CLRV4037

Streetcar News

13 minutes ago, bus_7246 said:

Yes I did. I work with the company

When someone says this in this manner, they mean for you to tell them the address. Let's try one more time: Do you know the address of this?

1 minute ago, Orion VI said:

When someone says this in this manner, they mean for you to tell them the address. Let's try one more time: Do you know the address of this?

perhaps instead of being snippy and belligerent, you should clarify what the hell you're asking.

Are you asking for the address of Bathurst station?

• Thanks 7

3 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

perhaps instead of being snippy and belligerent, you should clarify what the hell you're asking.

Are you asking for the address of Bathurst station?

No, im asking for the address of the panto raising station he mentioned before. 

(knew i was going to get in trouble for that, only trying to copy the attitude of the older members around here lol)

7 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

No, im asking for the address of the panto raising station he mentioned before. 

(knew i was going to get in trouble for that, only trying to copy the attitude of the older members around here lol)

I am pretty sure it is at the station like they mentioned. You just have to look.

May nave been answered earlier: What is the criteria for cars to use pantograph vs trolley pole? Noticed two cars loose their trolley pole today -- 504 turning from Dufferin to King, 2nd a 510 turning from King to Spadina?

Thanks 

12 hours ago, soo8513 said:

May nave been answered earlier: What is the criteria for cars to use pantograph vs trolley pole? Noticed two cars loose their trolley pole today -- 504 turning from Dufferin to King, 2nd a 510 turning from King to Spadina?

Thanks 

The overhead needs to be converted. This involves a number of different steps and stages, but the most important one is reworking intersections with new hardware to allow the pantographs to operate through them without snagging.

Dan

Another new destination sign on Flexitys seen - 512 St Clair // Short Turn // "To Bathurst Station".

This car was headed EB after the evening rush hour so I assume it would have been on its way  exiting the line EB at Vaughan directly, but that's the first time I've ever seen that sign used.

I have wondered if, should Metrolinx get permission to close Bathurst at/north of Eglinton to accelerate Forest Hill Station, some form of streetcar service between St Clair Ave and Bathurst Station, perhaps as a 512 short turn, would be operated to take the pressure off the lower part of 7 Bathurst. Of course, until we see what the diversions are, we won't know what sort of help that would be.

I know the 4600 series PCCs were rebuilt in the 80s because the cost of rebuilding a PCC was $100,000 cheaper than buying a new CLRV. I know around the time, the TTC had the ALRVs on order. Would it have been more expensive to add on to the ALRV order than to rebuild the PCCs?

2 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

I know the 4600 series PCCs were rebuilt in the 80s because the cost of rebuilding a PCC was $100,000 cheaper than buying a new CLRV. I know around the time, the TTC had the ALRVs on order. Would it have been more expensive to add on to the ALRV order than to rebuild the PCCs?

The TTC almost did order additional ALRVs to enable them to fully retire the PCCs - I think the number was to be 76 units in total. I think, as usual, funding became an issue.

Dan

2 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Has anyone been tracking the Flexity deployments on 501 over the past 3 weeks? Have they been getting them out there at all? I saw 4458, 4459, 4492 out on Dec 31 but have not been watching in the weeks before yesterday.

They have been very consistent over the past few weeks, by deploying six LF cars on Saturdays and twenty on Sundays (including Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year's Day).

Dec. 31 was the only day in the month of December when LF cars have made it out on 501 on a weekday.

As an aside, also on Dec. 31, three Flexity cars (4425, 4499 & 4515) operated in the morning as unscheduled extras on 511 Bathurst - probably because there was no need for them on 504 King in the morning peak due to lower demand compared to a regular weekday.

13 hours ago, ttc rider said:

They have been very consistent over the past few weeks, by deploying six LF cars on Saturdays and twenty on Sundays (including Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year's Day).

Dec. 31 was the only day in the month of December when LF cars have made it out on 501 on a weekday.

As an aside, also on Dec. 31, three Flexity cars (4425, 4499 & 4515) operated in the morning as unscheduled extras on 511 Bathurst - probably because there was no need for them on 504 King in the morning peak due to lower demand compared to a regular weekday.

I assume that during the daytime the Flexities are on the Neville-Humber branch only?

Lake Shore Blvd (home of the 501L) would probably be trivial to pantograph-ize. (I assume that the Gardiner underpass out of Humber loop has pantograph-friendly overhead.) Almost everything else looks to have been converted, and the power distribution is up to snuff. But, Lake Shore doesn't really need LF capacity, and increasing headways by 50% over the current CLRV service will do nothing good for service.

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I assume that during the daytime the Flexities are on the Neville-Humber branch only?

Lake Shore Blvd (home of the 501L) would probably be trivial to pantograph-ize. (I assume that the Gardiner underpass out of Humber loop has pantograph-friendly overhead.) Almost everything else looks to have been converted, and the power distribution is up to snuff. But, Lake Shore doesn't really need LF capacity, and increasing headways by 50% over the current CLRV service will do nothing good for service.

Based on the fact that 4425 & 4503, 4204 & 4249 are currently doing the Neville-Humber branch run, no Flexity out in the west for weekday. Have seen Flexity out in the west on weekends.

I expect the west will be the last section of 501 to be converted to Flexity late this year or when enough cars are on hand to make the line 100% Flexity.

All the overhead west of Parkside Dr is pan ready.

4460 involved in a collision EB on St.Clair, east of Oakwood ~4:00 PM today. White BMW SUV making a left on its red, in front of the streetcar, got bodied pretty hard. Occupants of SUV apparently transported by ambulance.

4460's front truck got derailed a little bit. Door-side panel got sheared off, front skirt and bumper also damaged a little. Cleared around 5:40 PM.

IMG_0648[1].JPG

IMG_0649[1].JPG

IMG_0650[1].JPG

IMG_0646[1].JPG

With the January board period starting tomorrow, Roncesvalles re-opens as an active division and will operate all runs on 512 St. Clair for starters.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 7:38 PM, 63 Ossington said:

4460 involved in a collision EB on St.Clair, east of Oakwood ~4:00 PM today. White BMW SUV making a left on its red, in front of the streetcar, got bodied pretty hard. Occupants of SUV apparently transported by ambulance.

4460's front truck got derailed a little bit. Door-side panel got sheared off, front skirt and bumper also damaged a little. Cleared around 5:40 PM.

IMG_0648[1].JPG

IMG_0649[1].JPG

IMG_0650[1].JPG

IMG_0646[1].JPG

Typical BMW driver.

2 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

Typical BMW driver.

Typically I would say there's no need to bring up that kind of elitism. But after I singlehandedly witnessed 2 incidents yesterday involving BMW drivers nearly throttling past open Flexity streetcar doors, and recalling a previous incident of a BMW driver managing to wedge themselves between a streetcar and a platform on St.Clair while making a left hand turn over the summer, I cant disagree with that statement.

However, I wouldnt just limit these kind of stupid decisions to just "BMW drivers", it just seems like these luxury vehicle owners are more likely to be involved in incidents like this.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:24 PM, ttc rider said:

There were ~6 Flexity's on Queen a few afternoons ago but none today. Weekdays look to be in a lot of flux.

I seem to see more of them coming & going east past Leslie these days, some have been Training cars but most of them that I've seen in recent weeks were in fact in service going to Neville Park.

Flexity have being showing up on 501, 501L and 301. Have see 2-3 Flexity in service on 501L at the same time for midday on weekday, with 2-5 on 501 as well.

Flexity in testing have been using Roncy yard for layover or turning.

On 1/6/2019 at 4:14 PM, lip said:

Typically I would say there's no need to bring up that kind of elitism. But after I singlehandedly witnessed 2 incidents yesterday involving BMW drivers nearly throttling past open Flexity streetcar doors, and recalling a previous incident of a BMW driver managing to wedge themselves between a streetcar and a platform on St.Clair while making a left hand turn over the summer, I cant disagree with that statement.

However, I wouldnt just limit these kind of stupid decisions to just "BMW drivers", it just seems like these luxury vehicle owners are more likely to be involved in incidents like this.

If you're talking about this incident, it was a Mercedes. 

Dg81J9zWkAMBJdX.jpg

qx4e4.jpg

• Like 2