Streetcar News

CLRV4037

13 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Random technical question; what are the steepest grades that the CLRVs can handle?

The grades that come to mind are: Bathurst St hill, Bathurst St underpass, Broadview Ave hill, Queen St W underpass, King & Queen St E overpass (@ Don Valley), Spadina Ave (south of Bremner), and St Clair West Stn (both sides). 

Edited by bus_7246
Forgotten detail
  • Like 1

4421 spotted in service on the 510. Today is presumably the first day, but after the bot reported it on the 306 two days ago it started tracking 4422 so I had to enter it manually.

I guess now I have to assume that the new streetcar will be on either 509 or 510.

On 6/10/2016 at 8:02 AM, sammi said:

4421 spotted in service on the 510. Today is presumably the first day, but after the bot reported it on the 306 two days ago it started tracking 4422 so I had to enter it manually.

to be clear though, 4422 isnt even on the flatbed yet, correct?

4422 left the yard this morning @ 6:00 buffered up to GO cab car 337. 

One thing to note is that 4421 is the first car to enter service with the final design access ramp. 4405 & 4415 continue to have prototype ramps installed. 

4402 will likely be delivered after 4423. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, LilRedDave said:

4422 left the yard this morning @ 6:00 buffered up to GO cab car 337. 

One thing to note is that 4421 is the first car to enter service with the final design access ramp. 4405 & 4415 continue to have prototype ramps installed. 

4402 will likely be delivered after 4423. 

So they finally decided to fix up 4402? Or did they build a new module for it?

thanks for the info Dave.

4422 arrived Toronto on Friday, delivery to Hillcrest today.

Anyone up at 6:00 am Sunday, they can watch 4422 get move from Hillcrest to the Barns. Will go south on Bathurst and east on Queen.

With this delivery, expect to see 4422 in service June 28-30

Say farewell to 4401 as it gets ship to Thunder Bay when 4402 gets here. 4401 D sections well/suppose be replace with the rebuilt D sections from 4402.

514 is to have 10 new cars by year end or sooner with 509 taking a hit. Looks like 511 is being move to 2017 roll out. There will be one flexity on 514 all the time until they can get a 2nd.

Pans will not be used until the end of the year now or when a few detour routes are converted.

No word what car number will be at this time that will arrive pan only. Strong feeling from various personel, they want the pole gone as soon as they can off the new cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

With 4401 getting the D module from 4402, does that mean that it will be gone for less time than 4402?

Considering that 4402 is gone for almost a year now, I'll assume the answer is yes. Otherwise we'll all be shaking our heads.

According to Dave, 4402 sat around with no work done on it until he recently mention it.

Looking at the schedule for 514 Cherry: http://webservices.nextbus.com/service/publicXMLFeed?command=schedule&a=ttc&r=514 it seems that all runs are assigned to Flexity operation on paper, meaning that the CLRV's currently operating there should be replaced by Flexities on a one-to-one basis with no cuts in service levels as more new cars become available.

1 hour ago, ttc rider said:

Looking at the schedule for 514 Cherry: http://webservices.nextbus.com/service/publicXMLFeed?command=schedule&a=ttc&r=514 it seems that all runs are assigned to Flexity operation on paper, meaning that the CLRV's currently operating there should be replaced by Flexities on a one-to-one basis with no cuts in service levels as more new cars become available.

Nextbus never tells you that. Don't know where you got that idea. TTC has included their carhouse trip to Queen/Broadview thus it would be trackable to and from that point.

The 514 were assigned CLRVs on paper running from Russell not Leslie carhouse according to the run guides.

It seems like 4421 is doing a special run on the 514 (trackable from the Sammdot tracker) and 5 scheduled runs are CLRVs.

3 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Nextbus never tells you that. Don't know where you got that idea.

No, nextbus does not specifically indicate that, but ever since the Flexities entered service in Sept. 2014, all runs in the 5x range, whether they were on 510 or 509 were assigned to low-floor operation on paper. That CLRV's are dispatched on these runs due to insufficient number of new cars is another matter. As you can see, all 514 runs are in the 5x range, as well, so why should this be any different?

Now, if you're saying that the run guides say otherwise, I believe you. Does that mean service levels will be reduced once the route is formally converted to LF operation?

5 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

No, nextbus does not specifically indicate that, but ever since the Flexities entered service in Sept. 2014, all runs in the 5x range, whether they were on 510 or 509 were assigned to low-floor operation on paper. That they run CLRV's on them due to insufficient number of new cars is another matter. As you can see, all 514 runs are in the 5x range, as well, so why should this be any different?

There's 2 Flexities out on 509 today, and neither are in the 500 range.

I think you are reading too much on this.

I should have been more specific:

When the Flexities were introduced on 510 & 509, there were two sets of run numbers:

runs 1 to x  - assigned CLRV's on paper

runs 50 - 5x  - assigned Flexities on paper.

*sidenote: when Flexities operated on 511 Bathurst briefly during the Pan Am Games, there were two runs assigned to them, and those were also in the 5x range (runs 56 and 57).

Once the routes were formally converted to Flexity operation  (namely, January 2016 board for rte. 510 and March 2016 for rte. 509), the numbering scheme was changed, so that all runs were assigned lower numbers, starting with run 1. This coincided with changing the schedule (i.e. widening the headways) to account for the higher capacities of the Flexities.

Coming back to rte. 514, all runs are numbered upwards from 50, which makes me believe that they all are assigned to Flexity operation on paper.

3 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

Coming back to rte. 514, all runs are numbered upwards from 50, which makes me believe that they all are assigned to Flexity operation on paper.

Then wouldn't the service summary show all-Flexity rather than all CLRV.

14 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Then wouldn't the service summary show all-Flexity rather than all CLRV>

Yes, it would. But the service summary is not flawless. Just look at page 63, where they add up the number of streetcars in service during various periods.

For the new streetcars, the numbers shown in that table do not always agree with each individual route summary. For example, AM peak shows 14 Flexities on 510 and 7 on 509 (total 21). The count on page 63 shows a total of 22. Similarly, Saturday early morning shows 7 Flexities on 510 and 4 on 509 (total 11), but the count on page 63 shows a total of 14 etc.. etc..

4 hours ago, ttc rider said:

I should have been more specific:

When the Flexities were introduced on 510 & 509, there were two sets of run numbers:

runs 1 to x  - assigned CLRV's on paper

runs 50 - 5x  - assigned Flexities on paper.

*sidenote: when Flexities operated on 511 Bathurst briefly during the Pan Am Games, there were two runs assigned to them, and those were also in the 5x range (runs 56 and 57).

Once the routes were formally converted to Flexity operation  (namely, January 2016 board for rte. 510 and March 2016 for rte. 509), the numbering scheme was changed, so that all runs were assigned lower numbers, starting with run 1. This coincided with changing the schedule (i.e. widening the headways) to account for the higher capacities of the Flexities.

Just because the 509 and 510 used 50's range number for Flexity doesn't mean this applies to every route. The TTC does this when multiple routes overlap. With different run numbers, the supervisors can monitor multiple routes without conflict. The 504 has run numbers going up to 47. 514 has run numbers from 50-60 on a weekday.

Yes the plan is to eventually assign all Flexity vehicles to the 514 but right now they are all CLRV's on paper. Anyways, doesn't it even matter? You're just creating a non-sense fuss out of this.