus. Thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, rgilmtl said:
On 11/23/2019 at 3:15 PM, Frozen Yogurt said:

Edit 2: Is it me or there is no USB ports in the Flyers?

They are under the seats.

That makes sense, as the charging port of most devices is located at the bottom. So plugging in a device to charge wouldn't bend the charging wire as much.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blue Hybrid Bus said:

That's interesting to hear. Even though the bus uses diesel for heat, it's still a grand step towards a greener future and is significantly less polluting than a diesel bus. Thanks for sharing!

That makes sense, as the charging port of most devices is located at the bottom. So plugging in a device to charge wouldn't bend the charging wire as much.

The only reason the chargers are under the seats is because New Flyer does not have a USB charger model for the poles as of yet. The remaining buses of the series will have them on the poles and the drivers area will be modified with a shorter personal space window as drivers were complaining that it blocked their view on the right side.

• Like 1

On 2019年11月23日 at 10:42 PM, FelixINX said:

A day behind the métro would be nice. I'd also like to see Stinson garage. You can ignore my daydreams...

Can't find anything to back up this now, but I remember reading somewhere that the 3 LFSe we have also use diesel heaters. Same for the BYD demo.

Finally, how about a thread on the 40-series, hybrid + electric? We may discuss about these buses, post our sightings, photos, etc. there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2019 at 9:15 PM, Frozen Yogurt said:

A day behind the métro would be nice. I'd also like to see Stinson garage. You can ignore my daydreams...

Can't find anything to back up this now, but I remember reading somewhere that the 3 LFSe we have also use diesel heaters. Same for the BYD demo.

Finally, how about a thread on the 40-series, hybrid + electric? We may discuss about these buses, post our sightings, photos, etc. there.

I can confirm the electric buses have diesel heaters. They can be powered by clear or colored diesel, most likely be clear as that is what is available in the garages. The heaters are located near the rear doors on the passenger side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They're keeping track of the number of available buses currently:

http://stm.info/fr/infos/etat-du-service/plan-daction-pour-offrir-le-service-bus-promis

So they were short 159 buses for AM rush today. It will be interesting to keep track of this.

There's also a new twitter account to address bus service disruptions, @stm_bus

• Like 1

Good to have more transparence. Also good to have a dedicated twitter account. Perhaps they should next improve the stop relocation/detour infos.

Although I don't appreciate the fact that they're presenting the 300 bus as the miracle solution to the bus shortage problem. We need 1425 buses daily, and we have more than 1800 buses right now, my uninformed opinion says that spare ratio should not cause any bus shortage... So I wonder what is the "optimal" spare ratio for a transit company of this size (Googled and in the States the recommendation is 20%), what on Earth causes one third of the fleet to be not available  everyday... Old average age of fleet? Poor maintenance? And how are the 300 extra buses going to help if 2/3 of them will only help reducing the shortage, with the other 1/3 sleeping in the garage... So we will have 2100 buses just to offer what's worth of 1425 buses? The STM discussed none of the above. 

Anecdote... during the open house, someone asked the schedule department about the bus shortage. Of course that conversation was in French so I (very) approximately transcribed it...
- STM: Ah, so you were following the news... hmm... yeah it's true we sometimes cannot send out as much buses [...] 
- Visitor: I don't need to follow the news to know it, I take the bus everyday [...].

On 11/23/2019 at 11:24 AM, FelixINX said:

On the PI 2020-2029, on page 74 there is a line for "Porte palières sur la ligne Orange", 459.7 M$.

The STM was previously interested in installing platform doors in 13 stations, but in the last request for information, the 31 stations are targeted. On another forum that I follow, someone shared the project schedule (from the request for information).

Those were first tried when the metro first opened in 1966, but didn't last long. They were located at the platform entrances, and closed when a train entered the station. They were removed after being charged too often.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

Good to have more transparence. Also good to have a dedicated twitter account. Perhaps they should next improve the stop relocation/detour infos.

Although I don't appreciate the fact that they're presenting the 300 bus as the miracle solution to the bus shortage problem. We need 1425 buses daily, and we have more than 1800 buses right now, my uninformed opinion says that spare ratio should not cause any bus shortage... So I wonder what is the "optimal" spare ratio for a transit company of this size (Googled and in the States the recommendation is 20%), what on Earth causes one third of the fleet to be not available  everyday... Old average age of fleet? Poor maintenance? And how are the 300 extra buses going to help if 2/3 of them will only help reducing the shortage, with the other 1/3 sleeping in the garage... So we will have 2100 buses just to offer what's worth of 1425 buses? The STM discussed none of the above. 

Anecdote... during the open house, someone asked the schedule department about the bus shortage. Of course that conversation was in French so I (very) approximately transcribed it...
- STM: Ah, so you were following the news... hmm... yeah it's true we sometimes cannot send out as much buses [...] 
- Visitor: I don't need to follow the news to know it, I take the bus everyday [...].

Well like a plane crash, there is not a single point of failure but rather many factors IMO that causes the actual situation.

- CT Saint-Denis temporary closure: That has an impact since that removes many lifts required to do maintenance on those buses. Also all SD buses went elsewhere in the meantime, however the others Garage might not be able to catch up with the extra works those buses bring to them. Also the 3 garages currently under extension (AN, SL, LE) removes some of the capacity. One garage that was hit hard was Stinston with the temporary "Stinston 2" garage, that added 50 buses to the maintenance duty of that garage).

- New computer system: Not a big impact, yes there was headline of mechanics counting the rivets holding the roof since the new system was not able to furnish them with the parts they need to repair buses. However, the crisis has begun way before the new system was in place (Oct. 21 2019)

- Novabus "recalls", based on what STM says, they have transferred up to 50 000 hours of work to Novabus for "recalls" to improve mid and long term longevity of the buses. This is a rather questionable issue, as far as we know those "recalls" are not urgent safety recalls that requires immediate action, so why send buses to Nova to do "recalls" taking off the line buses in working conditions. They should suspend this program until they can control the number of buses available then when they hit the target, restart the program.

- New work contract: THIS is the biggest factor in the current crisis, let's remember that STM and the Union were at "war"  late 2018/ early 2019 during the negotiation of their new agreement. STM relied heavily on overtime to get the job done, and they did not have a choice at that time since the convention would not allow nights and week-ends shifts, and you cannot hire mechanics during the dayshift since you might not have enough lifts to hoist buses, Union went to overtime boycott, the mechanics could not catch up to the pile of dead buses, and you have the beginning of a crisis. Now with the 80 new mechanics that will work nights and week-ends, this will help a lot to solve that crisis.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, En Transit said:

Yes, STM is to receive 9 electric buses by the end of the year, and they’re going to LaSalle. 39-901 has arrived. 

It's only 4 LFSe at LaSalle. The project will end in 2020, maybe the 3 LFSe will stay or maybe not.

There is also 4 BYD midibus for St. Laurent but it's delayed... It's unclear if we will see them this year.

There is also 2 buses for St. Michel (adapté) but we won't see them before 2021 (tender process was launched last week).

14 minutes ago, Gerbil said:

To mitigate the bus shortage, the STM will be leasing 50 coaches starting January 6th.

In addition, they're going to be subcontracting some of the maintenance.

http://stm.info/fr/infos/etat-du-service/plan-daction-pour-offrir-le-service-bus-promis

It's only going to get worse... tonight at the conseil d'administration the union and Schnobb were basically shouting at each other in front of the public... what a scene.

It's not the bus that are lacking, it's maintenance works. Not sure how these 50 coaches will help unless they're maintained by the lessor as well. I came in late for the webdiffusion of the CA meeting tonight, but I heard the word "Galland" so maybe it's going to be 747 coaches again.