Streetcar News

CLRV4037

On 09/08/2016 at 5:25 PM, ttc rider said:

No, it's the third day with 18 cars in service concurrently, at least according to my notes. The first time that happened was on Sun, Jul. 17 and the second time was on Thu, Aug. 4.

Also of note is the return of car 4400 to revenue service today, after having been in service only once in the past month (on July 26).

Ive photographed 4400 back in May or June. And Ive seen it a few times in April.

5 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Ive photographed 4400 back in May or June. And Ive seen it a few times in April.

4400 was in service on a regular basis during the spring months. It was only on July 9 when it went off the radar for an extended period of time. It then was back in service for one day only, on July 26 before again going missing for two weeks. It has only started appearing again in daily service this past Tuesday, Aug. 9.

I have no idea if the extensive downtime was due to some defect or simply a way to equalize mileage on the fleet, as I expect both 4400 and 4403 (and 4404 to a lesser extent) to have a much higher mileage than the rest of the fleet.

10 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Who said that? Why would they even strip 4400? Couldn't they get more from Bombardier? It's funny that 4400 is still 5 years old and is getting "stripped"

The original prototype 4400 was stripped and replaced by other component for another vehicle while at Bombardier. A similar situation happened for 4402. When 4401 goes back, some of it's components would end up on another car in production (one of the 442x). Then would then upgrade 4401 to a production car and install new components when it's car body ready.

5 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The original prototype 4400 was stripped and replaced by other component for another vehicle while at Bombardier. A similar situation happened for 4402. When 4401 goes back, some of it's components would end up on another car in production (one of the 442x). Then would then upgrade 4401 to a production car and install new components when it's car body ready.

In the case of 4401, it will get refurbished components from 4402 once it goes back.

You don't crane a low-floor streetcar if you can help it. All of the modules needing to be supported, and all that.

They have special equipment that they've purchased that is specifically designed to move and rerail a car in a situation like this. But considering how much practice that they've had with the cars now, I'm very interested to find out what caused the amount of time required.

Dan

Greetings, I am new here and am looking forward to streetcar related discussions. 

I have a quick question: Peter Witt, PCC, CLRV, ALRV or Flexity? Why?

For me, I'll have to go for the PCC because it is one of the most nostalgic streetcars to ride on. 

Also, there are some streetcar videos from my youtube channel if anyone is interested.