Mr. Linsky

'THE ILLUSIVE LACMTA RTS'

Up until some months or so ago, RTS's still proliferated the scene here in Los Angeles on virtually every west side route, and all dressed up in the latest orange and gray 'Local' colors.

Now, I don't know whether it's coincidence or not but ever since I've become a shutter bug with buses as my main focus (actually, my only focus), the RTS has suddenly disappeared from the streets.

Admittedly, I'm not certain that they haven't just been moved to other areas or their life cycles are now coming to an end.

Either way, I will certainly miss them and all that they once stood for!

I will say that the occasional one that I now spot (as pictured below) seems to look and sound tired as it lumbers along at nowhere near the pace of its newer cousins.

Maybe it is time to say goodbye to the RTS just as we did the New Look and the Old Look before it!

It's sad!

Photo taken by this writer.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

IMG_0197.jpg

M.Wright   

Just to think, up until 2005, those RTSs still had the same style as the brand new buses being produced. RTS, a bus that will never be forgotten.

There are still plenty of RTSs in service for LACMTA, unless they've gotten rid of them all in two weeks.

A good number of RTSs reside at Venice division, at the corner of Main Street and Sunset Avenue in the Venice area of Los Angeles. Most of the buses leave the garage before PM rush hour (around 3:00 PM) and can be seen pulling out en masse. They usually go into service on the 33 or 333 lines.

A few RTSs still belong to other divisions, although it's difficult to find those as they're scattered throughout the system.

Nevertheless, all RTSs will be retired very soon as they are major polluters (with their 6v92 engines) and are nearly 17 years old.

RTS_04   

Sounds like they're more 'elusive' than 'illusive,' unless they simply are illusions...

Sounds like they're more 'elusive' than 'illusive,' unless they simply are illusions...

I was just thinking of that myself! :rolleyes:

But what if they're allusions to something else?

Thanks all for the definition correction - but the RTS's are so rare now that when you see one you think it's an illusion! that's a cop out but how else am I going to explain myself?

I'm around the West Hollywood Depot very often but no longer see any RTS's stationed there.

How ironic it is that the end of the RTS may coincide with the end of GM!

It makes me sick to think about!

Pictured below is a salute to an old friend - but don't despair! Green Line Number 10001 has become a permanent member of the New York Transit Authority Museum and is kept at JFK Depot which was its home.

Interestingly, # 10001 was the ten thousandth and first RTS to be built and was dubbed as such by the company (it's originally assigned fleet # was 221).

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

BUSFEST9.jpg

RTS_04   

Keeping with the SoCal theme, Long Beach Transit #4477 was the 10,000th RTS. LBT #4701, a '78 TH-8201, was the first customer RTS built. LBT also tried to get ahold of the last GM RTS built, but didn't manage to - Kansas City did instead.

There are still plenty of RTSs in service for LACMTA, unless they've gotten rid of them all in two weeks.

A good number of RTSs reside at Venice division, at the corner of Main Street and Sunset Avenue in the Venice area of Los Angeles. Most of the buses leave the garage before PM rush hour (around 3:00 PM) and can be seen pulling out en masse. They usually go into service on the 33 or 333 lines.

A few RTSs still belong to other divisions, although it's difficult to find those as they're scattered throughout the system.

Nevertheless, all RTSs will be retired very soon as they are major polluters (with their 6v92 engines) and are nearly 17 years old.

LACMTA never repowered them with Series 50? That's a long time for a 6V92TAC engine.

LACMTA never repowered them with Series 50? That's a long time for a 6V92TAC engine.

This may in fact is the age is too old to retrofication and all the other stuff you can't put on.

M.Wright   

They were the best buses in the USA. I'd hate to see them go away without riding them. :)
I hear you, but I was fortunate enough to ride one in NYC on the Canadian Thanks Giving weekend in 2001, right after 9/11. But if I didn't do it then, which sadly I don't even remember it that well as I wasn't even a transit fan back then, I never would of rode one.

RTS_04   

I just found a crap ton of 'em this afternoon, although they're as active as the Division 12 garage that houses them. Photos to come once I find my card reader.

DRT   

What are they doing with them? auctioning them off or scrapping?

you know LACMTA should have repowered the 1988,1989 and 1992 TMC with Detroit Diesel Series 50 a long time ago and removed the 6V92TA.

NYCT repower their GMC rebuilt RTS-1981/1982,1984,1985,1985 and 1986 GMC RTS and the 1987,1990,1991,1992,and 1993 TMC RTS to Detroit Diesel Series 50 since NYCT maintains better their buses that's why NYC Buses are better and also NYCT repower their 1993 Orion V with Detroit Diesel series 50 EGR and they removed the Detroit Diesel 6V92TA and Cummins C8.3 and they repower the 1994-1995 Orion V CNG with Detroit Diesel series 50G EGR

(CNG fuel) a long time ago.

but Long Island bus did not repower the 1990/1991 Orion V and the 1996,1997,and 1998 with Detroit Diesel 50 because they do a crappy job maintaining their buses!

I hope MTA BUS takes over Long Island Bus!

LACMTA does a crappy job maintaining their buses.

BusMaxx   

WOW!!! All those buses, gone in one shot. There are cities with fleets that size.... imagine that ;) I just wonder what it would take for a private (or public) operator to get some of these north of the border. I'll take 10 please :P

you know LACMTA should have repowered the 1988,1989 and 1992 TMC with Detroit Diesel Series 50 a long time ago and removed the 6V92TA.

NYCT repower their GMC rebuilt RTS-1981/1982,1984,1985,1985 and 1986 GMC RTS and the 1987,1990,1991,1992,and 1993 TMC RTS to Detroit Diesel Series 50 since NYCT maintains better their buses that's why NYC Buses are better and also NYCT repower their 1993 Orion V with Detroit Diesel series 50 EGR and they removed the Detroit Diesel 6V92TA and Cummins C8.3 and they repower the 1994-1995 Orion V CNG with Detroit Diesel series 50G EGR

(CNG fuel) a long time ago.

but Long Island bus did not repower the 1990/1991 Orion V and the 1996,1997,and 1998 with Detroit Diesel 50 because they do a crappy job maintaining their buses!

I hope MTA BUS takes over Long Island Bus!

LACMTA does a crappy job maintaining their buses.

how would you know?

-been to L.A. lately?