CP Power

TheAverageJoe

There was a short blurb in Metro today about CP having trouble with 40 new locomotives.

These would be the 8860-8899 series. There has been some discussion about them on the CPR Yahoogroup about problems with the Compressors. Here is a quote from Doug Cummings on that group "It is a minor problem. The last five are late because they changed the compressors at the factory. The others will be changed in Montreal. CP standard is Westinghouse but this order came with Gardner Denver and they proved to be unreliable. Until then the ones with the Gardner Denver compressors are restricted to trailing service only."

This would also explain why I have only been able to get a shot of one of these new units. #8864. I hardly see them around.

These would be the 8860-8899 series. There has been some discussion about them on the CPR Yahoogroup about problems with the Compressors. Here is a quote from Doug Cummings on that group "It is a minor problem. The last five are late because they changed the compressors at the factory. The others will be changed in Montreal. CP standard is Westinghouse but this order came with Gardner Denver and they proved to be unreliable. Until then the ones with the Gardner Denver compressors are restricted to trailing service only."

This would also explain why I have only been able to get a shot of one of these new units. #8864. I hardly see them around.

The problem with this is that the last 4 or 5 orders of locos (back to the 9700-series AC44's) are all Gardner-Denver air compressors as well.

The plot thickens....

Dan

Well that's the thing Peter, I hadn't heard about ANY problems with the ES44's.

And if it's the air compressors that's the issue, like I wrote, the last several orders have come with Gardner-Denver's instead of Wabtec's (which is what the first couple of orders arrived with).

Unless there is specifically a problem with the batch that were installed on this most recent order of ES44's.

Dan

Well that's the thing Peter, I hadn't heard about ANY problems with the ES44's.

And if it's the air compressors that's the issue, like I wrote, the last several orders have come with Gardner-Denver's instead of Wabtec's (which is what the first couple of orders arrived with).

Unless there is specifically a problem with the batch that were installed on this most recent order of ES44's.

Dan

I wonder if the guys on the CPR Yahoogroup are aware of this at all? Are you on that group?

I wonder if the guys on the CPR Yahoogroup are aware of this at all? Are you on that group?

If anyone would know, I would assume that it's the people there.

I am a member, but I only very occasionally check the group. I've got my hands full with the other 20 or so groups that I'm a member of to look at the CPR or CN groups much.

Dan

• 3 months later...
CP 8817 and AC4400CW at North Vancouver on the former BC Rail. Part of a CN/CP co-porduction train. CP drops the train off at Boston Bar where a CN crew takes it through to North Vancouver.

8817sm.jpg

KEWL PHOTO! Thanks! One minor thing though... AFAIK, the newer GE's for CP are actually model ES44CW. Did you take a pic of BCR 3906?? That's the only one I have ever personally seen for BCR that's like that one and I got pics of it running for CN a few years ago in Calgary at the Sarcee yard.

KEWL PHOTO! Thanks! One minor thing though... AFAIK, the newer GE's for CP are actually model ES44CW. Did you take a pic of BCR 3906?? That's the only one I have ever personally seen for BCR that's like that one and I got pics of it running for CN a few years ago in Calgary at the Sarcee yard.

Nope, CP's are model ES44AC.

More of 3906

bcr3906.jpg

3906.jpg

and some of 3907

3907.jpg

3907a.jpg

I was cycling along Lakeshore Blvd East near Carlaw Ave in Toronto and came across these engines. They were delivering tank cars for the Ashbridges Bay Treatment Plant. It was exciting to see movement in this area as I have cycled by the rail yard between the Don Valley Park Way and Carlaw but never seen a train here.

The other interesting note is that there was a CN engine also parked in the yard, with several flatcars of ties and a large generating unit. When the CP train was exiting the Treatment plant after dropping off its load, fellow cyclists reacted with surprise that a train was using the tracks. I guess they never noticed the rails!

The pictures are a little fuzzy as I was taking them while cycling and with a blackberry. From what I can tell, besides the Redpath Sugar Factor on Queens Quay and two industries on Lakeshore Blvd East, the Treatment plant is one of the last customers on the tracks in the portlands. From what I can tell by the level of rust on the tracks, all of the industries along Villiers, Cherry, Unwin, and Basin , as well as the LCBO on Queens Quay East, either no longer or very infrequently use rail service.

The CP engines are 8203 and 8221. The CN engine was 4111. I believe they are all GP9s. Does anyone know the history of the tracks in this year, the current schedule, or the future prospects of rail service in this area? I know that they recent converted CN's Don Yard to a GO Train yard.

(In case anyone is wondering, I took all of these pictures from PUBLIC land as the bike path runs right beside the tracks)

IMG00071.jpg

IMG00073.jpg

IMG00079.jpg

IMG00096.jpg

IMG00089.jpg

IMG00107.jpg

IMG00147.jpg

IMG00070.jpg

IMG00100.jpg

IMG00067.jpg

IMG00065.jpg

IMG00087.jpg

The CP engines are 8203 and 8221. The CN engine was 4111. I believe they are all GP9s. Does anyone know the history of the tracks in this year, the current schedule, or the future prospects of rail service in this area? I know that they recent converted CN's Don Yard to a GO Train yard.

(In case anyone is wondering, I took all of these pictures from PUBLIC land as the bike path runs right beside the tracks)

The CP locomotives are actually GP9u's, don't know what the "u" stand for in designation, but could be "utility"

The CN locomotive is also a GP9RM, I don't know what the "RM" stands for, but correct me if I am wrong...... Re-Manufactured.... chopped nosed instead of the high hood?

I was cycling along Lakeshore Blvd East near Carlaw Ave in Toronto and came across these engines. They were delivering tank cars for the Ashbridges Bay Treatment Plant. It was exciting to see movement in this area as I have cycled by the rail yard between the Don Valley Park Way and Carlaw but never seen a train here.

The other interesting note is that there was a CN engine also parked in the yard, with several flatcars of ties and a large generating unit. When the CP train was exiting the Treatment plant after dropping off its load, fellow cyclists reacted with surprise that a train was using the tracks. I guess they never noticed the rails!

The pictures are a little fuzzy as I was taking them while cycling and with a blackberry. From what I can tell, besides the Redpath Sugar Factor on Queens Quay and two industries on Lakeshore Blvd East, the Treatment plant is one of the last customers on the tracks in the portlands. From what I can tell by the level of rust on the tracks, all of the industries along Villiers, Cherry, Unwin, and Basin , as well as the LCBO on Queens Quay East, either no longer or very infrequently use rail service.

Wow, all the times I've been down there and thought how cool it would have been to see a train there, and you saw one! Great, just get yourself a real camera for next time, and you're all set! :P

Also, it doesn't take very long for rail to rust over, so the spurs may get weekly train service, mind you, that's just a guess.

Wow, all the times I've been down there and thought how cool it would have been to see a train there, and you saw one! Great, just get yourself a real camera for next time, and you're all set! :P

The CP train that works there is usually a night train, hence why photos of it are rarely seen :P

Nice stuff railfandrew...looks like you spent some time following it around!

The CP locomotives are actually GP9u's, don't know what the "u" stand for in designation, but could be "utility"

The CN locomotive is also a GP9RM, I don't know what the "RM" stands for, but correct me if I am wrong...... Re-Manufactured.... chopped nosed instead of the high hood?

The "u" on CP's GP9u designation stands for upgraded.

The "RM" on CN's GP9RM designation stands for re-manufactured.

Also, it doesn't take very long for rail to rust over, so the spurs may get weekly train service, mind you, that's just a guess.

Maybe I should tell you when CN 543 goes down into Keating Yard and does a few places along there on the TTR next time :P