CLRV4037

Streetcar News

5,975 posts in this topic

On 09/01/2017 at 6:02 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

I don't think we should be surprised that they're back down to 4 new cars on the 509. Training is resuming. 

Of course nextbus screwed up again with all the new routes introduced since last June is missing. We'll need the tracker to check what's running on the 514.

514 is back on Nextbus.

Only 4 cars on 509 - but also 4 Flexities on 514 as well.  So they've maintained 22 in service (with the 14 on 514).

edit - with rush hour over, dropped to 3 cars  on 509 and two on 514.

5 hours ago, nfitz said:

514 is back on Nextbus.

Only 4 cars on 509 - but also 4 Flexities on 514 as well.  So they've maintained 22 in service (with the 14 on 514).

edit - with rush hour over, dropped to 3 cars  on 509 and two on 514.

So the rush hour cars are the training cars.

40 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

So the rush hour cars are the training cars.

This morning, it would seem.  But they seem to change up what they are doing every week.

Hmm, counting 24 in service now. 14 on 510. 6 on 509, and 4 on 514.  A record?

21 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Hmm, counting 24 in service now. 14 on 510. 6 on 509, and 4 on 514.  A record?

Yes, today is the first day with 24 in service concurrently.

50 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Any news on 4431?

Untrackable so far.

1 hour ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Any news on 4431?

Not planned to be in service this month. It will eventually arrive.

We shouldn't be surprised that nothing is showing up. They cleared the production line and have to start fresh. The mad rush late last year shows Bombardier can do much better.

I believe 25 new streetcars made it out today. 509, 510 and 514 were running exclusively with new cars today. 514 only had 5 runs today oppose to 7 on Saturdays.

45 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I believe 25 new streetcars made it out today. 509, 510 and 514 were running exclusively with new cars today.

Actually, 26 were in service out of 30 available: 14 on 510, 7 on 509 and 5 on 514. A record so far.

Today we have marked yet another milestone: the first day with 509 & 514 operated exclusively by new cars throughout the day.

Other tidbits that may be of interest:

- car 4400 has only seen service three times this month: on Sunday, Jan 15, on Wednesday, Jan 18 and today, Sunday, Jan 22. Prior to this, it had been in service quite regularly until Dec. 29 of last year. Does anyone know if this downtime was due to some defect or it has simply rested on its oars as a way to equalize mileage among the fleet (since both 4400 and 4403 should have a lot more mileage on them than the rest)?

- car 4424 returned to service today after having last been in service on the morning of Thu, Jan 5. At that time, it was changed-off and removed from service in the morning around 9:30 AM, so there may have been some defect that caused the car to be held back for so long.

1 person likes this

Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere, but it seems that more CLRVs and ALRVs have the external announcement working than not.

The memo must have gone out. ;)

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere, but it seems that more CLRVs and ALRVs have the external announcement working than not.

Yes it has. They're working on giving all of us streetcar operators a book with the codes. Once we receive the book, we must make sure that the announcements are on if they are operational. Sometimes they don't work though.

On 2017-01-22 at 11:27 PM, ttc rider said:

Actually, 26 were in service out of 30 available: 14 on 510, 7 on 509 and 5 on 514. A record so far.

Today we have marked yet another milestone: the first day with 509 & 514 operated exclusively by new cars throughout the day.

Other tidbits that may be of interest:

- car 4400 has only seen service three times this month: on Sunday, Jan 15, on Wednesday, Jan 18 and today, Sunday, Jan 22. Prior to this, it had been in service quite regularly until Dec. 29 of last year. Does anyone know if this downtime was due to some defect or it has simply rested on its oars as a way to equalize mileage among the fleet (since both 4400 and 4403 should have a lot more mileage on them than the rest)?

- car 4424 returned to service today after having last been in service on the morning of Thu, Jan 5. At that time, it was changed-off and removed from service in the morning around 9:30 AM, so there may have been some defect that caused the car to be held back for so long.

4400 was being shunted around the yard until the car lost the trolley base as the car hit an insulator in the yard. The investigation ruled out that the shoe had worn down too far. Repairs were made. After that, the car had work to be done after a safety inspection. Then the car was used for training in between dates post mid January. 

4424 has had a bad repeater issue  with the door cameras. The car was grounded until Bombardier technicians were able to rectify the issue causing the recurring faults. 

14 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Aside from three ALRVs that are being refurbished at Harvey shops and a long term hold at Roncesvalles, all the cars have the speaker system installed. Their functionality is another question lol. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

4400 was being shunted around the yard until the car lost the trolley base as the car hit an insulator in the yard. The investigation ruled out that the shoe had worn down too far. Repairs were made. After that, the car had work to be done after a safety inspection. Then the car was used for training in between dates post mid January. 

4424 has had a bad repeater issue  with the door cameras. The car was grounded until Bombardier technicians were able to rectify the issue causing the recurring faults. 

Thanks for the detailed info - it is much appreciated!

Speaking of new cars and their mileage - there was discussion a while back about how they are trying to even out the mileage among the fleet, since 4400 & 4403 (and 4404 to a lesser extent) had entered service way before the rest of the fleet, and therefore should have a lot more mileage on them. I never quite understood why this would be a concern in the first place. It seems to me that having unequal mileage actually naturally spreads out the maintenance cycle to optimize capacity. 

Looking at my detailed dispatching records, it doesn't seem that the older cars are being "held back" more than the rest, although it does seem that cars 4403 and 4405 in particular have been used for training significantly more than would be expected from a purely random assignment.

Is there any truth to this "mileage equalization" rumor? Or just an urban legend? How does the actual mileage on 4400/4403/4404 compare with that on the rest of the fleet? What is the car with the greatest mileage so far?

They have 3 full day runs on the 514 plus 2 AM peak runs.
509's 7th car for AM (4417 on 3 run) and PM (4426 on 8 run) both got a Flexity.

That's 26 car's in the morning and 24 right now with 27 of them actually been dispatched normally into service today. I'm not sure if 4415 actually did any service but it's still signed in as a 504 at Lesile Barns.

Good to see that most of them are being used in service now.

During this afternoon's (still ongoing) overhead problems at Queen's Quay and Spadina and King and Spadina, 4409 was operating in panto mode (NIS) SB Spadina probably to one of the scenes as a test car.

IMG_0528[1].JPG

overhead is fixed, but not it's down at Degrassi/Queen

Odd you mention 4409, just saw it about 30 minutes ago being pushed down King by an ALRV, with all it's power off.  Perhaps they raised the panto because of a problem with the pole.

Odder still, I was following it on a 504, and 4409 headed east on Queen towards Degrassi - and the 501 behind us followed us up Broadview to detour because of the down wire at Degrassi.

On 1/21/2017 at 11:51 PM, Kelvin3157 said:

Any news on 4431?

Should be getting loaded today. 

14 hours ago, nfitz said:

overhead is fixed, but not it's down at Degrassi/Queen

Odd you mention 4409, just saw it about 30 minutes ago being pushed down King by an ALRV, with all it's power off.  Perhaps they raised the panto because of a problem with the pole.

Odder still, I was following it on a 504, and 4409 headed east on Queen towards Degrassi - and the 501 behind us followed us up Broadview to detour because of the down wire at Degrassi.

It was being pushed because ... let's say the panto wasn't attached to the car anymore....

3 people like this

2 hours ago, LilRedDave said:

Should be getting loaded today. 

It was being pushed because ... let's say the panto wasn't attached to the car anymore....

The TTC street supervisor will be in hot water for that one. The overhead (despite being converted) has not been signed off for panto use. 4409 lost the shoe on the pole, then wherever and whatever the panto hit, totalled the one that it had.IMG_0075.JPGIMG_0076.JPG

I wonder if 4409 and the coupled ALRV was related to the reported disablement at Queen and Degrassi during the overhead-caused detour.

16 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

I wonder if 4409 and the coupled ALRV was related to the reported disablement at Queen and Degrassi during the overhead-caused detour.

I don't think so. I was on the 504 that was following 4409 down King and Queen. When we turned north, I could see the entourage with 4409 (the pushing ALRV, and TTC trucks both in front of and behind) was only about a block east of Broadview.  The 501 right behind us followed us up Broadview.  At Gerrard, I pulled out my phone, and the announcement about the Degrassi wire problem was about 2 minutes old.

Just a coincidence.

A record of 28 new cars in service concurrently this afternoon (out of 30 available) - all, except 4409 & 4412 - with 509, 510 & 514 fully operated with Flexities. And 4412 has been in service on 509 earlier today before being changed-off with 4402, so 29 (out of 30) Flexities have made it out today.

23 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

4409 lost the shoe on the pole, then wherever and whatever the panto hit, totalled the one that it had.

I believe it was the section insulator on S-bound Spadina just past King that did 4409's panto in. Coincidentally, the same spot where car 4406 lost its trolley shoe during the icestorm last year.

Excuse me for being dense, but why would a section insulator damage a pantograph?

1 hour ago, ttc rider said:

A record of 28 new cars in service concurrently this afternoon (out of 30 available) - all, except 4409 & 4412 - with 509, 510 & 514 fully operated with Flexities. And 4412 has been in service on 509 earlier today before being changed-off with 4402, so 29 (out of 30) Flexities have made it out today

I was just noticing that. 14 cars on 510, and 7 each on 509 and 514.

6 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Excuse me for being dense, but why would a section insulator damage a pantograph?

If the insulator is damaged or in poor condition the pantograph can snag on it. Though, Spadina has the newer K&M insulators that are supposed to be pantograph compatible, if the TTC wants to go all pan they're going to have to keep the streetcar overhead in much better condition than they have in the past.

1 person likes this