Streetcar News

CLRV4037

6 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It's a Saturday. It would be back to like 10 on Monday.

Why do you say that? There's been 14 running the last few days. 12 on 510 and 2 on 509.

7 hours ago, TransitfanJas0n said:

It seems like 4413 is always the one left out of the party when everybody else is out...

4413 is out on 510 right now.  Looks like everything is out right now except 4416 which is parked in the carhouse.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, nfitz said:

4413 is out on 510 right now.  Looks like everything is out right now except 4416 which is parked in the carhouse.

4416 was changed off with 4413 during the daytime. So 16 out of 17 in revenue service at a time. Not bad at all. Let's see if they'll be able to sustain it in the next few days. Two cars seem to be reserved for training on weekdays.

2 minutes ago, Bessarion said:

Ttc new streetcar delivery delayed again 

http://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/delivery-of-new-streetcars-hits-yet-another-snag-1.2870043

I would think with the deal they got on them they will just wait it out, collect the penalties to refurb the legacy fleet as the Siemens bid was significantly more. I've seen lot's of comments to just cancel the deal but doesn't work that way and to start all over.....would be longer wait.

The TTC may have wanted to get another 60 new streetcars, on top of the current order from Bombardier. Looks like the TTC should open that order to all. If the federal and provincial government allow every streetcar company in the world to bid, that is.

30 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Let's concentrate on the problem at hand  and not the one five years down the road.

What 5 years? What year are you in? It's not 2011. The Metrolinx LRV prototype is beyond due now. They need to get the Ion LRVs out soon to have enough for opening in 2017. Eglinton opens in September 2021, Finch is scheduled for Dec 2021. The two lines need roughly 100 LRVs which needs at least 2 years to build if they can produce 4 per month. 

The TTC streetcar problem was 2012's problem and the ML LRV was yesterday's problem.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WKLis said:

Typo: not "streetcars" but "light-rail vehicles".

They are pretty much the same thing. A streetcar is a light rail vehicle. the TTC ordered LFLRVs from Bombardier but called them streetcars!

We can argue how they are different but there are 90+% similar in design. How they operate (street running vs in tunnels) doesn't make them different.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WKLis said:

Looks like the TTC should open that order to all. 

That would be a good course of action especially since by the TTC's own estimates, the additional 60-car order will be insufficient to meet ridership demand by the late 2020's. Might as well put out a tender for a larger order now.

20 hours ago, WKLis said:

If the federal and provincial government allow every streetcar company in the world to bid, that is.

Unfortunately, that is highly unlikely to happen, so we will likely continue to be Bombardier's bitch indefinitely.

There are three "flavours" of light-rail vehicles. One, the streetcar, which would run on Toronto's legacy street railway network. Two, the light-rail vehicle, which would run on Transit City. Three, the tram-train, which might run in Montreal's network (see link).

50 minutes ago, WKLis said:

There are three "flavours" of light-rail vehicles. One, the streetcar, which would run on Toronto's legacy street railway network. Two, the light-rail vehicle, which would run on Transit City. Three, the tram-train, which might run in Montreal's network (see link).

You do realize that the difference between those 3 has more to do with the right of way than the vehicles themselves. The only reason why there isn't a common design between the TTC's legacy network and the future LRT lines is because of the difference in reversing methods.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ttc rider said:

That would be a good course of action especially since by the TTC's own estimates, the additional 60-car order will be insufficient to meet ridership demand by the late 2020's. Might as well put out a tender for a larger order now.

Unfortunately, that is highly unlikely to happen, so we will likely continue to be Bombardier's bitch indefinitely.

The way it is going TTC will be getting a good amount of those 60 cars for free from Bombardier in damages.

Question: Has anyone noticed a short-turned streetcar in recent days, particularly the 504? Neither have I..

And while we're at it, let's not include those going home for the day or those short-turning from a planned closure (505 at Dundas West Station). Just looking to compare observation notes.

3 hours ago, TDE said:

Question: Has anyone noticed a short-turned streetcar in recent days, particularly the 504? Neither have I..

And while we're at it, let's not include those going home for the day or those short-turning from a planned closure (505 at Dundas West Station). Just looking to compare observation notes.

supervisors are doing street change over instead of short turns if possible.  

4 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

supervisors are doing street change over instead of short turns if possible.  

Ahh I see. I think I recall that happening once recently. Thanks for that detail.

3 hours ago, nfitz said:

There's certainly less. I've seen the odd one or two though.

Well ain't this some...

IMG_20160424_001510.jpg

Bring it up after so long and boom. Church.

1 hour ago, octranspobusfreak said:

4403 was in service on the 511 a little while ago. Spotted it going south on Bathurst at Harbord at 14:45. Tried to get a couple of quick pics as it went by but they didn't turn out so well.

I saw a new streetcar off in the distance today at Queen and Bathurst, didn't expect in service so didn't think much more of it.

Assignments were a little unusual today though, there were at least two ALRVs on King while there were a lot of CLRVs on Queen.