6 hours ago, TTCOpITM said:

I don’t think they’d ever make streetcars loop at Leslie. The reason is, they’d all have to operate through Leslie Yard if they were looping there. Due to the special switches in the yard and the fact that they are operated by the yard controller, it would be chaos for every streetcar entering the yard to report to yard control before they can enter the yard and make certain that their route through the yard is properly set.

The other issue is that the operators don't operate the cars in the yard - they give them to shedmen to do it, much as they do in the subway yards.

This is also the reason why the TTC avoids at all costs any short turns involving Greenwood Yard.

Dan

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I figure here's as good a place as any. I spent the last week or so recreating John Bromley's map of the streetcar network, as of February 13, 1945. Was unquest

It isn't a joint. The rail itself is fine.   The issue is with a concrete slab within the track allowance on the west side of the Don River Bridge. They found that it would move 2 to 3 inche

I've heard rumours they are planning on 4-digit Arabic numerals this time.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, smallspy said:

The other issue is that the operators don't operate the cars in the yard - they give them to shedmen to do it, much as they do in the subway yards.

Streetcars going out of service certainly entered Roncesvalles under the control of their operator, and they leave going into service under the control of the operator. I think I've also seen them short turn in the yard for whatever reason.

28 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Streetcars going out of service certainly entered Roncesvalles under the control of their operator, and they leave going into service under the control of the operator. I think I've also seen them short turn in the yard for whatever reason.

I was referring specifically to Leslie. Russell and Roncesvalles operate under the same rules as before.

Dan

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

This is also the reason why the TTC avoids at all costs any short turns involving Greenwood Yard.

Cars were all turning left on Connaught (heading west). Is there a way of turning back east without entering the yard?

If same in both, then not sure why they were choosing to turn at Connaught  instead of Leslie. Especially in an absence of shuttle buses.

3 hours ago, nfitz said:

That's unfortunate they didn't design it so there was an easy way to loop.

Especially given the lack of shuttle buses yesterday!

They had bus shuttles running yesterday. I'm not sure how service was disrupted for hours because of one "downed wire" and if it was Degrassi it's not the first time there's been trouble there.

Today due to a collision somewhere along the line, the entire eastern half of the 501 and 504 were shut down in the morning for the second day in a row.

33 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

They had bus shuttles running yesterday. I'm not sure how service was disrupted for hours because of one "downed wire" and if it was Degrassi it's not the first time there's been trouble there.

Today due to a collision somewhere along the line, the entire eastern half of the 501 and 504 were shut down in the morning for the second day in a row.

I saw one or two buses heading eastbound. But I walked over 2 km westbound from Woodfield to Carlaw, without seeing one - despite there being something heading east at Woodfield! And there were a lot of people already waiting at Woodfield when we got booted off there, so I was concerned that I'd be able to squeeze on a bus, if one came. The incident was 45-minutes old (and probably longer given that the alerts take a while) when I got to Woodfield!

Looking at the TTC alerts, today's 501/504 issues were reported clear 4 minutes after the first alert. It was 2 hours 45 minutes yesterday from 9:52 AM to 12:37 PM!

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Cars were all turning left on Connaught (heading west). Is there a way of turning back east without entering the yard?

From the west (eastbound), a car can turn without running through the yard. From the east (westbound) however, cars have to operate through a track left open through the yard, usually track 12.

But again, the rules for operating into and out of Russell and Roncy are different than at Leslie, and regular crews can operate through the two of them.

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

If same in both, then not sure why they were choosing to turn at Connaught  instead of Leslie. Especially in an absence of shuttle buses.

Again, regular crews are not allowed to operate in Leslie Yard. Thus running short-turns through there would be an added complication.

Dan

53 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Does that really matter at this time when the only route that can use that loop is being served by buses?

Ah - I have never looked that hard at Coxwell loop’s layout so I assumed Queen cars could use it. My mistake.

2 minutes ago, dowlingm said:

Ah - I have never looked that hard at Coxwell loop’s layout so I assumed Queen cars could use it. My mistake.

I don't think it's possible for the loop to connect to Queen without making the curve radius worse.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6664225,-79.3162558,3a,60y,284.59h,73.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqOdWdCn6UrNr9YughoX2bQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:39 AM, Tom1122 said:

I wonder if 4408 will be one of the first cars to go back to fix the welding problems since it's out of service anyway?

4408 was damaged in a collision. Bombardier is recalling the first 67 cars in order to fix a manufacturing defect. Unless car 4408 was so severely damaged that it cannot be repaired by the TTC in Toronto (which I doubt is the case), I see no reason why Bombardier would be responsible for performing  an unscheduled repair as a result of an accident that had nothing to do with the welding defect in the first place.

5 hours ago, ttc rider said:

4408 was damaged in a collision. Bombardier is recalling the first 67 cars in order to fix a manufacturing defect. Unless car 4408 was so severely damaged that it cannot be repaired by the TTC in Toronto (which I doubt is the case), I see no reason why Bombardier would be responsible for performing  an unscheduled repair as a result of an accident that had nothing to do with the welding defect in the first place.

Or the TTC would complete the repairs and then send it to Bombardier.

5 hours ago, ttc rider said:

18 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

Or the TTC would complete the repairs and then send it to Bombardier.

It appears as though the repairs are complete. Spotted it at the Leslie Barns today and it looks like nothing happened to it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, TTCOpITM said:

It appears as though the repairs are complete. Spotted it at the Leslie Barns today and it looks like nothing happened to it.

Thanks for the info! Even though two more weeks have passed since your post, it was only today that car 4408 returned to service, after a record 32-day absence.

This is the longest continuous downtime for any of the Flexity cars so far, surpassing the previous record of 29 days out of service for car 4413 after a collision more than two years ago, on July 26, 2016.

54 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Poor 4471. Looks like a major repair bill if it's not a write off. They usually retire flooded automobiles. Does that apply for streetcars too?

Interested to know also what's gonna happen also. another Flexity appears to be stuck in the water behind 4471. According to Sammdot it's 4478, it's not that deep in the water from the images i'm seeing so it should be easier to repair or even fine.

Image from the aftermath.

15 minutes ago, Transit_Hub said:

Interested to know also what's gonna happen also. another Flexity appears to be stuck in the water behind 4471. According to Sammdot it's 4478, it's not that deep in the water from the images i'm seeing so it should be easier to repair or even fine.

Most of the critical equipment is on the roof so they should be fine for the most part. Just gotta take them into Leslie and tear them apart to repair the water damage. They'll have to drop the bogies too to make sure everything dries out properly. 

6 minutes ago, jmenard-cc said:

Most of the critical equipment is on the roof so they should be fine for the most part. Just gotta take them into Leslie and tear them apart to repair the water damage. They'll have to drop the bogies too to make sure everything dries out properly. 

Good thing LF cars have equipment on top.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Transit_Hub said:

It seems like 4478 got a good dip too.

10 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Poor 4471. Looks like a major repair bill if it's not a write off. They usually retire flooded automobiles. Does that apply for streetcars too?

How does it compare to the GO train that got caught in the Don River Valley back in 2013?

20 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

How does it compare to the GO train that got caught in the Don River Valley back in 2013?

Well a push-pull train is different from a self-propelled unit. The loco might need heavy equipment repair but the passenger carriages just need to be dried out.