CTA pulls 200+ NABI artics off the roads

MT0603

This has not got to be good for the CTA... http://forum.chicagobus.org/index.php?showtopic=1465. What a shame, those buses are only from 2003 and already 15 of them have been retired for good. I hope they make a return to service because I'm going to Chicago in May and am really looking forward to riding some.

Here's the fleet page for the 60-LFWs, http://www.chicagobus.org/bus/7500

I find it quite surprising that LACTMA isn't reporting the same issue with their NABI 60-BRTs. I am guessing there are significant structural differences between the 60-LFW and 60-BRT.

I think theirs are newer than the CTA's 60-LFW.

I find it quite surprising that LACTMA isn't reporting the same issue with their NABI 60-BRTs. I am guessing there are significant structural differences between the 60-LFW and 60-BRT.

Aside from a couple tons of plastic? No, I don't think so.

I was in Chicago just last weekend and saw these NABIs. I took pics of them, but didn't ride them. Were they all not safe? I know CTA had some problems with the structure and suspension with some of the NABIs. Its strange they pull all of them off the roads.

Oh well, not a fan of NABIs.

I had a chance to ride some of CTA's NABI 60-LFWs back in 2006. They were fine from a passenger's perspective, but that doesn't mean much in terms of the bus's overall structure. (And generally NABI makes good buses: the 60-LFWs were their first low floor articulated buses and they probably hadn't refined the mechanical design quite enough.)

We could be in for another NYCTA Grumman 870 debacle, but hopefully not.

Looks pretty serious to me! (shades of the 870's in New York).

It leads one to wonder about the 60 BRT's, and what might happen if the hundreds already in service in Los Angeles were suddenly removed from the road.

Officials seem to be much more forthcoming about these matters today than they were years back.

In fact, nothing was ever publicized concerning the 'roof shimmy' on the original GM New Looks or the inherent weakness also in the roofs of the 4509's and 4510's that was corrected on the 4511's and 4512's.

It looks as though NABI's upward rise could be short lived!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

I have just been informed that LACMTA did have structural problems with the NABI 60 BRT's early on and pulled them from the road.

I don't know the nature or seriousness of those problems but the buses were inspected and returned to service shortly after.

I have just been informed that LACMTA did have structural problems with the NABI 60 BRT's early on and pulled them from the road.

I don't know the nature or seriousness of those problems but the buses were inspected and returned to service shortly after.

Yeah, there's even pictures posted on the 3rd page of the thread I posted.

<br />Maybe the CTA will turn to Nova for artics!?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I doubt it. I am guessing CTA will stick with New Flyer, assuming they don't run into similar problems. Both ABQ RIDE and King County Metro seem to be quite happy with their New Flyer DE60LFs, and they have been operating for quite a few years now. No wonder they continue to order the model.

Maybe the CTA will turn to Nova for artics!?

I would like the CTA to get new Novas, but I don't see that happening. The way that may prompt CTA to get Novas is if the New Flyers start encountering problems like the NABIs or delays in receiving their DE60LFs.