YRT/Viva New Vehicle Deliveries

59 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

@H4 5600 You may laugh react but that's apparently according to a TOK Supervisor. That's what Cowdrey told us.

He's not a reliable source.

Same with anything that is just heard from a random driver or supervisor. BTW, because YRT contracts out operations, the drivers and supervisors don't work for the same company that orders the buses, and there's a couple layers of separation from the front-line staff and the admin/office staff. So rumours and wrong info can happen often.

Let's wait until we have a more firm source of info before assuming what the fleet numbers for this year's orders will be. There are going to be XE40, XD40, XD60, LFS Artic (for Viva), and potentially Mobility Plus cutaways, so lots of vehicles to fit into 99 digits. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ns8401 said:

A 40 footer that I was unable to turn my head quick enough for a number as well as 60 footers 2249 and 2250 were headed towards the border at Port Huron today. Seen in the same general area as the ones from the other day in Michigan.

2250 was spotted as a hotel in Cambridge.

14 minutes ago, PrimeTio said:

Does YRT not publicly send out their procurements like other agency’s to see what buses they ordered? It’s strange that they don’t.

They do send out procurements when they need additional buses. Though it looks like they simply added it onto existing orders since their purchasing cycle is usually for x amount of units for y amount of years. Which is cheaper to add more to an existing order than go through a procurement process again. 

Considering there are only two bus manufacturers that would qualify. Nova and New Flyer. 

Here is one example for 12 metre conventional buses:

https://york.bidsandtenders.ca/Module/Tenders/en/Tender/Detail/2be8d72b-0c23-4287-b67d-e3eefb4c9a87

There was also one years ago where they were seeking 51 articulated buses for rapid transit (Viva) and 28 for conventional transit. The order was split with Nova taking the Viva contract while New Flyer got the conventional transit. 

32 minutes ago, PrimeTio said:

Does YRT not publicly send out their procurements like other agency’s to see what buses they ordered? It’s strange that they don’t.

They do public tenders, like multiple agencies and as required by law; however, lately they've been doing multi-year tenders, where they will do an award for 3-4 purchasing years to the same manufacturer. I know for sure these 2022 artics are part of the same multi-year tender that the 2020 artics were delivered under, and I believe the 40 foot diesels are also part of a multi-year tender.

I believe Regional Council has delegated authority to award larger tenders to staff, rather than have multiple contract award reports (that normally just automatically pass on consent anyway) clog up Council meeting agendas. Since the summary reports for these types of contract tenders may only appear on Council agendas every 6-12 months, information is no longer timely or detailed.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

2254 entered service on 90 Leslie (Transsee)

Didn't think that BRT was adding more articulated buses for the conventional route. Unless they are replacing units transferred to Southwest to address a shortage plus with the mileage articulated buses are accumulating on 20 Jane.