Sign in to follow this  
SMS

Ottawa Section Posting Etiquette

Attention Ottawa posters:

The CPTDB is not to be used for off-topic posting or instant messaging chit-chat within threads. Offending posts will be erased. All posters are encouraged to use the private messaging function for personal communication. Please stay on topic and remain professional in your posts. This in turn encourages fruitful and enlightened discussion. Thank you for considering these points.

SMS on behalf of the CPTDB admin

Attention Ottawa posters:

The CPTDB is not to be used for off-topic posting or instant messaging chit-chat within threads. Offending posts will be erased. All posters are encouraged to use the private messaging function for personal communication. Please stay on topic and remain professional in your posts. This in turn encourages fruitful and enlightened discussion. Thank you for considering these points.

SMS on behalf of the CPTDB admin

Thank you, about time this happened!

All violations should be reported to us by using the report function.

A polite reminder of the Terms of Use

* Any user account found violating these conditions of use will be immediately deactivated for seven days. An email will be sent to the address on file explaining the rationale for the ban.

* Repeat offenses will result in a permanent ban from the discussion board.

* Appeals may be considered on a case-by-case basis.

We have noticed flare ups in the Ottawa section as of late. We will use our discretion in the future for immediate action with regard to suspensions and bans as we see fit. Note that we have the right to refuse appeals for certain problematic members.

In short - post smart, and if you have something personal to say, use the PM function. As always reported posts are welcome.

An important word from the administration

We have recently received a concerned complaint from a former OC Transpo employee with regard to posting the day's bus placement and run guide. This type of information should be divulged on a need-to-know basis, and in order to uphold the board's integrity and standing in the community, we would wish for posters to cease the uploading of run guides for the day. Obviously, it is not in our best interests to antagonize OC Transpo and to give them further reason to suspect and/or harass transit fans.

All other threads, for sightings and so on, are still welcome of course.

Thank you for your cooperation.

SMS on behalf of the admins

The existence of this thread is a pretty good indication that there are some big issues here.

Recently there has been a rash of reported posts about off-topic posts from various users. Please, keep on topic. If someone is going off-topic, just report the post and move on with your life. If you feel compelled to write a response, you are going off-topic yourself, and are getting nowhere.

I've personally cleaned up some of the threads by editing and deleting some posts.

There obviously are personal conflicts between members too. If you don't want to see the user's posts altogether, just use the Ignore User function. Save yourself and everyone else some trouble.

Again, any user causing issues will be subject to a 7 day suspension, followed by a permanent ban. We appreciate your co-operation.

It doesn't seem as bad in other sections but I think (IMO) this thread should be a heads up to the entire board...

It doesn't seem as bad in other sections but I think (IMO) this thread should be a heads up to the entire board...

Well, if you have read some of the much older posting and going through the other group board, there has been trouble at times! The mods are doing well and I'm happy about it!

Alongside with posting etiquette, there needs to be a major overhaul in this thread's organisation. A new thread is not needed for every single little topic when a number of topics I look at could simply be merged into other topics. May I suggest the creation of a new "Miscellaneous OC Transpo and STO Questions" topic to prevent more of this?

Alongside with posting etiquette, there needs to be a major overhaul in this thread's organisation. A new thread is not needed for every single little topic when a number of topics I look at could simply be merged into other topics. May I suggest the creation of a new "Miscellaneous OC Transpo and STO Questions" topic to prevent more of this?

Agreed, it seems like, whenever their is news relating to LRT, or transit in Ottawa people are just starting new threads instead of putting it in one thread (like my OC Transpo Info, News, etc... thread maybe? (and possibly that should be renamed) )

Recently we have witness a lack of respect in this section, particularly with petty bickering that could otherwise be discussed privately.

With the amount of reports, we have chosen to take action and we have suspended offending parties.

We look forward to welcoming the suspended members back, and we hope that discussions will be fruitful and lively but above all respectful.

Further infractions will result in permanent bans.

Thanks for your cooperation.

SMS on behalf of the CPTDB Administration

OK so J.Kearns and Canadian National are banned. We have given them considerable leeway and they continued to make light of what we admins stand for, and so they were made example of.

In short, no etiquette, no posting rights.

Your compliance is appreciated. SMS

Attention all posters in this forum:

The administrators have agreed that we will staunchly enforce the above rules. Failure to comply will result with consequences that shall be dealt with in the following manner:

1. Thread lockdown at our discretion for an undetermined period of time. We may investigate the possibility of shutting down the entire Ottawa section if persistent bad behaviour becomes commonplace.
  2. 7 day suspension for offending member(s).
  3. Permanent ban.

Even though the above dates to over ten years ago, it is still relevant. I suggest a thorough re-read. The nonsense will no longer be tolerated. Police yourselves so that we don't have to.

Thanks for your attention.

SMS

• Like 3

After ten years of this thread being in existence, (it seems that our turning a blind eye and repeated warnings has gotten us nowhere) and the guidelines above are constantly ignored - so now new action will take place.

For starters Loud-Invero has been suspended for a week, and STO_1601 has earned two weeks off as a direct result of poor post quality, incorrect information, and reports from other members.

I am using a multiplier of 2 per infraction. Let's say hypothetically the abovementioned members do anything to warrant another suspension. They will receive 2 weeks off or a month off respectively.

Pretty soon, we will have a discussion as a whole on how to improve conditions specifically for the Ottawa section. I want this to be a collaborative effort. Together, we will create guidelines that will make the forum worthy of respect and credibility.

I spoke to all admins and we agreed that this is the proper course of action, for the record.

SMS

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Good evening all,

As some of you may have noticed, member @STO_1601 has been suspended. This suspension is in effect until AT LEAST January 9th. His suspension is in place due to spam use of the “Report” feature including but not limited to reporting things that are appropriate, even though he feels things he does himself are appropriate. 

Also, under review, is the timeline of his suspension, due to recent slander on social media of myself and @SMS for enforcing rules he is breaking. See attached photos (with names blanked out to protect peoples identities).

Any such further actions will not be tolerated.

One other note, any individuals who are caught to have multiple accounts on CPTDB will be shown no mercy, and be immediately banned.

Thanks,

Admin Team

E9521EE6-5F58-44A3-81BE-A5D45BB283AC.jpeg

1089742C-7CA7-47AF-8E30-5A0276FBBCB6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Thanks @Enviro_1203 for addressing this concern. It is unfortunate that it has come to this, and we take no pleasure in suspending anyone. But we have reached a breaking point. 

I suppose that everybody is entitled to their opinion, but if we were truly bad admins, then we would have a) never received the positions and b) had complaints about us to the point where we would be removed from our duties.

Rest assured that the admin team is working (on a completely voluntary basis lest it needed to be reminded) for the betterment of this community. This means enforcing rules. Rules that are clearly stated here; or netiquette in general. Bad netiquette is hashing up old topics from years past and reporting them to admin with the intention of placing posts in appropriate forums or subforums. Everything we have been enforcing is common sense but some people have not been getting the message. At the end of the day constant reports or requests from one individual is considered harassment.

I'm sorry but we have lives outside of buses, and there are limits to which we are willing to accommodate OCD or whatever other disorders exists out there.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Once again, having to post in this thread for 2nd time in over a month. You know who you are. Please refer to this warning from @SMS from October. 

Copyright infringement coupled with complaint from the original poster results in automatic suspension.

End of discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2