Société de transport de Montréal

mtltransitguy

The purpose of this thread is to discuss any bits of interesting information about the STM that aren't important enough to sustain a full topic.

I'll start off with an interesting little piece of info.

I was on a St-Laurent 22 the other day, the exact unit number escapes me, and I noticed that next to the balios control panel, there was a large sticker.

I got a closer look at it, luckily the bus was slightly SRO, so the driver didn't think it was odd that I was standing so close hovering forward, and it turned out to be instructions.

It is written in the typical modern-day STM font that seems to be popping up on more and more things the STM publishes, and gives instructions on what buttons to press in order to display a route.

IMO this is totally useless since it isn't that difficult to figure out, and if a driver dosen't know this before getting on the bus, then what did they teach him in training?

I have only seen this once, so it isn't exactly reliable either.

It reminded me of small Ontario systems that list all the routes on a similar sticker, but at least that is useful, simple instructions to press "Dest. A ### Entrez" are quite pointless if you ask me.

Under that however was something interesting, instructions on how to display a P/R followed by a list of the available PR messages.

Many of the PR's that we know weren't listed, I hope this does not mean that they have been wipped.

Also, the sticker is entitled something along the lines of "Utilisation de la girouette Balios".

The purpose of this thread is to discuss any bits of interesting information about the STM that aren't important enough to sustain a full topic.

I'll start off with an interesting little piece of info.

I was on a St-Laurent 22 the other day, the exact unit number escapes me, and I noticed that next to the balios control panel, there was a large sticker.

I got a closer look at it, luckily the bus was slightly SRO, so the driver didn't think it was odd that I was standing so close hovering forward, and it turned out to be instructions.

It is written in the typical modern-day STM font that seems to be popping up on more and more things the STM publishes, and gives instructions on what buttons to press in order to display a route.

IMO this is totally useless since it isn't that difficult to figure out, and if a driver dosen't know this before getting on the bus, then what did they teach him in training?

I have only seen this once, so it isn't exactly reliable either.

It reminded me of small Ontario systems that list all the routes on a similar sticker, but at least that is useful, simple instructions to press "Dest. A ### Entrez" are quite pointless if you ask me.

Under that however was something interesting, instructions on how to display a P/R followed by a list of the available PR messages.

Many of the PR's that we know weren't listed, I hope this does not mean that they have been wipped.

Also, the sticker is entitled something along the lines of "Utilisation de la girouette Balios".

You know, it's funny you mention this. I was riding 27-023 on the 15 earlier this week, and I noticed it had the same kind of "Balios Display for Dummies" sticker next to the display control panel. Trouble is, all 2005+ LFS have Axion displays, which is why I though the sticker was kinda funny.

Wow, I sure wouldn't want to be there then! ;)

Looks fun actually.

I'm sure this shot was taken a very slow shutter while the Metro was driving very slow during present on construction workers.

The guy must have been really still then!

On the CBC archives, you can see workers in that position as a train passes them by at a normal speed, so it isn't that uncommon in reality.

Although for the purposes of the photo, they might have just done it how you said.

• 1 month later...

Something boggles my mind from tonight. I was driving along Rosemont tonight and when I stopped at the light, it activated a white vertical LED light when the red light was on for a few seconds. Then it went out, red light continued more and then it turned green. No bus was present at these lights. Can this be the STM's traffic priority light system?

I heard Rosemont was going to get them so can this be it?!

Something boggles my mind from tonight. I was driving along Rosemont tonight and when I stopped at the light, it activated a white vertical LED light when the red light was on for a few seconds. Then it went out, red light continued more and then it turned green. No bus was present at these lights. Can this be the STM's traffic priority light system?

I heard Rosemont was going to get them so can this be it?!

This also happens on Beaubien corner St Denis.

I saw quite a few of these "feux cigares" on St. Michel as well. They're not active yet, though. I assume they're for the reserved lanes that will be installed on St. Michel in the not-to-distant future. I've also seen some at the intersection of Cote-de-Liesse (A-520) & A-40, and at Du Parc & Leo-Pariseau. These ones were active

Yup, the ones at Rosemont have been there for a while now too.

I was also surprised the first time I saw them.

The ones along St Michel have been there since last summer at least.

Remember this whole system should be more than extensive by now...Montreal...the molasses city.

• 4 weeks later...

STM 460 AM/PM STOPS

I've noticed these for a while. On Cote-de-Liesse many 460 stops say AM only or PM only or AM/PM. How strict are the drivers about this policy, and why does it exist?

it can't be to provide faster service because the 202 isn't as frequent as the 467/67 combination...

Alex

STM 460 AM/PM STOPS

I've noticed these for a while. On Cote-de-Liesse many 460 stops say AM only or PM only or AM/PM. How strict are the drivers about this policy, and why does it exist?

it can't be to provide faster service because the 202 isn't as frequent as the 467/67 combination...

Alex

Have always wondered about this myself.

At first thought it was meant to show the peak direction of the service, but I rejected this idea quickly.

From what I have witnessed, drivers will just stop everywhere all the time.

Have always wondered about this myself.

At first thought it was meant to show the peak direction of the service, but I rejected this idea quickly.

From what I have witnessed, drivers will just stop everywhere all the time.

While I was waiting at Cote-de-Liesse and Hickmore this morning I saw a 460 go by with passengers on the highway. There's no 460 AM East stop between Montée de Liesse and Cavendish.

New inside joke at the STM.

After the 109, and the 555, Les Chauffeur de la STM brings you: The East-Island Pranksters.

The new common practice at Garage Mont-Royal is for drivers to sign their buses up as a 200 series West-Island route when deadheading and out of service.

Witnessed: 200 St-Anne-De-Bellevue, 218 Antoine-Faucon, and 210 John Abott all within 15 min, all at the corner of St-Michel and Henri-Bourrassa.

Thoughts, comments?

• 1 month later...
The new 2009 map is out.

Yup and I absolutely love it!!!

OF INTEREST:

- EXPRESS Routes are now in Green

- CIT Connections shown at Terminuses (including CITSO et all "sur rue")

- Club de l'Age d'Or buses shown in Yellow

I was quite happy to notice these changes! Like Mario said, it's about time that these things were part of the map.

On all the recent image changes and promises from the STM:

I believe that the STM wishes to portray themselves in a new light, as is evident with the whole Mouvement Collectif campaign. Colouring express routes green, not only does this make it easier to identify them, but it also highlights the 'rapid service' network. In a perfect world many of these routes would be BRT, providing frequent service with articulate buses throughout the day. As you can now plainly see on the map, they take over where metro service is lacking. The joke's still on the rider however, as a fair number of these services remain rush-hour only.

Routes like the 410, 430, and 460 that could shine as all-day rapid transit service, are non-existant outside peak hours. There remains no other decent alternative when these routes do not operate. Instead you must add several blocks of time to your trip, or be prepared for loads more walking. But at least it's a start, the STM recognizes that these services are different, and should be distinctly labelled. In a way they are acknowledging the potential that these routes posses. Hopefully, with the 200+ new buses that are destined to arrive, such services increases will no longer be but a dream.

No matter how you look at it, we will have over 200 more buses available to provide service during rush hour. And these is currently nothing, apart from funding issues, stopping the STM from following through on what was proposed by me above. Why should only select areas have access to 'rapid service' while other residents suffer waiting for an SRO bus to swing by late and pick them up. This is the kind of service mentality that the STM has been known for, for years now, and it must stop. Things have to change if we expect people to rely on public transit.

Telling people that one bus takes 50 cars off the road and that one metro removes 750 is great, but how about putting more them out there. Use your own numbers and do the math! Fancy graphics and catchy taglines won't do anything to improve service levels, let's see some real 'Collective Movement' going on here. The STM keeps promising us that they have big projects planned, let's start seeing them instead of always telling us how great things are gonna be years down the road. Because by the time they get around to it, they are already years behind and oodles of new problems and dilemmas have created themselves in the meantime.

Other STM-Related Graphic/Publication topics:

I know Guy Concordia is also a big fan of the new Graphics Firm (I doubt this is the internal stm graphics department, if it exists, at work here), as am I. Looking forward to more great Mouvement Collectif spin-offs in the future.

As for this board periods Planibuses, I like them. I will always miss the old style, but due to the fact that this period they sport a much lighter ad, the Mouv. Collect. Chevrons, it is more appealing, plus the green helps too. It's too bad that not all of the planibuses were done like that of the 70/119/174, which all look extremely sharp IMO. However as has been mentioned before, this printing process costs a significant amount more than simple two tone-one colour printing, and even though it looks much nicer, it's honestly not worth the added expense to the STM, or it's riders. We should be happy that the STM isn't cheap unlike certain other agencies/carriers (*cough TTC, Greyhound)....

On the 2009 system map:

To be completely honest, I do not mind that it is white, actually I quite like it. White backgrounds work well with good, simple graphic design. The gradient on the words 'Le Plan Du Reseau de la STM' aren't really necessary, and I believe the whole thing would have looked sharper had that been solely coloured solid blue, and then Gratuit in green.

I am also pleased to see that they choose to go with thin paper for the second year in a row, after switching to thick, almost cardboard like stock in the mid-late 1990's. This wasted a lot of paper, and most people don't keep their maps long enough to make it worthwhile. I usually go through 2-3 system maps in a year, and if having a thicker map was an effort to curtail this, it failed. I much prefer the feel of this thinner map anyways, plus its easier to scribble on when indicating a location to tourists etc. I

Like Alex mentioned, CIT's are now given the limelight they deserve, and I am glad to see that they are finally acknowledging their importance, and the STM recognizes the fact that they provide the through service for these agencies. The CIT's advertise the STMs services, so it is only right for the STM to finally be doing the same.

The overall look of the map is also nicely updated and, much more friendlier in appearance, which goes hand in hand with the new STM.info, livery and overall image the STM is attempting to portray.

And if you're wondering where to pick up your copy of the 2009 system map, don't got to Berri, they are always out, mind you I managed to score an additional 2006 map, from a slightly playful lady changeur, who quickly whipped out a 2008 map after realizing how old the one she initially picked up was. Of course I wanted the older one, and politely asked if I may have it as well. She told me 'seulment un par clien', and I asked for the 2006 one instead.

Two other members managed to obtain one from Mc Gill Metro, although the changeur there was unwilling to hand out more than one between the both of them, which is stupid, since even though two people may know each other, if they split, it's not like they can each take 1/2 of the map! Personally, I have been able to take into my possession several copies of the update map from Cote-Vertu metro. If anyone has difficulty in acquiring one, let me know, I've got extra copies.

Oh, and yes the 2009 PLAN DU METRO is similar in designs as well, and equally as handsome.