Streetcar News

CLRV4037

Looking forward to the new idiotic SOP the clowns at management will come up with for this one. Who knows maybe it's going to be slowing down streetcars to 10km/h at every non-signalized intersection, or a stop-and-proceed when in close proximity to a garbage truck.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Looks like 4568 knocked over a dump truck

It’s appears to have been a Wasteco truck.

I’m speculating, but the operator was probably reversing, and relying on a rear view camera, which wouldn’t pick up an approaching streetcar out of frame.

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

I’m speculating, but the operator was probably reversing, and relying on a rear view camera, which wouldn’t pick up an approaching streetcar out of frame.

You are correct. It was a  Wasteco truck. Coincidentally they are hiring.

IMG_20220726_000315__01.jpg

8 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Or the curb apparently. Time to put bollards along the streetcar tracks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 7:56 AM, Kelvin3157 said:

Looks like 4568 knocked over a dump truck

4568 had to be towed to remove it from the scene...car 4519 was driven in reverse through the St. Clair Stn loop to couple it up to 4568 and then was used to tow it to Leslie.

The following morning (July 27), car 4419 was used to tow car 4568 from Leslie to Hillcrest.

4568 has been at Harvey Shops ever since...ironically, in the same repair bay in which car 4409 had sat for almost ten months and had only vacated it the weekend prior to this collision.

4409 has returned to Leslie but has yet to return to service...it has not been in service since September 14 of last year.

9 hours ago, ttc rider said:

4568 had to be towed to remove it from the scene...car 4519 was driven in reverse through the St. Clair Stn loop to couple it up to 4568 and then was used to tow it to Leslie.

The following morning (July 27), car 4419 was used to tow car 4568 from Leslie to Hillcrest.

4568 has been at Harvey Shops ever since...ironically, in the same repair bay in which car 4409 had sat for almost ten months and had only vacated it the weekend prior to this collision.

4409 has returned to Leslie but has yet to return to service...it has not been in service since September 14 of last year.

Why didn't they tow it directly to Hillcrest right after?

On 7/27/2022 at 4:03 PM, Ed T. said:

Work has started on Kipling loop. There are a few trailers of specialwork on Kipling and Lake Shore. I guess that anyone investigating them will learn what the layout will be once the work is done.

Steve Munro reports that, not only did the east-to-north curve survive the rebuild, there's a brand new south-to-west curve. This lets the TTC operate a Kipling-Long Branch shuttle.

From his article:

img_3410w.jpg?w=1024

Ah great so they're adding curves to places which will never see active service, but yet refuse to add curves in places which would actually see service and act as perfect service redundancies.

Honestly how stupid are the people who draw up these plans. I cant think of a situation where the TTC would ever run a Kipling-Long Branch shuttle period.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lip said:

Ah great so they're adding curves to places which will never see active service, but yet refuse to add curves in places which would actually see service and act as perfect service redundancies.

Honestly how stupid are the people who draw up these plans. I cant think of a situation where the TTC would ever run a Kipling-Long Branch shuttle period.

The curve is added probably for logistical reasons and never meant to be used to active service. For whatever reason streetcars end up in Kipling Loop and is given a reason to go west can exit the loop and continue to Long Branch without having to go back to Humber Loop first. A short term track blockage could be a reason.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took the TTC to the EX and a few things to note. Bunching is a huge issue on all routes. And getting out of exhibition place even with signal priority doesn't work if cars are blocking the tracks. Not sure why police were there sitting doing nothing. 

Due to the bunching you have to stop and wait for 3 street cars infront of you to clear the stop before being able to proceed (until Bathurst).

Then the first 509 car is packed because it's the first one, this delays the second car and so the bunching begins. They should short turn some cars at Fleet loop or Spadina to keep the heading more consistent. Or have gap cars stored at Spadina. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, H4 5600 said:

Spotted an NIS streetcar going west on queen at roncensvalles at about 12:50 AM. Not sure if this is anythng special since idk much about streetcars, but i havent seen one on this section since before the construction started.

PXL_20220901_045545917.jpg

The second phase of KQQR reconstruction is just finishing up now. Regular 501 service resumes next board.

This may have been a test car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2022 at 5:58 PM, lip said:

The people who run the streetcar system are dumber than dogs and dogs are pretty dumb to begin with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

The people who run the streetcar system are dumber than dogs and dogs are pretty dumb to begin with.

Most dogs are actually pretty damn intelligent, and especially much more so compared to the "CEO" currently employed with the TTC.

• Like 1

501 is supposed to use Sunnyside Loop Thanksgiving weekend, but most likely continue use carhouse loop unless a fire is lite under Toronto Hydro. Still need hydro work done before 2/3 TTC poles foundation can be pour to allow TTC to string the loop.

The eastbound traffic curb and lanes can't be built until hydro work is done on the south for the full block

Toronto Hydro really screw TTC and the city over and over by been late a few months to almost 2 years and KQQR work is a good example.

What do you expect from an Bus CEO who has no use for streetcars and subway.

I took a walk around Kipling and Lake Shore this morning.

The intersection indeed has all the curves possible for it, E to N, W to N, S to E, and S to W. The overhead for the new S to W curve appeared to be in place.

As would be predictable, with the track in the loop being redone, the tail track up Kipling has been obliterated.

A couple of questions:

• The new wiring still had the little skate at the frog. That's only to allow both pole and pan operation, as far as I know. Why on earth are they installing overhead suitable for poles? There should be zero issue making all of Lake Shore pan-only. And there's been lots of time to do so.
  • The E to N and S to E/W switches had a metal cover running between the rails. Does that mean that they are automated/electrified? There were no SR or NA signs on the overhead that I could see, but they may not have gotten to that point yet.

4 hours ago, Ed T. said:
  • The E to N and S to E/W switches had a metal cover running between the rails. Does that mean that they are automated/electrified? There were no SR or NA signs on the overhead that I could see, but they may not have gotten to that point yet.

All of the facing switches that have been installed in the past 5 or 6 years - or maybe even longer - have been installed with the enclosure and conduits also installed to allow for motorization should the need arise in the future.

Despite the signage not being installed, the real tell will be whether the control box and signal wire from the overhead has been installed. If not, then no, they're not going to be motorized.

Dan

• Thanks 1

There was an utility cut made from around the sidewalk area over to where the switches were installed, but as was mentioned above this might've only been for conduits for future motorization installation.

I'm not holding my breath on this one though.