Société de transport de Montréal

mtltransitguy

They suck! They don't have any ideas on how to program a bus! Why don't they try:

En Liaison (RTC/STCUQ)

En Transit (STL)

Next bus approaching (or something to this extent) (CyRide)

CyRide NEVER uses Out of Service. There are many alternatives available such as:

Returning to Garage

CyRide Maintenance

etc

Got some Questions:

STM:

Why do all the buses and trains follow the certain fleet assignment xx-xxx?? What's the scheme here?

I'm sure it may have been brought up here before, but...

RTL:

If the next time, I show back to Montreal, I plan to try out AMT buses to somewhere, including Laval off of de la Concorde, Montmorency etc... anything interesting the hood(s)? Or is it just another 9-to-5er's subdivision setup where there's nothing?

AMT:

I may give all lines a shot, despite the schedules? Any suggestions on the best of the best and why?

RTC:

How come they don't have a system map?? WtH? I had a field week just trying to take individual schedules and match them with other route schedules when I was there.... lovely city though.

Got some Questions:

STM:

Why do all the buses and trains follow the certain fleet assignment xx-xxx?? What's the scheme here?

I'm sure it may have been brought up here before, but...

Search for the STM Numbering thread. Basically on buses the first two digits are the year:

60 - 1990 (Only one left 60-013)

11 - 1991

12 - 1992

and so on

29 - 2009

AMT:

I may give all lines a shot, despite the schedules? Any suggestions on the best of the best and why?

Do you mean which lines have the ability to do a return trip?

Since January 2009, all lines offer return trips depending on when you use them. The return trip by train is limited for all lines (except Deux-Montagnes), but just about every station allows for a simple return by bus except:

- Hudson

- Rigaud

- Mont-Saint-Hilaire (possible, but paying on two buses)

Alex

RTC:

How come they don't have a system map?? WtH? I had a field week just trying to take individual schedules and match them with other route schedules when I was there.... lovely city though.

Well, RTC ****THINKS***** that Trajecto (online route calculator) is the best tool in the world (insert cough here) and they don't need a system map. They were taking name last spring of people interest by a system map and they were considerating printing them for free or sell them for a buck for exemple.

And, all RTC schedule are avaliable at either RTC Garage service center or downtown service center

Search for the STM Numbering thread. Basically on buses the first two digits are the year:

Do you mean which lines have the ability to do a return trip?

Since January 2009, all lines offer return trips depending on when you use them. The return trip by train is limited for all lines (except Deux-Montagnes), but just about every station allows for a simple return by bus except:

- Hudson

- Rigaud

- Mont-Saint-Hilaire (possible, but paying on two buses)

Alex

Well over the year here in Toronto, where much of our lines run during the rush with a few trips downtown in the AM, and the same, more or less out of town in the PM, I travel by train in the PM out of town, and return at some point or immediately right after to come back to Toronto by bus. So that's kind of the idea.

I wouldn't care as much if I was able to take Local services from the terminus (or close to it anyway...) back to Montreal grounds. But yes, I guess where I can make a return trip.

60 - 1990 (Only one left 60-013)

11 - 1991

12 - 1992

and so on

29 - 2009

You had me after the 60. You lost me at 60. I'll search around. Thanks, homes!

Well, RTC ****THINKS***** that Trajecto (online route calculator) is the best tool in the world (insert cough here) and they don't need a system map. They were taking name last spring of people interest by a system map and they were considerating printing them for free or sell them for a buck for exemple.

And, all RTC schedule are avaliable at either RTC Garage service center or downtown service center

Yeah, I just grabbed a bunch of them before I left at the Downtown location. That's stupid. Some lady at the Falls said becuase of the massive number of diversions and such are the reason they stopped making maps.... temporarily. Even if they "think green" It doesn't hurt to release a .jpg or .pdf of the system. I mean.... don't they want to make the system user-friendly enough?

Got some Questions:

AMT:

You can find schedules for commuter trains here: http://www.amt.qc.ca/tc/train/. You can also get the paper pamphlets at Central Station (for all 5 lines), Lucien-L'Allier Station, Vendome station, and occasionally other stations.

Suggestions:

Equipment-wise

- If you'd like to ride the electric line, head to the Deux-Montagnes line. This line uses exclusively Bombardier Electric Multiple Unit cars.

- The Canadian Vickers Gallery-style double-decker coaches are quite cool. They are 40 years old, and riding them is a real trip through history. They're on the St-Jerome line.

- The ex-GO cars are in service on all four diesel lines. They are due to be retired relatively soon, once we get the new multilevel coaches.

- Right now the AMT is leasing equipment from New Jersey Transit - five GP40s and two F40s as well as 12(?) Comet 1B coaches and several Comet 1 coaches. These are similar to the AMT's 700 series coaches. They're on the Vaudreuil, Candiac and St-Hilaire lines.

- The GP9u locomotives; numbered 1310 through 1313; they are due to be retired relatively soon because they are very old. They make a beautiful sound. I think that the AMT is the last commuter railway in North America to operate GP9s.

- And if you'd like to try the state-of-the-art Bombardier Bilevels which entered service in 2005, you'll find them on the Vaudreuil and St-Jerome lines.

Other tip

- If you try the Vaudreuil line, get off at Dorion instead of Vaudreuil. From Dorion stn. you can see CN & CP Freight trains as well as VIA trains, and there are nearby depanneurs and restaurants to grab a bite, whereas at Vaudreuil, there's nothing really to do.

Personally, I'd recommend you just go to Lucien-L'Allier, Vendome or Montreal-West stations during rush hour and hop aboard (with a valid ticket of course :)) anything that fits your fancy.

You should also be warned that in the "aire de controle" (on a platform platform, on a train, etc.) you must have a valid ticket or you could be fined. And also FYI photography IS allowed on AMT property despite what security guards may tell you ;)

Suggestions:

Excellent suggestions... May I add:

- The Gallery cars are on the St-Jerome and Vaudreuil lines (as of this week)

- If you do get off at Dorion, plan ahead the only trains going back to Montreal in the PM are at 14:00, 17:00 and 20:00 and the local bus service is non-existent in that area..

- There's a bus than runs every half hour (during rush hour, in both directions) from Vaudreuil to Cote-Vertu metro station,

- If you like station infrastructure and want the opportunity to take aerial shots about the tracks, check out:

-- Grand Blvd

-- Elm and Westcroft

-- Saint-Basile-le-Grand Station

-- Pedestrian overpasses in Mont-Royal

Also, I suggest if you have any further questions about the AMT and their operations, you should ask them in the Agence métropolitaine de transport Thread, we do need to respect this is the STM Tid-Bits thread :)

Alex

Not sure if there are many drivers here or know of any drivers at the St-Laurent garage, but I heard about some terrible news this evening. A driver on the 64 apparently suffered a heart attack this evening at Cote-Vertu metro and was rushed to hospital. If anyone can fill me in on any details about how he's doing, please let me know.

Saw something interesting at Lionel-Groulx metro on Sunday, I could of sworn the these people were plain clothes STM fare inspectors/cops, one of them appeared to be writing a ticket against someone, and the other person enforced the STM rule of no bikes in the metro at someone who brought in his bike. I had no clue that they could do this.

En Transit (STL)
STO uses that too.
Next bus approaching (or something to this extent) (CyRide)

CyRide NEVER uses Out of Service. There are many alternatives available such as:

Returning to Garage

CyRide Maintenance

etc

If only OC Transpo would use that. Here are some they would probably use:

Deadheading to start a route

Standby

Here's a story in today's Gazette about an STM driver who apparently refused to speak English to a passenger, and when the passenger became agitated, she called the cops on him, and kicked him off the bus.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/driver...3769/story.html

Personally I think both were a little bit at fault here. If you're in Montreal, Quebec, you are only obliged to speak the only official language of the province which is French, so by him getting agitated at the driver and then insisting that he be served in English was his own fault, however it was a bit extreme to call the cops on him, which could have easily been resolved if she had just said to sit down, which is not that difficult to say in English or French, or just get off the bus. We don't know exactly what happened here, but if the driver felt her safety was in jeopardy, then she was in the right to call for help.

But anyways, it's not really a political discussion forum, so I'd just like to point your attention to the bus photo they used in the article. How great is it that on CTV and in the Gazette whenever they put up pics of buses they always use the rarest bus that I even have a hard time finding when fanning! 11-030 on the 66. :)

The next bus wouldn't take anyone in either? That's pretty extreme. I can understand both the driver and the foreign student, but disagree with both. He could have asked someone else in the bus, I'm sure someone spoke English in that bus, or at least understands it enough to show him a watch or a cell phone.

Here's a story in today's Gazette about an STM driver who apparently refused to speak English to a passenger, and when the passenger became agitated, she called the cops on him, and kicked him off the bus.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/driver...3769/story.html

Personally I think both were a little bit at fault here. If you're in Montreal, Quebec, you are only obliged to speak the only official language of the province which is French, so by him getting agitated at the driver and then insisting that he be served in English was his own fault, however it was a bit extreme to call the cops on him, which could have easily been resolved if she had just said to sit down, which is not that difficult to say in English or French, or just get off the bus. We don't know exactly what happened here, but if the driver felt her safety was in jeopardy, then she was in the right to call for help.

But anyways, it's not really a political discussion forum, so I'd just like to point your attention to the bus photo they used in the article. How great is it that on CTV and in the Gazette whenever they put up pics of buses they always use the rarest bus that I even have a hard time finding when fanning! 11-030 on the 66. :)

I will not comment on this story as it will get out of hand very quickly if I do... I'll only say that I'm discusted with the driver's actions in this case..

I highly doubt that.. this is just another example of english vs. french plain and simple..

I agree. The argument would have most likely happened whatever the race, the issue was language more than anything. However, I believe the second bus refusing to pick him up and the police getting involved probably had something a bit to do with race. Post 9/11, the world is a different place, people are more fearful now, and the driver probably panicked since she didn't understand him and he started to get agitated.

What I think the most appropriate action for the driver would have been just to ignore the person if you can't communicate with them, that way you just pass them off as being rude and walk away instead of getting in someone's face.