CLRV4037

Streetcar News

14 hours ago, drum118 said:

Take a hike as I don't post info of people or how things arrive that has no need to be here in the first place. Don't like it, that your problem...Move on

Just ignore whiners like Nfitz. We appreciate you posting the info here.

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

Has anyone noticed Flexity doors closing very slowly? Normally it has the fast close (with the bang) to the 3/4 mark then slow close the last bit. I noticed today both cars I was on had the slow closing movement the whole way, and without the bang. Both were 44XX units.

This is a new update to the low floor door operators program so that ‘the public’ doesn’t get sandwiches in the doors like they do now. 

I’ll leave it at this...

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, ngdvd said:

Just ignore whiners like Nfitz. We appreciate you posting the info here.

Speak for yourself. Most of us appreciate correct info, not speculation and opinion disguised as information.

32 minutes ago, bus_7246 said:

This is a new update to the low floor door operators program so that ‘the public’ doesn’t get sandwiches in the doors like they do now. 

I’ll leave it at this...

In fairness....

There's more to the program change than just the doors closing more slowly. For instance, the amount of time that the doors need to stay open has also been reduced. In a best-case scenario, the time that the car stops to the time that the car is able to leave is the same.

Dan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It *feels* like the TTC is obsessed with screwing around with streetcar operations to make things slower and slower each and every single year, almost like they go sniffing around for something to mess with.

That and the fact that they have some phobia of doors shutting on people; so much so they make the timing on doors closing on subways, buses, and streetcars slower with each new generation of vehicle acquired.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, lip said:

It *feels* like the TTC is obsessed with screwing around with streetcar operations to make things slower and slower each and every single year, almost like they go sniffing around for something to mess with.

That and the fact that they have some phobia of doors shutting on people; so much so they make the timing on doors closing on subways, buses, and streetcars slower with each new generation of vehicle acquired.

That seems to only be a recent thing. The t1 doors only seem slower because the H-series doors were significantly smaller. Even then, based on archive footage, the door closing times there are about the same. 

If it was mentioned here before, I missed it. Bathurst is operating with pantographs.

I continue to scratch my head about which routes have been coverted, and how slow the process is going. I thought that after the first 60 or so cars they were going to be pantograph-only? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

I continue to scratch my head about which routes have been coverted

As far as I know it's the 509,510,511 and 512 and when the 505 comes back it will be operating with pantographs

3 hours ago, Ed T. said:

If it was mentioned here before, I missed it. Bathurst is operating with pantographs.

I continue to scratch my head about which routes have been coverted, and how slow the process is going. I thought that after the first 60 or so cars they were going to be pantograph-only? :rolleyes:

All runs on 509, 510, 511 and 512 operate with pantographs. Access to, and from Leslie Barns is done via King St. only, and under pantograph operation, as well.

To recap, the timeline so far is as follows:

509 Harbourfront : Sept 12, 2017

510 Spadina: May 14, 2018

512 St. Clair: Oct 1, 2018

Nov 24, 2019: all runs on 509, 510 & 512 begin pantograph operation to and from Leslie Barns, via King St.

To allow this, on the same day, carhouse routing to, and from St. Clair is changed to via King and Bathurst (before it was via Queen and Bathurst).

Also starting on Nov 24, 2019, all runs on 510 Spadina began entering and leaving service via King St only (Before that, some early morning trips entered service via Queen to start service southbound at Spadina & Queen. To allow pantograph operation from the carhouse, they were extended to enter service northbound at King & Spadina for a trip northbound to Spadina Station).

511 Bathurst: Jan 5, 2020. Route was moved from Russell to Leslie to allow pantograph operation to and from the carhouse.

• Thanks 1

Looking at the February service updates if you go all the way to the bottom you’ll notice that Queen-Queensway-Roncesvalles construction has been deferred to 2021. The only construction taking place this year is Bathurst st. Reconstruction and reconstruction on Dundas and Howard Park ave.

As well should the TTC consider lowering its Streetcar spare rate to 7.5%  which would be about 189 cars running or 5% which would see it at about 194 cars running at peak times

34 minutes ago, John Oke said:

As well should the TTC consider lowering its Streetcar spare rate to 7.5%  which would be about 189 cars running or 5% which would see it at about 194 cars running at peak times

Easier said than done. What's are they going to operate with? Magical invisible cars when the physical one is broken down or under maintenance in the repair bay. That's not gonna work.

You're suggesting they assign runs to operators with no physical cars to operate. 

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Streetcars return to Kingston Road in mid-May, according to Steve Munro.

If there is any updated overhead on Kingston Road, I haven't noticed it.

Well that sucks, I've been enjoying the buses on 503 in the mornings from Bingham loop.

As for the overhead, they recently finished wiring up the remainder of the kingston/queen turnback loop, after the intersection work last year the loop didn't have overhead for a while. As far as the rest, i haven't paid attention if they've done anything to make it panto ready. It'll probably still be pole.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MK78 said:

Well that sucks, I've been enjoying the buses on 503 in the mornings from Bingham loop.

I certainly haven't enjoyed the afternoon 503 buses. Many times at Sherbourne and King, the doors open, but it's nigh impossible to actually get on. Far more crowded than the 504B. And if you do squeeze on, it's hard to stand, with them veering back and forth into the stops (I often ride just after 6 pm, by which point there are cars parked everywhere).

All the same, streetcars on 503 comes at the cost of putting buses on 506, and I'll be happy to see streetcars return to 506.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MK78 said:

As for the overhead, they recently finished wiring up the remainder of the kingston/queen turnback loop, after the intersection work last year the loop didn't have overhead for a while. As far as the rest, i haven't paid attention if they've done anything to make it panto ready. It'll probably still be pole.

Coxwell and Queen intersection overhead didn't appear to be upgraded last time I was through there. I'd say trolley poles on the 503 is a safe assumption.

7 hours ago, nfitz said:

I certainly haven't enjoyed the afternoon 503 buses. Many times at Sherbourne and King, the doors open, but it's nigh impossible to actually get on. Far more crowded than the 504B. And if you do squeeze on, it's hard to stand, with them veering back and forth into the stops (I often ride just after 6 pm, by which point there are cars parked everywhere).

All the same, streetcars on 503 comes at the cost of putting buses on 506, and I'll be happy to see streetcars return to 506.

Yeah, I don't go downtown, I get off at Greenwood. And I don't take the 503 on my return trip.

Mainly what I've enjoyed on the 503 in the morning is not having to wait for a bus at Bingham, becaue there's always at least one waiting. That's not gonna be the case with a Flexity, since one will barely fit there, and they will space out the headways for sure. So if I miss one coming over from the 12D, it will probably mean a decent wait. We'll see I guess.

8 minutes ago, 29Sufferin said:

Coxwell and Queen intersection overhead didn't appear to be upgraded last time I was through there. I'd say trolley poles on the 503 is a safe assumption.

Yeah I don't think they did anything to it when Queen/Kingston intersection was being redone. I know I have seen the upgraded wire hangers or whatever you call them on Bingham loop on the turns going into the loop. As for the straight sections of track, is rework required as well for panto?

22 minutes ago, MK78 said:

That's not gonna be the case with a Flexity, since one will barely fit there, and they will space out the headways for sure.

The limitation with Bingham is the length of the loading platform. It would be a tight squeeze, but the length of the track itself is such that two Flexitys are able to be in the loop at once.

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

The limitation with Bingham is the length of the loading platform. It would be a tight squeeze, but the length of the track itself is such that two Flexitys are able to be in the loop at once.

Ah, good to know. Having never seen a Flexity there I haven't got a visual clue what it might be like.

But the first one would probably have to move up pretty close to the turn to allow the second one to fit so its tail didnt stick out on Vic Park.

Edit: i just did a sat view of bingham loop and the measurement seems to be just about 66 meters before impeding on Bingham or Vic Park. So like you said, it would be a tight squeeze but the loading platform, specifically for the accessible ramps I guess.

I guess we'll see what happens, I would imagine that if another flexity enters, the first one will leave regardless if it's early, and maybe hang on Bingham for a bit before continuing.

bingham.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

But the first one would probably have to move up pretty close to the turn to allow the second one to fit so its tail didnt stick out on Vic Park.

I don't wander into the loop, always getting out before, and boarding on Kingston Road.

But if there's a backlog, why not just park on Victoria Park - there's easily room for 2 cars there, and there's a no-stopping car lane next to it (and only one lane further north), so it doesn't interfere with traffic. And easy enough to open the doors there to let people get off. Add some signage for safety and a northbound 12 stop if it's felt necessary.

7 hours ago, nfitz said:

But if there's a backlog, why not just park on Victoria Park - there's easily room for 2 cars there, and there's a no-stopping car lane next to it (and only one lane further north), so it doesn't interfere with traffic. And easy enough to open the doors there to let people get off. Add some signage for safety and a northbound 12 stop if it's felt necessary.

Possible, but they'd probably have to designate that as an offload stop, put a post up with signage. And passengers who need to get off using the ramp would have to be told to wait until the Bingham platform.

2 hours ago, CLRV4094 said:

4401 is finally back from Thunder Bay, and is at Lambton Yard. Only took 5 years.

It arrived June 17, 2013 as the 3rd prototype and when it goes into service, it will be close to 7 years old.

On March 19, 2020 at 5:10 PM, drum118 said:

It arrived June 17, 2013 as the 3rd prototype and when it goes into service, it will be close to 7 years old.

The irony is, depending on the terms of the contract, the warranty period might only start when it's accepted by TTC now despite being one of the oldest cars.

4401 should be car #204, the last one to be delivered. 

Now if 4400-4402 were have the long red strips running from front to back and red plastic seat like the Swiss build CLRVs, that would be cool.

• Like 6