Streetcar News

CLRV4037

I saw a couple Flexity's going along Queen near Russel NIS, with a bunch of TTC staff in safety vests inside, so they are testing stuff I guess...

Also saw another NIS Flexity drop off some TTC brass at Harvey's at Queen & Coxwell, including CEO Rick Leary & Deputy CEO Kristen Watson.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Shaun said:

If the damage was significant, I would think that the operator would have noticed. 

Those cars are very quiet and smooth, impacts would be noticed. 

If the operators noticed immediately, they would have pinpointed a particular location. 

5 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

Latest update says 501 streetcar service will not likely resume until Monday morning. 

It sounds like they don't have enough parts to repair all the streetcars. Some would have to be sidelined till they all get fixed.

4581 approaching Long Branch loop.

The eastbound shuttle buses on Lake Shore are signed up for Neville. Does this mean that all the shuttles are running Neville-Long Branch? WIthout being able to enter Humber loop, there's no really good place to short turn buses in the west end. Turning at Roncesvalles will overload through buses west of there, as the new condos around Windermere have made the Queensway stops pretty busy. I guess they could do Ellis Park-Lake Shore-Windermere. However the TTC service alert doesn't really say anything other than the buses are running via WIndermere and Lake Shore to route.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

4581 approaching Long Branch loop.

The eastbound shuttle buses on Lake Shore are signed up for Neville. Does this mean that all the shuttles are running Neville-Long Branch? WIthout being able to enter Humber loop, there's no really good place to short turn buses in the west end. Turning at Roncesvalles will overload through buses west of there, as the new condos around Windermere have made the Queensway stops pretty busy. I guess they could do Ellis Park-Lake Shore-Windermere. However the TTC service alert doesn't really say anything other than the buses are running via WIndermere and Lake Shore to route.

Yes buses are running from Long Branch Loop to Neville Park Loop. Some short turns at Bathurst, Roncy and Humber. 

• Like 1

Wouldn’t it have helped if the TTC activated the GO protocol to/from Long Branch and Mimico GO Stations in the west and advise passengers in the Beaches to take the 64 Main up to Main Stn. or Danforth GO and ride on a TTC fare there as well. Or at least add some extra service to the Humber Bay and Beach express buses and allow them to be used on a regular fare. Something to mitigate the situation other than just shuttle buses. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sid said:

Does the GO protocol work both ways? I've only heard of GO passengers being allowed on the TTC.

Yes, sometimes during unscheduled subway closures or serious delays the TTC allows passengers to take GO transit on a TTC fare. I think encouraging passengers to use Long Branch, Mimico and Danforth GO Stations during rush hour could help somewhat. 

Due to the on going problem on Queen st., the CLRVs that were scheduled to run on Saturday have been canceled. Unknown at this time for Sunday. They will still run on Bathurst.

The problem has been found. Bad joint. Empty car fine. Fully loaded car not so much.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, drum118 said:

Due to the on going problem on Queen st., the CLRVs that were scheduled to run on Saturday have been canceled. Unknown at this time for Sunday. They will still run on Bathurst.

The problem has been found. Bad joint. Empty car fine. Fully loaded car not so much.

That was a point someone made after the first inspection run came up empty. Maybe TTC should keep some sandbags available at Leslie Barns.

3 hours ago, drum118 said:

It isn't a joint. The rail itself is fine.

The issue is with a concrete slab within the track allowance on the west side of the Don River Bridge. They found that it would move 2 to 3 inches as a car passed over it.

Dan

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, smallspy said:

The issue is with a concrete slab within the track allowance on the west side of the Don River Bridge. They found that it would move 2 to 3 inches as a car passed over it.

Dan

So is it east of where the King/Queen tracks intersect? If so, why didn’t it impact King streetcars? 

33 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Dan

Is around it here or am I off base?

IMG_20191129_181520~2.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nfitz said:

The tracks intersect on the bridge (see the underneath of the bridge in Streetview).

West side of the bridge, on Queen, would be between King and River on Queen.

1 hour ago, bus_7246 said:

It’s probably after the streetcar tracks split off and the two lines go their separate ways 

1 hour ago, christine said:

Is around it here or am I off base?

IMG_20191129_181520~2.jpg

Christine your about right

Heres a st view looking east (west side of the bridge at the junction)

Screenshot_20191129-195134_Maps.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, smallspy said:

Dan

So how would they stop it from flexing so much to prevent further damage to cars that pass?

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

So how would they stop it from flexing so much to prevent further damage to cars that pass?

If it's right at the joint, looking at Streeview, modifying the bridge, in the way they modified the joint and abutment  just next to that for King, for the streetcar lanes would work (recall that streetcars didn't use that piece for months because of problems with the bridge). Looks like that's been an accident waiting to happen for many years.

22 hours ago, Shaun said:

It may not be an issue of flexing. Perhaps all they needed to do was drill and grout some anchors to prevent it from bouncing.

I don't have enough information to know exactly what the cause was, nor what the fix was, so frankly this may all just be idle speculation.

Dan

• Like 1