Société de transport de Montréal

mtltransitguy

Get ready for some exclusive news my friends..

As per my discussion with an LA C.O., it seems that LA will be the last division to have classics after 2012! Yes, I did say after 2012. Lasalle will have a reserve fleet of 30 classics after 2012, while all other garages will have none left at this point in time. Those classics will be used for Alouettes shuttles, fireworks, festivals, SPS service and so on. The STM is aware that classics are better than the LFS when it comes to this kind of service.

Another piece of news, I was told that the STM mechanics, drivers and staff hate Novabus so much that they are pushing really hard for the STM to order from another builder! The next series in 2010 will be numbered 30-XXX and at this point is not confirmed to be Nova LFS buses! Let's hope this is true.

Ha! I had a feeling something like that would happen! At least they realize that certain buses serve a pupose better than others! It's just too bad they don't realize this also applies to regular service routes and not just shuttles. For example, the 400 series routes are perfectly suited to High Floor buses, as they are more or less commuter express operations.

The STM would also have been wise to build the Pie-IX BRT with a high-floor, high-platform set-up, as is seen elsewhere in the world. You decided to go cheap and remove the metro from that corridor, so at least make it as efficient as possible using the mode you have unfortunately chosen. [This line should be fully electric as well.]

That news does not suprise me in the least. The 1st gen has created a culture of Novabus haters, us amongst them. Even if Nova would put out an excellent top quality product, that all industry experts agree is the best bus out there, and runs like a charm with close to flawless design, we would all still hate it.

I believe that the current NovaBus LFS product is one of the best buses currently available on the North American market place. A few months ago this statement would never have had an ounce of truth. Unfortunately the Nova name has been associated with crap for so long, the two are almost now synonymous, and thus situations like the one Steve posted have produced themselves, people just hate nova.

I find it quite difficult to believe that we will order from another manufacturer, paying the full cost of the bus, for our regular service units. Especially when high-floor hating systems like STO and ST-Levis, continue to purchase new units from NovaBus. Remember gentlemen, a good portion of the cost of Qualite Quebec product is covered by the Gouvernment du Quebec, the STM pretty much gets two buses for the price of one with this arrangement. TBH, with the 3rd gen now here, it's really not worth the extra cost of purchasing from someone else.

That being said, it would quite interesting if we did order from NFI or Orion for our 2010 order. But we would still be receiving Nova products anyways, due to the close to 400 1st gen replacements that have yet to arrive, and the 200+ artics we will be getting. Come to think of it, why not go with another manufacturer for 2010! Nova will be so overloaded with everything else they are cranking out for the STM, that they won't really miss our business, and we would get some fleet variety, while at the same time still receiving Nova LFS's in the 30-xxx series! It's almost the busfan's dream; an order year with two entirely different models of bus!

Well, this is good news.

I think whatever the STM does, they'll have to get accessible buses. I hate lowfloors just as much as everyone else, but I have a feeling that political correctness will require them to continue making their buses accessible, unless they completely revamp their handicapped network.

I would be great if they find a new dealer though. Novabus is just...bad...in every way...there are no other words I can think of to describe it.

At last count there is only one manufacturer of High Floor Transit Buses left in North America, and I am not 100% if they are still producing that model anymore...NJT may have been the last to receive new HFs. Until the social problem of people with mobility disabilities is solved for good, we will continue to see accessibility as in issue across the board, and not only with transit. The FDA isn't going anywhere just yet, and neither are Low Floor, Accessible buses.

However I do believe that once some systems become 100% LF, and this isn't too far away from some unfortunately, they will discover the need for HF once again. The STM has already acknowledged this need. Orion has gotten a taste of it. When this point in time arrives, perhaps a manufacturer will seize the opportunity and resume production of a High Floor model of bus.

There is no one bus to suit all needs and applications, we should stop denying this fact of bus operations, and give passengers what they want: a HIGH class ride.

{Side note: lifts have vastly improved over the years, and with a few more improvements, there is absolutely no reason why a HF/Lift bus could not work in the future...with the amount of usage ramps get in certain cities, Montreal included, it's getting kind of hard to justify the accessibility argument towards LF bus purchases}

As for NovaBus = NovaBad: I will sum it up like this:

They once sucked, they got better, now they are pretty good: they have improved.

At last count there is only one manufacturer of High Floor Transit Buses left in North America, and I am not 100% if they are still producing that model anymore...NJT may have been the last to receive new HFs. Until the social problem of people with mobility disabilities is solved for good, we will continue to see accessibility as in issue across the board, and not only with transit. The FDA isn't going anywhere just yet, and neither are Low Floor, Accessible buses.

Who still produces High Floors?

Alex

Man... fleet variety is something we're defenetly missing. When the classics are almost all gone.. only LFS?! Nooooo way... Im gunna make suuure to have a perfect, reliable, 20+ year old car by 2012.. Damn. Its as lame, bland and SHIT as it gets!

Pleeease let us perchase from somewhere else... if anything, for the releif we'd get from the LFS when getting on it!

Nooooo way... Im gunna make suuure to have a perfect, reliable, 20+ year old car by 2012.. Damn. Its as lame, bland and SHIT as it gets!

Fishbowl fan?

I wish Montreal was more like Toronto sometimes & retained the good stuff, are some of those TTC Jane Street buses still Ex Montreal 24/25-XXX Series with the Orange Craig gates?. Montreal is kinda handcuffed with Nova & the Govt grants thing.

Fishbowl fan?

I wish Montreal was more like Toronto sometimes & retained the good stuff, are some of those TTC Jane Street buses still Ex Montreal 24/25-XXX Series with the Orange Craig gates?. Montreal is kinda handcuffed with Nova & the Govt grants thing.

Those ex-STM TTC New Looks (26xx) have all been retired since 2006 or 2007.

Fishbowl fan?

Mackay gates :(

I am as Fishbowl fan as it gets, man! Hell, in 2002 when we lost fishbowls, i was MIA on the busfan scene for a while. Im more of a Fishbowl/Newlook, and Classic (though less, but more now that they're leaving..) then a general bus fan... I think they're brilliant.

Yeah well they weren't just on Jane, I rode one on 41 Keele and they might have been on some other Arrow Road routes that went to a subway station without a fare paid zone. Also rode one with a friend on either Wilson or Weston Rd North.

Have you guys seen the commuters in Devon.... It`s kinda freaked out by the Camera, but apparently it lines up & waits with people up like normal....

A spokesman for First said that drivers had been bussing Casper around for months, but Mrs Finden said she had only just found out about his use of public transport.``

Cats...LOL...link below...

A notice has been put up by First in the bus drivers' rest room in Plymouth bus station asking them to look after the rogue passenger if they spot him sneaking on board.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/8174850.stm

Yeah well they weren't just on Jane, I rode one on 41 Keele and they might have been on some other Arrow Road routes that went to a subway station without a fare paid zone. Also rode one with a friend on either Wilson or Weston Rd North.

Does anyone know if a few Fish are still kicking(maybe our friends from Ontario can answer that)..... I am on the West-Island... I do spend some time in East-York outside lately(24 Victoria Park) & NYC, also what were those 24-25...xx renumbered too

I do know that Scarborough doesn't carry any of our home Fish.... So if they are still there, they must be at that Jane area & branch...

PS Just having conversation, hope thats OK

Lets see if the link works..... worst case copy paste it to address bar... Orange Gates in Toronto

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/images/bus-8502-04.jpg

R

Its legit still all connected, its a large world, but I guess I will...THX-Merci

Its just that you'll get a response to your question much faster and get a better answer than posting in the Quebec section. Most Ontario people don't even bother coming to read the Quebec section.

Its just that you'll get a response to your question much faster and get a better answer than posting in the Quebec section. Most Ontario people don't even bother coming to read the Quebec section.

I got you... sometimes we are preferred to have a discussion than an answer, that's how Montreal will return to the National League in Baseball, no hard hats....

• 2 weeks later...

New Artics to be displayed for public at an STM Press Conference tomorrow at 2:00pm!!

You'd think they could have given us more warning, but tomorrow at 2pm in front of City Hall (275 rue Notre-Dame Est), the STM will be showing off one of the new Artics, mainly for the media. The media will have a chance to go inside and get a "guided tour", and be able to participate in a press conference. I doubt they'll let anyone else inside, but the bus will be out there available to be photobraphed if anyone's interested. Unfortunately I won't be going because I have other commitments tomorrow afternoon, but I hope somebody here will go get some nice photos for us all to look at!

Here's the official press release (in french):

Sentinelle du Groupe CNW

SOCIETE DE TRANSPORT DE MONTREAL

Transmis par le Groupe CNW le : 10 Août 2009 10:23

Invitation - Les articulés de la STM arrivent en ville !

MONTREAL, le 10 août /CNW Telbec/ -

Le président du conseil d'administration de la

Société de transport de Montréal (STM),

M. Michel Labrecque

invite les médias à un point de presse

pour souligner l'arrivée de bus articulés à Montréal.

Ce point de presse aura lieu en présence

du maire de Montréal,

M. Gérald Tremblay

et du vice-président du comité exécutif de la Ville de

Montréal, responsable du dossier transport,

M. André Lavallée.

Les journalistes auront droit à une "visite guidée" du bus ce qui leur

permettra d'en constater les nouvelles caractéristiques. Des images pourront

être prises au moment de l'arrivée du bus sur la rue Notre-Dame, direction

Ouest.

Quoi : Point de presse / photo-op

Date : Le mardi 11 août 2009

Heure : 14 h

Lieu : Face à l'Hôtel de Ville

275, rue Notre-Dame Est

Montréal

Des entrevues individuelles, après le point de presse, seront possibles à

l'intérieur du bus.

-30-

/Renseignements: Marianne Rouette, Affaires publiques, (514) 280-5508/

New Artics to be displayed for public at an STM Press Conference tomorrow at 2:00pm!!

You'd think they could have given us more warning, but tomorrow at 2pm in front of City Hall (275 rue Notre-Dame Est), the STM will be showing off one of the new Artics, mainly for the media. The media will have a chance to go inside and get a "guided tour", and be able to participate in a press conference. I doubt they'll let anyone else inside, but the bus will be out there available to be photobraphed if anyone's interested. Unfortunately I won't be going because I have other commitments tomorrow afternoon, but I hope somebody here will go get some nice photos for us all to look at!

Here's the official press release (in french):

That's already been posted in the STM 29-8XX forum.

But I do plan on attending.

They just sent out another press release, I guess as a follow-up to the event:

VILLE DE MONTREAL - CABINET DU MAIRE ET DU COMITE EXECUTIF

Transmis par le Groupe CNW le : 11 Août 2009 14:22

Les articulés de la STM arrivent en ville !

MONTREAL, le 11 août /CNW Telbec/ - Le président du conseil

d'administration de la Société de transport de Montréal (STM) et conseiller de

ville dans le district Mile-End de l'arrondissement Plateau - Mont-Royal, M.

Michel Labrecque, le maire de Montréal, M. Gérald Tremblay, et le maire de

l'arrondissement de Rosemont - La Petite-Patrie, vice-président du comité

exécutif à la Ville de Montréal, responsable du Plan de transport, de

l'Aménagement urbain, du Patrimoine et du Design, M. André Lavallée, ont

souligné ce matin l'arrivée de bus articulés à Montréal.

Il s'agit des premiers de ces bus acquis par la STM à la suite de

l'approbation par le conseil d'administration, en décembre 2006, d'un

règlement autorisant l'emprunt de près de 182 M $ pour financer l'acquisition

de 202 bus articulés à plancher surbaissé.

"Déjà, à cette époque, nous avions souligné que les premiers bus

articulés circuleraient dans les rues de Montréal au cours de 2009", a déclaré

M. Labrecque. "Voilà que cela devient réalité puisque, à la fin de cette

année, nous aurons reçu 58 de ces bus, ce qui nous permettra de procéder, au

cours de l'automne, à leur intégration graduelle sur les lignes 69 - Gouin,

121 - Sauvé/Côte-Vertu puis 467 - Express St-Michel contribuant ainsi à une

nouvelle amélioration de notre service", a-t-il précisé.

"Montréal est résolument une ville de transports collectifs et actifs,

comme en témoigne l'arrivée de ces nouveaux bus articulés. Les villes

dynamiques sont celles qui ont des réseaux de transport en commun performant.

Grâce à l'amélioration des services offerts par la STM et aux divers projets

développés ou soutenus par notre Administration, nous préparons l'avenir de la

métropole en faisant du transport collectif le moyen privilégié de déplacement

des personnes", a déclaré le maire de Montréal.

"Conformément au Plan de transport, avec des autobus plus performants, la

création de nouvelles voies réservées et la mise en place de mesures

prioritaires, nous prenons les moyens nécessaires pour que les bus de la STM

rivalisent efficacement avec la voiture en termes de temps et de confort. De

plus en plus d'automobilistes vont sans doute réaliser qu'il est plus rapide,

plus confortable et moins coûteux de prendre le bus plutôt que leur voiture.

C'est un véritable changement d'habitude et de comportement que nous proposons

aux citoyens", a déclaré M. André Lavallée.

Rappelons que l'acquisition de ce type de bus est l'une des stratégies

retenues par la Société pour mieux répondre aux attentes de la clientèle

notamment en termes de confort à bord des véhicules. En effet, les articulés

présentent les caractéristiques suivantes : capacité de 115 personnes (vs 75

bus standard), 47 places assises (vs 31 bus standard), nouvelle rampe d'accès,

espace revu et amélioré pour fauteuil roulant et pour poussette, nouveau

design pour les sièges et les barres d'appui, allée de circulation plus large,

nouvelle fenestration à l'arrière, ouverture des fenêtres latérales par le

haut et pleine largeur et ajout de caméras.

Outre les 58 bus attendus en 2009, les autres seront livrés à la STM

selon la séquence suivante : 82 bus en 2010 et 62 en 2011. Par ailleurs, les

trois bus reçus à ce jour serviront à la formation des chauffeurs et du

personnel d'entretien.

En terminant, le président a tenu à réitérer le fait que la STM vit une

période de croissance et d'effervescence sans précédent. "Grâce aux

investissements de la Ville de Montréal et des différents paliers de

gouvernement, la STM est entrée dans le 21e siècle du transport collectif et

elle travaille sans relâche à améliorer ses services et sa performance

opérationnelle", a-t-il conclu, invitant les citoyens à joindre le Mouvement

collectif, car plus ils utilisent le transport collectif, plus ils font leur

part pour l'environnement et ce faisant, ils permettent à tous de mieux

RESPIRER.

-30-

/Renseignements: Marianne Rouette, Affaires publiques, STM, (514)

280-5508; Martin Tremblay, Cabinet du maire et du comité exécutif, (514)

872-0274/

SOCIETE DE TRANSPORT DE MONTREAL - Renseignements sur cet organisme

Communiqués de presse

(339)

VILLE DE MONTREAL - CABINET DU MAIRE ET DU COMITE EXECUTIF

VILLE DE MONTREAL - CABINET DU MAIRE ET DU COMITE EXECUTIF - Renseignements sur cet organisme

Communiqués de presse

(2047)

COMMUNIQUES MONTREAL

COMMUNIQUES MONTREAL - Renseignements sur cet organisme

Communiqués de presse

(1905)

• 2 weeks later...

Saw ads for Doors Open Legendre on buses and in the Metro today. Apparently, there will be many activities on-site, and there will be free shuttles to the garage from Metro Cremazie starting at 7 AM.

Also, new fare stickers are in the process of being applied to all STM buses. The new fare stickers feature the new font used in the STM's ads and on the front of the Planibus.

Speaking of, the new Planibus for the next board period are quickly becoming available. Picked up a few for several different routes already, including one each for the 57, 103, and 211... on board the 162, of all places :P!

Saw ads for Doors Open Legendre on buses and in the Metro today. Apparently, there will be many activities on-site, and there will be free shuttles to the garage from Metro Cremazie starting at 7 AM.
Er… On what date?