Société de transport de Montréal

mtltransitguy

1 hour ago, jge0364 said:

Looking at the most recent street view from May 2019, it seems like its route... 469??? Are they planning to modify this line?

Also looking at the October 2015 street view, the exact sign is also there at that time. What have they been planning for a long time now?

I am beginning to think it was a printing error, it happens from time to time. No plans to modify the 469 at the moment, nothing was announced to that regard.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

Planibuses for September are now available at the STM's website, just change the "planibus" to "planibus_sept2019" in the URL.

Some changes I have noticed:

- Route 16: Quite surprisingly, it now has much more consistent weekday service than before (compare with this). Before, the headway is about 35 minutes, now it is kept at around 30 minutes. There are now 2 more departures per direction than before... except that I'll not be regularly taking this route anymore...

- Route 45/445: 445: every 10 min during AM rush; every 15 min during PM rush. Stops at every stop along R-Lévesque, De Lorimier (Eastbound), Papineau and Beaubien. I personally think it should skip stops in order to attract more ridership off the orange line, since that's its main goal.

- Route 80/480: Replacement of the 435. Didn't see much service improvement, to be honest, since both the new 465 and 480 do not skip stops... Overall, there are a few more departures offered than before, but again, I don't think that would be a good reason to pull metro users off the train... still too slow compared to metro.

- Route 165/465: See above.

The Planibuses for the routes that go to Vendome all say "Arrêts déplacés à la station Vendôme", but the construction causing that was supposed to be over on August 26th (and based on my observations, it looks like it should be ready by then). They should have had that notice on the Summer schedules, since it lasted for the entirety of it.

Also, here's my document to search for extras (Fall 2019):

Trip Search F19.docx

You can use it in conjunction with the tool linked in my signature to find out when a departure is.

2 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Have the STM issued an updated system map for 2019 yet?  The website still has the 2018 version, and the STM have usually updated the map by late summer.

It says 2018 on the download page but when you open it says January 2019.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

Today, while transiting through Côte-des-Neiges, I noticed that all stop flags feature a temporary red carton with a hand-written "165/435" on it. Seems like the existing stop flags are already updated with the new 465/480.

Also, I noticed a little change for the 139/355 for September: the last departure of the 139 will be at 11 pm. After, the service will be assumed by 355 departures, although ending/departing at Notre-Dame St. just like the 139. See: http://www.stm.info/sites/default/files/planibus_sept2019/fr/139.pdf

A work around the union to be able to put 40ft buses on Pie-Ix after 23h00. Can't believe the union let this go through!

Here is the 355 pdf for comparative analysis https://www.stm.info/sites/default/files/planibus_sept2019/fr/355.pdf

355 becomes one of the more frequent service night buses in Montreal as a result!

In addition to what mtl66 wrote, there is one other new precedent set... a night bus route with two terminals. Why not give it a new number altogether? This would avoid confusion. I hope that the destination sign for the southbound (westbound) service will say the service ends at Notre-Dame. Also interesting to note that the routing of the night bus does not detour, but perhaps this is not news to some of you. It is to me... I do not like anything about or around Pie-IX

2 hours ago, SMS said:

Here is the 355 pdf for comparative analysis https://www.stm.info/sites/default/files/planibus_sept2019/fr/355.pdf

355 becomes one of the more frequent service night buses in Montreal as a result!

In addition to what mtl66 wrote, there is one other new precedent set... a night bus route with two terminals. Why not give it a new number altogether? This would avoid confusion. I hope that the destination sign for the southbound (westbound) service will say the service ends at Notre-Dame. Also interesting to note that the routing of the night bus does not detour, but perhaps this is not news to some of you. It is to me... I do not like anything about or around Pie-IX

I think the logic behind that change it that the STM maybe want to give residents of the residentials neighbourhood that are currently hosting the severely modified 139/439 northbound service a break from passing artics buses during the late evening hours. Instead of having two routings for the 139/439, they simply extend service hour on the 355 which always served Pie-IX. Also winter is coming (yep...) so maybe they also want to simplify snow removing ops

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

Also, after checking the GTFS file, I noticed that the added 355 departures are also operated by Anjou... not Legendre as the 139.

My thinking is that there are probably complaints by residents about artic buses running on their streets after midnight, hence the decision to use Pie-IX after 11pm.

What I never understood is why Montreal doesn't like to use branches...

I doubt that would be the case. They could of easily changed the timetables for the 139 at night to have it served by 40ft buses. The reason the 355 does not detour is because there is not as much traffic on Pie-Ix. Pie-IX is currently 1 lane going North and 2 Lanes south. The traffic is horrible at all times before 21h00.

The STM just needed to change the way the 139 is served after midnight. Have 40ft Legendre routes interline with the 139 to provide 40ft service. They do it for the 100, where artics run on rush hours only.

On 8/18/2019 at 6:36 AM, MTL66 said:

I doubt that would be the case. They could of easily changed the timetables for the 139 at night to have it served by 40ft buses. The reason the 355 does not detour is because there is not as much traffic on Pie-Ix. Pie-IX is currently 1 lane going North and 2 Lanes south. The traffic is horrible at all times before 21h00.

The STM just needed to change the way the 139 is served after midnight. Have 40ft Legendre routes interline with the 139 to provide 40ft service. They do it for the 100, where artics run on rush hours only.

I was saying the STM maybe wanted to give a break from artics buses to residential neighbourhood that host the detour, they might also give them a late night break of all type of buses.

Extending the service hours of the 355 was the easiest way to do it, no need to create a new route, no need to create specials exception case on the 139

EDIT: Official reason on the STM website is indeed to give residents a break http://www.stm.info/en/info/networks/latest-bus-news-september

• Like 2

They missed a great opportunity of making 465 and 480 true express (or rather limited stop) services. Considering that the 80 and 165 will run all day... very disappointing and insulting for those who want quality bus service. I understand it is politically unpalatable to put a tramway on these major streets, but come on let's at least try to improve the status quo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2018 at 10:58 PM, MTL66 said:

They are having enough trouble to find space for these 300 buses + the ones already ordered. Don't add artics to that mix.

I happened to fall upon this PDF presented by Mayor Colgate and Schnobb stating where they expect to park their buses (and artics!)

http://www.stm.info/sites/default/files/media/Affairespubliques/Communiques/2018/ap_presentation_strategie_300_bus.pdf

If this was written elsewhere I apologize

On 9/4/2019 at 9:51 AM, SMS said:

I happened to fall upon this PDF presented by Mayor Colgate and Schnobb stating where they expect to park their buses (and artics!)

http://www.stm.info/sites/default/files/media/Affairespubliques/Communiques/2018/ap_presentation_strategie_300_bus.pdf

If this was written elsewhere I apologize

Nice find, I knew about most of the projects listed in there. The new garage in Longue Pointe in intriguing. Last I heard they had it narrowed down to 3 possible places. The old GE plant on Dickson/Notre-Dame, the old Johnson & Johnson on Notre-Dame near Aut 25 and an unknown plot of land on Dickson, which seems to be the chosen area. The plot of land used to be part of an industrial building, a portion of the land was purchased by Bell Canada to build an office. On a satellite view, you can see a spur leading into the plot of land, so an industry that was served by rail at one point.

The site is not the most ideal place. A reconfiguration of the area would need to be don, as I doubt the STM would use the little portion of Ontario to have a mass amount of buses entering and exiting.

As for the other project, those are already underway. The employee parking lots at Anjou, Legendre (Portion) and St-Laurent have been closed in preparation for the construction. A new entrance/Exit for buses will be made at St-Laurent. In all cases, a parking garage will be erected for the employees after the extension of the garage. At Anjou, it will be a 3 story garage. As for the employees, at Anjou in any case, the drivers are directed to a rented lot to park and are expected to take Public Transit to the garage, no shuttle available the last I heard. It is rumoured that most of the assignments out of Anjou, Legendre and St-Laurent will be all day assignments will most buses not returning to their garages and drivers reliving mid/end route.

Starting on January 6, new routes will serve as REM shuttles :

• 919 Trainbus Namur/Mont-Royal/Acadie - 15 min headway
  • 964 Trainbus Bois-Franc/Côte-Vertu - synchronized with trains, free shuttle, boarding through all doors 3 buses at the time (I expect 15 buses for one train)
  • 968 Trainbus Roxboro/Côte-Vertu - 8 min headway peak and 15 min during the day, reserved lane on Gouin and Pitifield

Train service between Bois-Franc and Deux-Montagnes will be free. OPUS à l'année will offer 4 free months for actual Deux-Montagnes customer.

27 minutes ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

On the exo's website, there is a mention of "Until December" for the 30% discount on TRAM tickets. So what will happen after January 2020 is still not very clear, at least to me.

For most users, TRAIN and TRAM will be unneccessary (train shuttles will be free). People will OPUS+ on december will not have to pay for January, February, March and April. After, they'll only pay STM pass. From what I heard in the train, some users will receive a compensation case by case (such as Canora/Mt-Royal and Deux-Montagnes user going to Montmorency or Mansfield).

32 minutes ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

1) I'm not sure how is the STM going to have enough buses to provide regular and shuttle service... Last winter ended up being pretty hectic with constant short of buses, and I don't think that the situation would be any better this upcoming winter. 

This is also my biggest question. Apparently, the 300 additional buses will be delivered earlier (maybe that's why we're already seeing 40-XXX).

But you know STM... they have space and drivers...

«On a les chauffeurs et l’espace nécessaires dans le garage. On ne va pas déshabiller le réseau actuel.» -Le conseiller à la gestion des réseaux de la STM, Philippe Parenteau.

3 minutes ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

On an another topic... Was the 211 Bord-du-Lac ever part of the 10-max system? My memory says yes but I am not very sure...

It was until the west island expresses were created in 2012 (particularly the 405, 425, 485) and the 475

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2019 at 9:52 PM, Frozen Yogurt said:

Well, I forgot that what remains of  DM line / shuttle 964 will be free, so for most the fare problem is eliminated.

But the problem is, the 40-series (and 1/3 of the 39 series...) will take time to arrive, and we need the buses in not even 4 months. Even if Nova Bus produces nothing but STM's buses at their full capacity, I don't think we would be ready for January. Also, they again did not mention maintenance, which was a big cause of bus shortage (remember that 1/3 of the fleet was on hoist at its worst) last winter. Will the STM increase maintenance personnel? Will they change some faulty practices? Maintenance personnels don't come just by waving the magic wand, hiring process takes time...

---

On an another topic... Was the 211 Bord-du-Lac ever part of the 10-max system? My memory says yes but I am not very sure...

The statement they made about the buses was for the users. Anyone here knows what is really going on. 39-148 was ready for delivery at Nova Bus when I passed by on Sunday. Problem is, there is no room left in the garages until St-Denis reopens. Where the remainder of the 39 series is parked is a good question, because I doubt Nova would store the buses in St-Eustache for months.