Jump to content
CLRV4037

Streetcar News

Recommended Posts

The 501 is now using some Flexities on the weekends (primarily on Sundays, I suspect) because the 511 has reversed to bus operation and the Flexities that ran on 511 on the weekends were deployed elsewhere. Today, there were a maximum of 11 Flexity cars on 501. I expect there will be more next Sunday, when there will no longer be unscheduled extras running on 509 & 511 due to the CNE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent a few mins to check out the new overhead throughout St Clair West yesterday (Saturday) - majority of the station loop appears complete; most work needed is the EB 512 platform area. The traction contact bars are suspended lower than the existing trolley overhead (obviously for clearance) so I assume for the time being that will be kept to allow compatibility for C's. However they can also immediately start dismantling it upon activation of the contact bars so we'll see which route they take.

IMG_0250[1].JPG

IMG_0252[1].JPG

IMG_0253[1].JPG

IMG_0254[1].JPG

IMG_0255[1].JPG

IMG_0256[1].JPG

IMG_0257[1].JPG

IMG_0258[1].JPG

IMG_0259[1].JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would TTC thinking keep trolley compatibility on part of St Clair to cover some sort of issue with a C entering Hillcrest, or leaving but unable to turn south onto Bathurst?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see any Flexities on 501 today (Monday) when they are running on a holiday schedule and 511 is using buses. Did they gave the extra ones a rest today now that a few more ALRVs are back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Orion V said:

I don't see any Flexities on 501 today (Monday) when they are running on a holiday schedule and 511 is using buses. Did they gave the extra ones a rest today now that a few more ALRVs are back?

It is a holiday today, however there are many Flexity cars running as unscheduled extras on both the 509 and 511 due to the CNE. In total, I am counting 69 Flexity cars in service right now - less than the 74 we have had yesterday, but still this is a fairly usual number of cars out for a Sunday/holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ttc rider said:

It is a holiday today, however there are many Flexity cars running as unscheduled extras on both the 509 and 511 due to the CNE. In total, I am counting 69 Flexity cars in service right now - less than the 74 we have had yesterday, but still this is a fairly usual number of cars out for a Sunday/holiday.

Thought 511 is using bus since yesterday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Thought 511 is using bus since yesterday?

It is. But, as I said, due to the CNE, there are Flexity cars being operated as unscheduled extras as well. I am counting at least five Flexities on 511 right now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Would TTC thinking keep trolley compatibility on part of St Clair to cover some sort of issue with a C entering Hillcrest, or leaving but unable to turn south onto Bathurst?

If that would be so, that would probably be the brief stretch of St. Clair westbound from Bathurst to Vaughan. And that only until the CLRVs are all gone, which will be quite a while after pans go up on all of St. Clair.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EB 512's are dewiring again more frequently (but not every car) going into the EB throughfare track (former spare track). Again the shoe is following the WB overhead from the frog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

Looks like 4447 is going to need some TLC.

 

20180905_180345.jpg

That looks like Queen and Parliament? Is this what the twitter alert about "mechanical problems" on the 501/502 is referring to? They've been diverting around it for several hours now. Downed overhead is a mechanical problem of sorts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

That looks like Queen and Parliament? Is this what the twitter alert about "mechanical problems" on the 501/502 is referring to? They've been diverting around it for several hours now. Downed overhead is a mechanical problem of sorts.

Yep. The interesting thing is that the pole was also up. (They had lowered it by the time I took this photo)

20180905_180429[1].jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mechanical problems was also the announced delay for the St Clair West incident lasting ~4 hours.. this is the second (known) time in two weeks that the panto was mysteriously up in non-designated areas of the network damaging the overhead.

May or may not have been a consequence of the St Clair West incident but 512 EB cars are still dewiring with increased frequency at the frog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Did the pantograph take out any overhead? It's hard to tell from the photo.

Not that I could tell. However, they may have repaired it by the time I was walking by.

19 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

Mechanical problems was also the announced delay for the St Clair West incident lasting ~4 hours.. this is the second (known) time in two weeks that the panto was mysteriously up in non-designated areas of the network damaging the overhead.

May or may not have been a consequence of the St Clair West incident but 512 EB cars are still dewiring with increased frequency at the frog.

I can't help but wonder if this is karma catching up with the TTC over their decision to save a buck by slowing down the pan upgrades to the overhead.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

It's 10:30pm and the diversion is still ongoing. This would put it up at near 7 hours and counting by my count. I wonder what the hold up with moving it out of the way is.

(I'm hoping it's gone by morning rush hour)

Is (was?) it still there?. I might have missed damage to the overhead which is why the diversion hasn't ended. It's also possible that the TTC has also notices a pattern of the pans going up when they shouldn't be and is giving 4447 a thorough investigation before they move it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, skyfirenet said:

Is (was?) it still there?. I might have missed damage to the overhead which is why the diversion hasn't ended. It's also possible that the TTC has also notices a pattern of the pans going up when they shouldn't be and is giving 4447 a thorough investigation before they move it.

At first it was only eastbound ones diverting but some time during the evening they started routing westbound ones around the area too. The diversion ended a few minutes after midnight. 501 streetcars were diverting around the area for around 8.5 hours which seems like a very long time for what was shown in the pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, skyfirenet said:

Looks like 4447 is going to need some TLC.

 

20180905_180345.jpg

Apparently, it was legitimately driver error. Driver was looking to throw blame despite being at fault. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Apparently, it was legitimately driver error. Driver was looking to throw blame despite being at fault. 

The car had been in service on 510 Spadina earlier in the day, but presumably it had encountered an issue and was running in to Leslie when this incident happened at Queen & Parliament. So was this a case of the driver forgetting to lower the pantograph when it left Spadina or did the pantograph simply pop up unexpectedly at Queen & Parliament and snagged the overhead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

The car had been in service on 510 Spadina earlier in the day, but presumably it had encountered an issue and was running in to Leslie when this incident happened at Queen & Parliament. So was this a case of the driver forgetting to lower the pantograph when it left Spadina or did the pantograph simply pop up unexpectedly at Queen & Parliament and snagged the overhead?

Having operated the new cars, there is no was to have a pole and panto in operation together. You can only have one up over the other. Also, there is no way a pantograph can raise on its own while a pole is in use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Having operated the new cars, there is no was to have a pole and panto in operation together. You can only have one up over the other. Also, there is no way a pantograph can raise on its own while a pole is in use. 

Thanks! So then the only explanation is that the operator forgot to lower the pantograph when it left Spadina and it remained raised as the car was running back to Leslie, until it finally got caught in the overhead at Queen & Parliament. There are prominent signs on Queen St (both east and west of Spadina) with "no pantograph use beyond this point", but it looks like they weren't enough to stop this incident from happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Also, there is no way a pantograph can raise on its own while a pole is in use. 

At least we hope not. The last thing we need now is to find another design flaw with them.

And I guess I was mistaken because I thought the pole was deployed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

Thanks! So then the only explanation is that the operator forgot to lower the pantograph when it left Spadina and it remained raised as the car was running back to Leslie, until it finally got caught in the overhead at Queen & Parliament. There are prominent signs on Queen St (both east and west of Spadina) with "no pantograph use beyond this point", but it looks like they weren't enough to stop this incident from happening.

People forget all the time. It's not like there's a warning that the panto is raised.

I really don't see TTC maintaining the pole on every cars after the entire system is converted. Even if it's a deign flaw, it's not a long term issue unlike badly welded frames.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...