Streetcar News

CLRV4037

I’m speculating undiagnosed dementia was at play here.

16 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Either way ... perhaps a trench or trap or something just past the gate might be in order, if only to make the retrieval of the vehicle easier!

The potential lethality of such a device would scare off the legal department.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Either way ... perhaps a trench or trap or something just past the gate might be in order, if only to make the retrieval of the vehicle easier!

There is already a trench at the bottom of the ramp, as there has been since the last track reconstruction of 10 or so years ago. Apparently that still isn't enough to stop the vehicles.

Dan

• Like 5

5 hours ago, nfitz said:

I can see how once you are in, that you end up down there. Though I'd have thought the gates, etc., would have put a stop to this (though it's surely reduced it).

This seems to not have been alcohol related ... but the driver may have had medical issues.

They just need to install something like Calgary did: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0462824,-114.0555898,3a,42.5y,273.57h,93.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5J5PZmcIZy4-4JiNcxvm7Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Alternatively they shouldn't install any traps which could allow any cars to be able to drive out safely. Have a camera to take a picture and send them a ticket.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

They just need to install something like Calgary did: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0462824,-114.0555898,3a,42.5y,273.57h,93.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5J5PZmcIZy4-4JiNcxvm7Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Alternatively they shouldn't install any traps which could allow any cars to be able to drive out safely. Have a camera to take a picture and send them a ticket.

Never mind getting a ticket, they need to have their car lifted by a special machine to get out. So it's not like you can just turn around and leave.  

Besides it's almost 2km from that entrance to the Union platform. If you haven't figured out that there is something wrong by the time you got there, you do not deserve your license. Especially if you did it on purpose. Plus odds are your car is destroyed.

14 minutes ago, lip said:

The solution is easy, install retractable bollards. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out a solution.

As the driver follows the streetcar, the streetcar passes and the bollard rises. The car gets struck by the bollard and is raised into the air. The driver gets injured along with a disabled car. A 3 hour collision investigation occurs. Afterwards the injured driver sues the TTC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^And the TTC could make the case that there are numerous warnings that give said driver advanced warning not to enter the tunnel, and thus due to the driver's own negligence they ended up in the situation that they got themselves into.

25 minutes ago, lip said:

^And the TTC could make the case that there are numerous warnings that give said driver advanced warning not to enter the tunnel, and thus due to the driver's own negligence they ended up in the situation that they got themselves into.

TTC never liked the idea of having the eastbound lane north of the tracks. Along with the lack of signage adds to the confusion. Especially for people unfamiliar to Queens Quay. A lot of people end up on the streetcar lane cause they can't find the eastbound lane south of the track and only realize it after starting the turn. Some, like this driver never realize they are on the streetcar lane or is totally confused where he should be driving.  It's dark and they don't see the signs. You don't see people ended up in Spadina Station for this reason and this usually happens at night time.

Sometimes I think we need to take a step back and look at why drivers are ending up in there. Some of them are just confused out of town people ending up in the wrong place due to terribly designed roads. The city might need to ban south to eastbound turns onto Queens Quay or convert QQ to westbound only all together.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

TTC never liked the idea of having the eastbound lane north of the tracks. Along with the lack of signage adds to the confusion. Especially for people unfamiliar to Queens Quay. A lot of people end up on the streetcar lane cause they can't find the eastbound lane south of the track and only realize it after starting the turn. Some, like this driver never realize they are on the streetcar lane or is totally confused where he should be driving.  It's dark and they don't see the signs. You don't see people ended up in Spadina Station for this reason and this usually happens at night time.

Sometimes I think we need to take a step back and look at why drivers are ending up in there. Some of them are just confused out of town people ending up in the wrong place due to terribly designed roads. The city might need to ban south to eastbound turns onto Queens Quay or convert QQ to westbound only all together.

But when the "Road" runs out underneath them you would think that they would turn around instead keep going for another 1.5km's and total their car. 

Waterfront East LRT Design Update

Dear Public and Stakeholders,

As you may recall, in January 2018, City Council endorsed an overall Waterfront Transit Network Plan for the City, including identification of priority segments.

In April 2019, City Council endorsed the streetcar loop expansion at Union Station as the preferred option for the Union Queens Quay Link, and directed staff to commence the preliminary design and engineering phase of the extension of light rail transit to the East Bayfront beginning in 2020.
ei?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpix.upaknee.com%2Feditor_images%2Fimage_d2e084b1%2Ftemplate0%2Fline.png&d=2020-01-24T14%3A43%3A18.591Z
Preliminary design and engineering work will shortly be underway for the Waterfront East LRT, a priority segment for the waterfront transit network. The City, in partnership with TTC, and Waterfront Toronto staff are currently focused on feasibility assessments for the Waterfront East LRT including:
  • An alternative portal location for the LRT along Queens Quay between Bay Street and Yonge Street, which may provide overall cost and public realm benefits
  • Consideration of phasing option(s) that may expedite the east-west streetcar service on Queen's Quay to the East Bayfront
ei?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpix.upaknee.com%2Feditor_images%2Fimage_d2e084b1%2Ftemplate0%2Fline.png&d=2020-01-24T14%3A43%3A18.591Z
Public consultation and engagement regarding the Waterfront East LRT alternate portal assessment, potential phasing options, and a preliminary design update is currently being planned and is expected in early spring 2020. Further details will be provided over the next few weeks.

You can learn more about the City's waterfront transit network plan including Waterfront East and other priority sections by visiting: www.toronto.ca/waterfronttransit

Kind regards,
The Waterfront East LRT Team
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, nfitz said:

It would be more useful to link to where this information was, rather than just copying and pasting it without context! Do you have the link?

Nope.... It was sent to me since I am a stakeholder and been on the team since 2004

4 hours ago, Shaun said:

But when the "Road" runs out underneath them you would think that they would turn around instead keep going for another 1.5km's and total their car. 

Please enlighten me on how you can do that? There's no place to U turn once they end up past the ramp. There are centre columns through the tunnel between the two directions. The only thing they could do is keep going or reverse. It'll be pretty hard to do if they try reversing on the curve leading to Queens Quay Station. Driving onto the Queens Quay platform to make a million point turn is not possible without popping the tires.

5 hours ago, nfitz said:

Or providing that context!

You got what I got.

The study underway by the City is looking at the cost of building an new east entrance for the Westin Hotel off Yonge St extension that will be built over the Current Yonge Slip. This cost will be compare to cost of the Tunnel from Bay to Freeland. Westin will pay for some of the new entrance and will close the current entrance.

If the cost is less than the tunnel, then the Freeland Portal will be move from Freeland to the west side of Yonge that will speed up rebuilding QQE like the west. It will also allow the extension to connect to the West section sooner than later to allow a short shut down on 509/510 while the Tunnels and new loop is being built. Also, there a thought the new QQE Station would be be around the operating line underground at Bay.

41 minutes ago, nfitz said:

In terms of context? No. You knew who it was from, how it was sent, etc.

All we got was cut-and-paste without the necessary context.

Take a hike as I don't post info of people or how things arrive that has no need to be here in the first place. Don't like it, that your problem...Move on

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drum118 said:

Take a hike as I don't post info of people or how things arrive that has no need to be here in the first place. Don't like it, that your problem...Move on

That's the problem though - all you have to do is say "from the TTC mailing list" or something. There's no need to be rude here. Please be civil.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, drum118 said:

Just ignore whiners like Nfitz. We appreciate you posting the info here.

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

Has anyone noticed Flexity doors closing very slowly? Normally it has the fast close (with the bang) to the 3/4 mark then slow close the last bit. I noticed today both cars I was on had the slow closing movement the whole way, and without the bang. Both were 44XX units.

This is a new update to the low floor door operators program so that ‘the public’ doesn’t get sandwiches in the doors like they do now. 

I’ll leave it at this...

• Sad 1