Mr. Linsky

'THE ILLUSIVE LACMTA RTS'

In other news, I saw quite a few RTSs on the 2-Sunset Boulevard today, during the start of the PM rush hour. They're not dead yet. :P

As for the condition of LACMTA's buses, they're generally in fine condition -- I don't know where the idea comes from that they're all "disgusting." A few have scratched windows, yes, but what standard is one looking for? This isn't a small-town bus system where buses rarely see vandalism, we're talking about the third-largest public transit system in the United States. And given that LACMTA won the 2006 "Best Transit System" APTA award, they're doing something right.

Jan Boic   
In other news, I saw quite a few RTSs on the 2-Sunset Boulevard today, during the start of the PM rush hour. They're not dead yet. ;)

As for the condition of LACMTA's buses, they're generally in fine condition -- I don't know where the idea comes from that they're all "disgusting." A few have scratched windows, yes, but what standard is one looking for? This isn't a small-town bus system where buses rarely see vandalism, we're talking about the third-largest public transit system in the United States. And given that LACMTA won the 2006 "Best Transit System" APTA award, they're doing something right.

When I was taking the 760 Disneyland/Los Angeles route from downtown in May with my girlfriend during vacation, the only noticable things really on the buses was the pleksy-glass windows really scratched up. Not much graffiti anywhere. I rode a few D40s on the 14 as well when we went to CBS Studios to see the Late Late Show, as well as the 96 from Universal City Station. We got a Gillig Phantom on that route too! I didnt know how many Gilligs there were, so I thought i'd see another one and didn't photograph that one, only to find out there were like two of them in service... :P

Shot quite a few RTS' at Union Station when I went again in October.

In other news, I saw quite a few RTSs on the 2-Sunset Boulevard today, during the start of the PM rush hour. They're not dead yet. :P

-even small towns have little bastards. ;)

When I was taking the 760 Disneyland/Los Angeles route from downtown in May with my girlfriend during vacation, the only noticable things really on the buses was the pleksy-glass windows really scratched up. Not much graffiti anywhere.

The windows on some of the buses are in fairly bad condition, but that's the worst thing I can think of. I've seen a bit of graffiti, but it's not widespread. And the Metro Rail cars are immaculate.

I rode a few D40s on the 14 as well when we went to CBS Studios to see the Late Late Show,

Close, C40s. ;)

as well as the 96 from Universal City Station. We got a Gillig Phantom on that route too! I didnt know how many Gilligs there were, so I thought i'd see another one and didn't photograph that one, only to find out there were like two of them in service... :P

That's right -- the LACMTA fleet has only two Gillig Phantoms, originally from Foothill Transit, and currently operated by a private contractor (Veolia, I think, although I'm not sure.)

They're very elusive, as I've only managed to photograph one in my two years living here. I think one might be assigned to the 96 (a subcontracted route), with the other one possibly on another subcontracted route in East Los Angeles. I saw one with its front sign reading "FOOTHILL TRANSIT" -- I guess they didn't bother to reprogram them! :)

Jan Boic   

I'm dying to come back to Los Angeles. If I could, I would move there. Maybe one day! :P Well.. not right downtown, but Orange County.

Saw quite a few C40s with the old livery, as well as RTS'. How many approx. left?

All of the C40s have been repainted into "Metro Local" colors, as well as all of the Neoplans. The buses still in the "yellow jacket" scheme are a handful of NABI 40-LFWs (also with the first-generation Metro Rapid colors) and New Flyer C40LFs, as well as roughly half of the remaining RTSs (I don't know what the current RTS population is, although it's declining with the delivery of new NABI Metro 45Cs.)

A. Wong   

Topic cleaned up.

Please keep discussion constructive and state your opinions as such. Broad generalizations about the maintenance of a large fleet based on a few observations is misleading.

ATE2   
All of the C40s have been repainted into "Metro Local" colors, as well as all of the Neoplans. The buses still in the "yellow jacket" scheme are a handful of NABI 40-LFWs (also with the first-generation Metro Rapid colors) and New Flyer C40LFs, as well as roughly half of the remaining RTSs (I don't know what the current RTS population is, although it's declining with the delivery of new NABI Metro 45Cs.)

Now Venice yard has quite a lot NABI Metro 45C. Below are some shots outside the Venice yard and UCLA:

IMG_6783.jpg

IMG_6785.jpg

IMG_7355.jpg

IMG_6675.jpg

OT: i was so surprised that there was a D40LF with the old livery. I though all of them have new color already:

IMG_7376.jpg

I took a peek into Division 12 today, and saw a multitude of RTSs in various stages of retirement. Some still had their Metro logos, others had them spray-painted over, and still others were beginning to be stripped. The depot was deserted (as it was a weekend) but there was a gray cat in the middle of the bus yard who gave me an inquisitive stare as I took photos through the fence. Very odd...

1438.jpg 1440.jpg

1440 appears to have been retired very recently -- it has the "Go humans go" side advertisement for Quaker Oats, which was launched only a few weeks ago.

I also saw a few pre-1990 RTSs, one of which was 4424 (1982 35-foot GMC RTS, retired in 2007), and another one can be seen at the extreme left in my picture above of 1438. Unfortunately they couldn't be easily photographed.

1438.jpg

1440.jpg

post-2804-1239518296_thumb.jpg

post-2804-1239518308_thumb.jpg

post-2804-1239518296_thumb.jpg

post-2804-1239518308_thumb.jpg

I took a peek into Division 12 today, and saw a multitude of RTSs in various stages of retirement. Some still had their Metro logos, others had them spray-painted over, and still others were beginning to be stripped. The depot was deserted (as it was a weekend) but there was a gray cat in the middle of the bus yard who gave me an inquisitive stare as I took photos through the fence. Very odd...

1438.jpg 1440.jpg

1440 appears to have been retired very recently -- it has the "Go humans go" side advertisement for Quaker Oats, which was launched only a few weeks ago.

I also saw a few pre-1990 RTSs, one of which was 4424 (1982 35-foot GMC RTS, retired in 2007), and another one can be seen at the extreme left in my picture above of 1438. Unfortunately they couldn't be easily photographed.

P of A,

The only LACMTA RTS's that I see now in my travels are on a Sunset Boulevard run (pictured below) between downtown and Westwood.

I've seen a photo of the yards with the RTS's in rows with their bike racks already removed.

I'm hoping that they are only being mothballed in case they're needed down the road (not a pun) when funds for new equipment dries up!

Thanks and happy Easter.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

IMG_0236-1.jpg

IMG_0243-1.jpg

IMG_0237-1.jpg

P.S.; look's like we both took pictures of 1449!

Mr. 'L'

ieko   
...I'm hoping that they are only being mothballed in case they're needed down the road (not a pun) when funds for new equipment dries up!...

I think that's really unlikely since the LACMTA is one of the few agencies with money to expand services thanks to measure R passing.

I still see RTS' on 33 during rush hour, I suspect you can find them on the 30/31 as well.

LJ7006   

But as the get more of the 45C (81XX), I think the RTS's will be gone soon. Last time I went to division 6 in Feb and only 1/4 were 45C but this time I went there last thursday like only 1/4 are Rts's d40lf's. So I think once they get more of the 45C the RTS will be gone

But as the get more of the 45C (81XX), I think the RTS's will be gone soon. Last time I went to division 6 in Feb and only 1/4 were 45C but this time I went there last thursday like only 1/4 are Rts's d40lf's. So I think once they get more of the 45C the RTS will be gone

Definitely. In fact, the 45Cs will not only replace the RTSs, but the older Neoplans (45xx-46xx series.) I don't know what's happening to the D40LFs, though.

ieko   

I'll miss those neoplans though, they sure have a unique sound.

Division ^ is Venice right? I thought they could only refuel with diesel, so I wonder how they're going to refuel CNG busses?

Saw an unidentified RTS (1259?) on the 217 this afternoon, and a few more on the 2.

I also took a 2009 Metro 45C for the first time (2 eastbound from UCLA transit center.) Just after I boarded, I overheard someone say "I can smell the newness!"

ieko   
Saw an unidentified RTS (1259?) on the 217 this afternoon, and a few more on the 2.

I also took a 2009 Metro 45C for the first time (2 eastbound from UCLA transit center.) Just after I boarded, I overheard someone say "I can smell the newness!"

Did it have LED lighting? When I've seen them go by it looked as if they did but I've always been too far to check.

LJ7006   

Lucky you

I never had a ride on the new 45C but I only rode on the 42BRT(4200) twice and took so many pictures.

I will post the pictures of 4200 later

Did it have LED lighting? When I've seen them go by it looked as if they did but I've always been too far to check.

I think it was fluorescent, but I'm not sure -- wasn't really paying attention, and I don't think the lights were even on.

I saw 42-BRT #4205 on Line 685 (Glassell Park-Glendale College) again today. Hopefully it's still there on Monday...