CP Power

TheAverageJoe

Well, a very nice surprise in Banff today during a trip there with 4 Ontario fans and one other Calgary Fan. #3084 and 3049 with the business class cars just starting off to head west from the Banff Train Station. Enjoy!

3084left.jpg 3084leftr.jpg

3049r.jpg 3049.jpg

Very nice to meet them!

Any idea on a fleet number and what this unit looks like? I will keep an eye out for it once I know. I am not the greatest with the models and makes of some locomotives.

Oh wait, you mean 1400, 1900, & 1401? Probably a stupid question! :-p

No its not a Railpower unit, its a NRE Demo in their new Grey and Blue colours, there is a pic of it from a week ago on locophoto.com

• 2 months later...
6711 is still kicking around? Wow, I thought CP got rid of or turned all the SW9's into slugs.

That was one of the last of the SW8/SW900's, and became the Ogden shop switcher. Another one, 6716, was turned into a remote drone and renumbered 6195, but was sold off in 2006. The rest were either retired and sold off or converted to slugs.

All the SW9's (7400 series) were rebuilt into the 1200's, and later were sold off/rebuilt as slugs/RC units.

Whats the difference between at SW9 and SW1200RS

Build dates. SW9's were built in the early 1950's, until 1953 and the SW1200 was introduced in 1954. 6711 is an SW900. 900 hp instead of 1200 hp of the SW1200. CP used the SW900's and SW8's on Vancouver Island to switch the industries down store street downtown Victoria. SW8's 6701 and 6702 were the regulars but when they were in Coquitlam for maintenance, SW900's 6709 or 6713 were used.

Build dates. SW9's were built in the early 1950's, until 1953 and the SW1200 was introduced in 1954. 6711 is an SW900. 900 hp instead of 1200 hp of the SW1200. CP used the SW900's and SW8's on Vancouver Island to switch the industries down store street downtown Victoria. SW8's 6701 and 6702 were the regulars but when they were in Coquitlam for maintenance, SW900's 6709 or 6713 were used.

Additionally, the "RS" units had Flexicoil road trucks and different-style front numberboards.

Additionally, the "RS" units had Flexicoil road trucks and different-style front numberboards.

IIRC the RS stood for "Road Switcher". CN had both SW1200's and SW1200RS. The RS units had flexicoil trucks, modified numberboards, and MU capability. If you look at the CP or CN SW8's they are not MU equipped. CN's plain SW1200's were the same I believe.

MU capability for switchers was always an option from EMD/GMD. Look at the TR/cow-calf combos from the 1930ies and 1940ies, or even GTW's own SW1200's.

The "RS" package took it to a whole new level though. They were switchers that had the capability to go out on the mainline, and not just on-line switching either.

Funny enough EMD would bring back that concept 20 years later with the SW1504, and its successor the MP15's.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

How many NREX leasers does CP have running across the system now? what models and how long are they leased until? Im guessing until the next batch of GE's come? when ever that is and how many GE's? lol. For the NREX units I know they have a rebuild ex NS, nee CR SD50 in new NREX paint, some ex SP,UP,CP,BNSF(In old ATSF paint) SD40-2's/SD40T-2's running around

• 4 weeks later...

Since Peter hasn't posted anything from our trip yet... I'll start...

CP 8792 leading 9595. I don't recall exactly where we took these pics. It was after Lytton and before Spences Bridge, at some close for the season Provincial Park. The only Provincial Park on the map between those two locations is Skihist Provincial Park, so that was probably it. As Peter remarked today, it does almost look like a model train from our vantage point. I personally think the second image I included of this train looks even more like a model railroad. The train was a EB autorack train.

The other image is of 8858 in Field in it's special livery for the 2010 Olympics. We had actually seen this train the night before heading east sometime after dark. I believe after we had gotten closer to Golden.

We were pleasently surprised to find the train the next morning sitting in Field. The other locomotive that was with that train was CEFX 1038.

DSC07051.JPG

DSC07054.JPG

DSC07183.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Is this ex CP 5855??

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?...824&nseq=77

How many SD40-2 are now left in service on CP?? and 778 is the last non DB SD40-2 on the system assigned as the yard goat in Bensenville yard ?

Is this ex CP 5855??

How many SD40-2 are now left in service on CP?? and 778 is the last non DB SD40-2 on the system assigned as the yard goat in Bensenville yard ?

look what else I found

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?...28&nseq=173

is this part of the 10 ex Connell leasing units that where on CP for a while????????

Is this ex CP 5855??

look what else I found

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?...28&nseq=173

is this part of the 10 ex Connell leasing units that where on CP for a while????????

Yes, but they didn't go anywhere on CP: they were stored out of service. Three were repainted and apparently ran for a bit.

Yes that is former CP 5855. They relocated the headlight though.

Mike's the SD40-2 guy, he probably knows the breakdown. But most of the 5500 and a lot of 5600 series units are gone, with plenty of units left in the 57/58/59 and 60 series (for now).

• 2 months later...
Looks like they are getting ready to move GE #8814 somewhere to be repaired after the derailment she was involved along with #8644 which I do not believe will be repaired. #8814 is now on QTTX Flat car #131342 and her trucks are on a CP Rail car. Fleet number was hard to read on that one.

Considering how new the unit is, my guess is that it's going back to GE for the work.

Dan

Considering how new the unit is, my guess is that it's going back to GE for the work.

Dan

Yes, that is my guess as well. Here's another shot that I got today. 7 Locomotives on the move with nothing else. GE's, GP38-2's, SD40-2's...

8752train.jpg

And for those that are interested, I have added 16 photos to my CP Rail Photo Gallery on my website today. Enjoy!

http://www.busdrawings.com/rail/index.htm

They are matching units 8865 and 8866; I'm refering to post #88 where M. Parsons posted 8858; which means more than one unit is painted in the 2010 Olympics Livery.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=220441

8860-8879 are all painted in the Olympic livery, and fresh from GE delivery on CP. 8858/8859 were the first two done, painted by CP.

According to the CPR Yahoogroup, it will be #'s 8860-8877 that will be in the Olympic livery to being the total units in Olympic livery to 20 when you include #'s 8858 & 8859.

Woops, my bad. Correct only 20.

And yes, they have french on one side, english on the other...all in rather tiny writing.