Société de transport de Montréal

mtltransitguy

18 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

Before, the GTFS data used to be what we used, i.e. including the run number. It's referred to as the "old format" (example: 16_01_2). Two board periods ago, the STM decided to revamp its run data, and called it the "new format", with a new kind of trip id (example: 191315289). The STM decided to phase out the old format, so we will no longer be able to see the run number in this way.

Thanks for the response. So there is no way to get the run numbers anymore? Or is the trip ID the new run number now?

39 minutes ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

I'm guess there's no way anymore except if you take the bus in real time and note the run number box or the iBus console...

The trip ID isn't really a run number per se but it describes more the departure. 

Normally each trip id from the same run have the same number up to the last one or two digits. There is also a way to see from wich garage the bus is coming. All of this is only observations, nothing has been confirmed.

I hope that one day we will have a block id field!

The trip_id's are sequential, which helps. The file seems to be organized by run number, even though we don't see them. 

They appear to be organized by route of majority (e.g. Lasalle starts with 12-XX runs, then 21-XX, 36-XX, etc.) For CT's Stinson, Lasalle, Anjou, and Legendre when 2 numbers are skipped that implies it is a new run. (assumption is that the deadheads count as a trip).

image.thumb.png.a97b15777ab8906b91ff05d42150472f.png

Mont Royal, Frontenac and St. Laurent trip_id's don't seem to skip numbers for deadheads, so finding out where one run ends and another begins would pose a greater challenge..

Anyway, I parsed the trips.txt file into a more legible Word file labelled with garages and days of the week if anyone wants to explore it.

Trip Search Sp2019.docx

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, I wrote a little script to get the departure times for trip_id's. I tried to break it up by run where possible (if number skips by 3). You can just type in the trip_id from @FelixINX's website and this will tell you when the subsequent departures are.

It's a bit rough, but I was mainly doing it as practice for a class.

https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~jread3/

I'll leave the link in my signature so it can be found.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Stupid modification... using Des Ormeaux between Sherbrooke and Hochelaga will double the 185 which already goes to Radisson. At least with the current route, anyone ouest of Des Ormeaux and along Beaugrand could grab 1 bus to get to Place Versailles... The 26 was also used by many residents in the Faubourg to get to only major grocery chain in the area, the IGA on Hochelaga/Beaugrand...

The STM will be launching the Mouvement Orange this summer. The goal is to get people off the metro, between Berri-UQAM and Beaubien.

Line 445 will be created, line 435 will be replaced by 465 (from Mont-Royal to St-Laurent only) and an increase of service on the line 480.

Also, 2 additional trains will be joining the Orange line during peak hours.

http://www.stm.info/en/info/networks/mouvement-orange

They're closing the Vendome bus loop starting next Monday until August. This is going to be a disaster: with the 105 coming every 2-3 minutes during rush hour, there are always tons of buses laying over. A better solution could be to divert the 105 to Villa Maria.

Also, De Maisonneuve is only one lane heading westbound, so the 90-W loading passengers on the street will almost definitely create major traffic jams. Usually there is a traffic jam there during rush hour already since St. Jacques is closed due to construction (they're taking 4 months to pave the bridge).

http://www.stm.info/en/info/service-updates/stm-works/vendome-0

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

In fact, what is even the point of splitting the 435 in two? I fail to see how this is "improvement" of service.

I am happy that I am not the only one who sees through the STM PR machine BS.

Historians will astutely note that the predecessor of the 435 "Express" are 535 R-BUS Du Parc and 545 R-BUS Cote-des-Neiges which also started off as a split route with 535 going to Atwater and 545 going to either Champ-de-Mars or Berri at various points. The split flopped and the 535 merely swallowed up the 545.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

To be honest, I feel a little bit disgusted by the current STM management. The "service improvements" they are so proud of from the past few years are mostly cosmetic in nature... For example, route 449, taking one route and split it in two... the service before and after is still the same. (I agree, it's less confusing, but that does't mean that the service will be better to regular users) , while without addressing more fundamental issues such as some routes are constantly overcrowded; buses that take forever to come and come in bundles; or buses taking forever to reach their destination. They still have no clue why their bus lines are losing  ridership.

The split of the 449 was actually a smart move IMO. the new 449 is dedicated to getting the residents of RDP home faster and a faster solution to go to the metro at rush hours. the creation of the 428 that uniquely does the Industrial Sectors of RDP/Anjou with a direct connection to the RDP train station is a plus for the area that lacks transit options for the businesses along HEnri-Bourassa. The only thing left would be to have a service for the late shift/early start. The long walks leaving work (1 Hour + in my case to get to a bus to bring me to a metro and another 45 minutes to get home)

When I worked days, I had the 40 to bring me straight to my door, I was back home withing 20 mins, but late night/early start shifts it was 3+ hours on transit. I relied heavily on UBER on those nights

11 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

Hmmm... I am still wondering if the non-concurrence clause imposed by REM has any impact on the 435 or the future 465... because from what I can see it should fit into the criteria of lines to be eliminated...

No it will not. The non concurrence sector stop at A13 for the island (see image below). Same thing for the "bassin de rabattement" (what would be the correct term in English?).

11 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

Now, about the current 435, and the new 465 and 480... I asked the STM two very simple questions about these new lines and they don't even bother answering them... Nowhere they stated the following in their news release, so it was very unclear to me that whether 1) these "new" express routes will be of limited stop in nature, and 2) there will be any additional priority measures (priority lights, transponders, etc.) on these roads to improve service speed. I fail to see how the 80/165 and their express counterparts are going to attract more riders when they take literally an hour to reach downtown.

To answer your second question, addition priority measures are in study, but Côte-des-Neiges, du Parc and René-Lévesque already have those. On the 445, it's another story... the northbound route will not have anything.

For me, the 445 make sense and is a great alternative to the problem on the Beaubien-Berri-UQAM section of the orange line. But I don't see why the 435 is part of this Mouvement.

The only reason I could find for the splitting of the 435 is the closure of the Mount-Royal tunnel in January. With two lines, the 465 would be able to stay all day, serving Mount-Royal station user to downtown.

Screenshot_20190514-055626.jpg