Streetcar News

CLRV4037

1 hour ago, ttc rider said:

To add to what Dan wrote above, compared to a high-floor car, a pantograph that rips off can be even more problematic on a low-floor car, where a lot of sensitive electronics are located on the roof, which can be damaged themselves if the pantograph falls down on them.

That's not true at all. Everything up on the roof is shielded, not the least of which for protection from the elements but also from things like the pan should it get torn off. If anything most of the "modern" high-floor designs would be more susceptible to damage, as most of the designs have the resistors located in a totally exposed manner right at the trolley pole base.

Dan

3 hours ago, ttc rider said:

Thanks for the info! Can you tell us if there is any issue with car 4400? It has not seen service for more than 10 days now.

4400 should be in service tomorrow. I can't recall the other issues holding the car other than a swapped out door from the car went to 4417 because there were no parts, and a master controller that got replaced. 

Its reported that 4423 will be at Hillcrest early next week, as it waiting for I believe CP 420? to pick it up.

Aug should see 4401 been ship to Thunder Bay when 4402 arrives. With luck, we should 4401 return by March or sooner.

On 2016-07-21 at 11:30 PM, drum118 said:

Its reported that 4423 will be at Hillcrest early next week, as it waiting for I believe CP 420? to pick it up.

Reportedly at Lambton Yard in Toronto tonight, not where the Yardmaster (West Tower from Agincourt Yard) thought it was, and the T15 local crew looking for it...

Lance Gleich, Toronto ON

4 hours ago, nfitz said:

And for first time in a bit, 510 is all Flexity. And two out on 509 (+ one on 514).  That's 18 in service. Is that a record? 

No, it's the third day with 18 cars in service concurrently, at least according to my notes. The first time that happened was on Sun, Jul. 17 and the second time was on Thu, Aug. 4.

Also of note is the return of car 4400 to revenue service today, after having been in service only once in the past month (on July 26).

11 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

A few days ago (a weekday last week) they had all Flexity's on the 510.

Many days have had all Flexities; but days when 3 were in service elsewhere were few and far between. 18 again today - seems to be the new weekday norm. Maybe we'll hit 19 in service one weekend soon.

43 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Many days have had all Flexities; but days when 3 were in service elsewhere were few and far between. 18 again today - seems to be the new weekday norm. Maybe we'll hit 19 in service one weekend soon.

I'm sure there was 18 out that day too. Like today, 15 on the 510, 2 on the 509 and 1 on the 514. How long it lasted, I'm not sure.

With the upcoming CNE, I wouldn't be surprised if they ran most if not all Flexity on the 509 leaving CLRVs on the 510 and ALRVs on the 511. 

9 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I'm sure there was 18 out that day too. Like today, 15 on the 510, 2 on the 509 and 1 on the 514. How long it lasted, I'm not sure.

With the upcoming CNE, I wouldn't be surprised if they ran most if not all Flexity on the 509 leaving CLRVs on the 510 and ALRVs on the 511. 

Is there a chance they could use some Flexities on the 511 like they did last year, and I would also assume more than 1 could make it on to the 514

4 hours ago, soo8513 said:

any word on 4424?

Is there also any word on 4402

15 minutes ago, 900 Highway 2 said:

Is there a chance they could use some Flexities on the 511 like they did last year, and I would also assume more than 1 could make it on to the 514

I doubt it. Officially the 510 is converted now so they shouldn't be replacing half the Flexity with ALRVs. If they can get all 22 Flexity out, that would be great. There just isn't enough to go around so it's better if they still ALRVs on the 511.

Union Station Loop is only long enough for a CLRV and a Flexity. It would be a challenge to run all Flexity in there. There's plenty of backlogs currently.

11 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I doubt it. Officially the 510 is converted now so they shouldn't be replacing half the Flexity with ALRVs. If they can get all 22 Flexity out, that would be great. There just isn't enough to go around so it's better if they still ALRVs on the 511.

Union Station Loop is only long enough for a CLRV and a Flexity. It would be a challenge to run all Flexity in there. There's plenty of backlogs currently.

They'll have to figure it out, though with more time than originally planned! :lol:

On 09/08/2016 at 5:25 PM, ttc rider said:

No, it's the third day with 18 cars in service concurrently, at least according to my notes. The first time that happened was on Sun, Jul. 17 and the second time was on Thu, Aug. 4.

Also of note is the return of car 4400 to revenue service today, after having been in service only once in the past month (on July 26).

Ive photographed 4400 back in May or June. And Ive seen it a few times in April.

5 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Ive photographed 4400 back in May or June. And Ive seen it a few times in April.

4400 was in service on a regular basis during the spring months. It was only on July 9 when it went off the radar for an extended period of time. It then was back in service for one day only, on July 26 before again going missing for two weeks. It has only started appearing again in daily service this past Tuesday, Aug. 9.

I have no idea if the extensive downtime was due to some defect or simply a way to equalize mileage on the fleet, as I expect both 4400 and 4403 (and 4404 to a lesser extent) to have a much higher mileage than the rest of the fleet.

10 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Who said that? Why would they even strip 4400? Couldn't they get more from Bombardier? It's funny that 4400 is still 5 years old and is getting "stripped"

The original prototype 4400 was stripped and replaced by other component for another vehicle while at Bombardier. A similar situation happened for 4402. When 4401 goes back, some of it's components would end up on another car in production (one of the 442x). Then would then upgrade 4401 to a production car and install new components when it's car body ready.

5 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The original prototype 4400 was stripped and replaced by other component for another vehicle while at Bombardier. A similar situation happened for 4402. When 4401 goes back, some of it's components would end up on another car in production (one of the 442x). Then would then upgrade 4401 to a production car and install new components when it's car body ready.

In the case of 4401, it will get refurbished components from 4402 once it goes back.