Société de transport de Montréal

mtltransitguy

While looking through the STM's GTFS data, I came across a run number 57I-05. Since the GTFS only displays scheduled runs, all I know is that it does the 18:04 westbound 420 departure. I know that the E suffix on a route is for school runs, but does anyone know what the 57I is?

1 hour ago, Gerbil said:

While looking through the STM's GTFS data, I came across a run number 57I-05. Since the GTFS only displays scheduled runs, all I know is that it does the 18:04 westbound 420 departure. I know that the E suffix on a route is for school runs, but does anyone know what the 57I is?

Industrial Extra

31 minutes ago, MAX BRT said:

Let us know when the electric bus (LFSe) is in service! I'm also curious how big the battery is.

The battery is not very big, about the same size as that of a hybrid. Though not as big as their very first attempt:

lfse 2008.jpg

• Like 2

The LFSe brochure just says

4 Volvo high voltage lithium-ion batteries in parallel
2 batteries located on the roof, 2 in the rear section

I suspect there is more battery than on a traditional hybrid bus, but because of the fast-chargers, you are right, they do not need so much battery.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MAX BRT said:

The LFSe brochure just says

4 Volvo high voltage lithium-ion batteries in parallel
2 batteries located on the roof, 2 in the rear section

I suspect there is more battery than on a traditional hybrid bus, but because of the fast-chargers, you are right, they do not need so much battery.

I believe that earlier demo had greater battery capacity because it had to travel longer distances between charges. It was a plug-in, slow charge only bus, according to La Presse.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MAX BRT said:

STM is the first to use LFSe and it won't be the last!

Brampton is getting "up to 10" electric buses, some Nova LFSe and some Xcelsior. York Region Transit and Oakville Transit are also expected to test electric buses, from both Nova and NFI, by 2018.

Source: http://bramptonist.com/electric-buses-rolling-2018/

I wonder why Brampton, Oakville, and YRT are testing both NFI and Nova. They have different charging systems that are incompatible; the XE40 has the pantograph mounted on the roof while the LFSe has the pantograph mounted on the charging station. So they would have to install two different kinds of charging stations, which makes the installations overall more expensive.

Here is how the XE40 looks, with the pantograph mounted on the roof:

2015 New Flyer XE40 Xcelsior pantograph

And here is the LFSe, with the pantograph mounted on the station:

STM Nova Bus LFSe 36-903

• Like 2

Really good point you make!

Those two incompatible charging systems are a problem for Transit agencies because they want to be able to buy buses from either company and have them work with their chargers. Electric buses need a common standard. Nova and NFI need to agree on a common fast-charger design so cities that invest in fast-chargers can buy from either company.

CUTRIC is working on this problem with their electric bus trial program--the one Brampton and YRT are leading. Here is what it says in one press release:

"As part of this trial, overhead-charging stations will be designed and manufactured by Siemens and ABB Group. Both manufacturers will produce the pole mounted pantograph system that uses an open protocol known as the OppCharge protocol (https://www.oppcharge.org/) – first jointly developed by Siemens and Volvo Bus Corporation. The protocol standardizes the design of the robotic off-board pantograph that connects the charging station to the bus, communications between the bus and the charger, and performance metrics of the overall system."

What this says to me is that NFI and Nova have agreed to build fast-charge buses that match the European OppCharge protocol, the one Volvo buses use in Europe. And the same companies that partner to build the fast-chargers in Europe will do so in Canada too. This is great!!

• Like 1

On 4/3/2017 at 7:03 AM, anyfong said:

I wonder why Brampton, Oakville, and YRT are testing both NFI and Nova. They have different charging systems that are incompatible; the XE40 has the pantograph mounted on the roof while the LFSe has the pantograph mounted on the charging station. So they would have to install two different kinds of charging stations, which makes the installations overall more expensive.

Well since its a test from the Government with funding from them , very little costs for the transit agencies, makes smart sense on taking advantage of the funding.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

STM is offering a shuttle between DuCollege and Cote Vertu stations for people that need to use the escalators. More details here.

http://www.stm.info/en/info/service-updates/messages/temporary-bus-shuttle-service-du-college-metro-station

There is only one bus on this "route" and on Saturday it was 29-108. It was signed up as Service Provisoire.

• 2 weeks later...

Construction to prepare Honoré-Beaugrand for an elevator continues. The south Terminus will be closed from May 1st to September 2017 and bus routes will be relocated.

Consult the map below. Route 18 Beaubien will be relocated to Raddison Metro on the south of Sherbrooke across from the AMT Parking lot. A map of changes to Route 18 is below the map of the relocated stops at Beaugrand.

17810_54-plan-web_0.png

17810_55-plan-radisson.png

On 27/04/2017 at 2:45 AM, MTL66 said:

Construction to prepare Honoré-Beaugrand for an elevator continues. The south Terminus will be closed from May 1st to September 2017 and bus routes will be relocated.

Consult the map below. Route 18 Beaubien will be relocated to Raddison Metro on the south of Sherbrooke across from the AMT Parking lot. A map of changes to Route 18 is below the map of the relocated stops at Beaugrand.

17810_54-plan-web_0.png

17810_55-plan-radisson.png

I guess they are not relocating any stops onto avenue Honoré-Beaugrand south of the station like last time because that would bother residents?

9 hours ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

I guess they are not relocating any stops onto avenue Honoré-Beaugrand south of the station like last time because that would bother residents?

There are less routes in Beaugrand South so there is room to put them on Sherbrooke. With this plan, buses are not forced to do a major detour. From what I understand the 85 and 141 will use Beaugrand North to switch directions after picking up passengers. Other routes don't need to switch directions so they just continue along sherbrooke. The 26 will detour via Gustave Bleau, which will make it more efficient as it doesnt have to loop at Beaugrand.

370 can use Beaugrand North no problem at night, as it is not used otherwise.

On 4/27/2017 at 10:46 PM, Matt Demers said:

The run that 21-217 is on has the bus running until almost 10:30pm! :D

(quoted from another thread)

Is 22:30 the latest buses without cameras can be out now? Some of the runs I regularly see, like 90-33 which starts its last run at 22:30 on the 71 and 138-57 which starts its last run on the 138 at 22:18, have never gotten buses older than 2005 according to my sightings. I know the time limit used to be 23:00 before November (from sightings), but it seems like it was made to be earlier.

22:59 is supposed to be the cut-off time as it is the same time the last relief on a route can happen. If a bus without cameras is out after 23:00 it is supposed to be changed off, by the operator. When I was doing the Planibuses at Anjou before we lost the contract, any bus that entered the garage after 23:10 automatically got a Camera Equipped bus. A non-camera equipped bus can still be seen after 23:00, providing it started it's route before 22:59 and is entering the garage after that trip.

Then why do I still get 27-0xxs without any noticeable cameras on the 49 EB past 12:30 AM directly from H.-Bourassa metro?

Is it because of iBus' GPS system that all the old buses are still out at this time even without cameras?

1 hour ago, AlexLy said:

Then why do I still get 27-0xxs without any noticeable cameras on the 49 EB past 12:30 AM directly from H.-Bourassa metro?

Is it because of iBus' GPS system that all the old buses are still out at this time even without cameras?

I'm pretty sure that all 25-2XX and up have cameras. The ones in the 2005 to early 2009 buses are hard to see because they're small and located directly in front of the iBus screen.

8 minutes ago, Gerbil said:

I'm pretty sure that all 25-2XX and up have cameras. The ones in the 2005 to early 2009 buses are hard to see because they're small and located directly in front of the iBus screen.

I did notice these small cameras, but I shall take a look closer next time.

All buses 2006 and up have cameras. Some 2005 buses were equipped when they were running out of MR which had a very limited selection of buses to equipe efore the arrival of the hybrids

All-door boarding will be substantially modified from June onward. Except for 139/439, where all-door boarding is maintained at all stops all day, rear door boarding will be only allowed at metro stations between 5: and 19:00 on lines 45, 67/467, 69, 80/165/435, 121, 193, 197 and 470.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/05/09/embarquement-a-toutes-les-portes-de-bus-des-cet-ete

This is ridiculous IMHO. There were substantial gains at some stops on route 121 (Lebeau, Acadie, ...). The reasons why STM does not install validators at the rear remain unclear.

Syndicat CAOMSC SCFP 1983 still hasn't pronounced anything on their website about this. They were hopping mad when it began in March 2016 on 121 Sauvé / Côte-Vertu and when it was expanded to 139/439 Pie-IX for September 2016. For the record, they quoted security as the reason for being opposed. Fare evasion and the risks of further assaults on operators also was mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Would anybody have a list of routes that were in service in 1995 and 1997. Looking to reprogram the luminators on the FHTCQ 15-140 and 17-176 back to programs from their respective years. I have been able to guess most of the information based off how little some routes have changed over the years, but looking for a more concrete list in order to be able to do this in one shot.

If anyone has a map from those years that is willing to scan or lend to me, let me know. Thanks