Streetcar News

CLRV4037

The delays on the flexity routes is largely due to the fact that the clowns running the carhouse have been using a workforce the size of when that location opened. The fleet grew, but the workforce didn’t. Which is directly affecting the cars entering service. 

17 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I saw a whole bunch of eastbound 506 buses, and the only one that wasn't displaying 'Carlton' was a 7800 which was still going to Main Street Station. So there was obviously a mass update of destination text.

Yesterday I was at Victoria Park and there didn't appear to be any reason or rhyme behind the sign displays. There were more units showing the route name, but were either displaying "High Park" (presumably the loop), "High Park station", or "High Park and Keele station". There were also a few units still without the route name; those were either showing 506 High Park, a 506 High Park & Keele station. It's amazing how many different exposures one catch on a simple, one-branch route. :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

The delays on the flexity routes is largely due to the fact that the clowns running the carhouse have been using a workforce the size of when that location opened. The fleet grew, but the workforce didn’t. Which is directly affecting the cars entering service. 

Thanks for the info. Today was the first day since May 2 when full service was provided on all Flexity routes as scheduled (ignoring a couple of unscheduled change-offs), so there is hope for improvement.

Speaking of delays of a different nature: if Thunder Bay picks up the pace with production, I am curious to see how long it will take for the deliveries via CP to become the major bottleneck for getting the cars into service in a timely manner.

We all know that prototype 4401 was loaded up at Hillcrest for the return trip to Thunder Bay first thing in the morning on Monday, May 14. As of this afternoon (Thursday, May 17) it is still waiting for pickup by CP. Maybe this is just an isolated incident, but if it is not, it does not bode well for future deliveries.

2 hours ago, TechnicaProductions said:

According to Brad Ross, the TTC will no longer continue the tradition of running PCCs on the Harbourfront because the route is using pantographs now.

That seems exceedingly shortsighted if true, seeing as how they haven't changed or reconfigured all of the overhead since last year - when the PCCs did just fine out there.

Dan

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, smallspy said:

That seems exceedingly shortsighted if true, seeing as how they haven't changed or reconfigured all of the overhead since last year - when the PCCs did just fine out there.

Dan

That's what I thought as well, it doesn't make sense especially considering the new overhead is designed for both pole and panto

9 hours ago, TechnicaProductions said:

According to Brad Ross, the TTC will no longer continue the tradition of running PCCs on the Harbourfront because the route is using pantographs now.

Pantographs and trolley poles have lived together in harmony on Queens Quay since September of last year and continue to do so on Fleet St.

Anyway, following this logic, we should expect the historic vehicles to be permanently grounded and likely sold off in a few years' time, since there will be no place to operate them, when pantographs will be used on the entire network.

6 hours ago, TechnicaProductions said:

That's what I thought as well, it doesn't make sense especially considering the new overhead is designed for both pole and panto

It does, if one looks for a convenient argument to stop maintaining the PCC's and the Witt.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

Anyway, following this logic, we should expect the historic vehicles to be permanently grounded and likely sold off in a few years' time, since there will be no place to operate them, when pantographs will be used on the entire network.

Except that supposedly pantographs have been purchased for the historic vehicles.

Dan

17 hours ago, smallspy said:

Except that supposedly pantographs have been purchased for the historic vehicles.

Dan

Given the TTC's record when it comes to historic vehicles, it is surprising that they even retained the three cars on property for so long. I would be astounded if they retrofit them with pantographs. I am not holding my breath for that to happen.

Car 4445 was involved in a collision around midnight last night at King & University.

I happened to be in the area at the time. At least superficially, the front-end damage seems about the same as that on 4413 back in July 2016, but unlike that collision, 4445 also went off the tracks this time around.

Also, if anyone is curious, prototype 4401 has yet to be picked up by CP. It was still at Hillcrest yesterday evening.

1 hour ago, ttc rider said:

Also, if anyone is curious, prototype 4401 has yet to be picked up by CP. It was still at Hillcrest yesterday evening.

They did not. Apparently CP had issues last night and had to bypass Hillcrest.

3 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

I wonder if the one used on 4000 still exists.

Probably hasn't in 40 years.

Dan

Hypothetical: TTC don’t drag their feet on Leslie Barns and it’s open for business before the first Flexity arrives. Decision made to use the Harbour Lead to deliver the Fs there (or at least TTC Lakeshore) instead of Hillcrest. Would CP still route to Agincourt and have a local bring it down, or interchange with CN at some point, or would it just be easier to have CN pick up in TB?

4 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Hypothetical: TTC don’t drag their feet on Leslie Barns and it’s open for business before the first Flexity arrives. Decision made to use the Harbour Lead to deliver the Fs there (or at least TTC Lakeshore) instead of Hillcrest. Would CP still route to Agincourt and have a local bring it down, or interchange with CN at some point, or would it just be easier to have CN pick up in TB?

The first issue with your hypothetical is that they'd have to build a spur into the Leslie Barns - which they've shown no inclination of doing.

CP served the port lands until about 15 years ago, so if we were having this discussion that long ago - yes, they could have delivered the cars.

In terms of how things are at present day, as for CN versus CP, considering that it costs $10+K to interchange a car between railroads, they would have likely used CN all of the way from Thunder Bay.

Dan

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:01 AM, Tom1122 said:

I wonder if 4445 can be repaired in Toronto or if it will have to be shipped back to Thunder Bay?

According to nextbus, car 4445 has been back in service since early this morning on 504 King, after a short, 5-day absence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

Then TTC will consider postponing the Retirements of the CLRVs and ALRVs

Yeah, that' s why there's no more than 150 streetcars in service on any given day any more ... because the TTC is simply delaying retirements ...