Streetcar News

CLRV4037

30 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

No justification was provided, no. Some comments speculated that it might have been something similar to what they practiced at British Railways or at many transit agencies in the former communist bloc, whereby if they couldn't repair a vehicle in time to appease the brass, then they would swap the number, i.e. if 4126 was in need of repairs and required by a certain time period, but was not finished, they would renumber 4158 to 4126 in its place, and 4126 would presumably take 4158's identity.

Somewhat conveniently, both cars are gone, so no one can check the builder's plates to verify if any skullduggery had taken place.

I’d say it’s very convenient. Both 4158 and 4126 have different fonts for fleet numbers and both are off property already so I’d say they’re likely lying.

If he’s not lying, the only thing I could think of is during some repair the panel with the builder’s plate got swapped and the employee thought the car changed numbers. But then again, if they’re a Carhouse employee, you’d think they’d know about that sort of thing. 

2 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

Flexity 4464 derailed at King & University. Partially on sidewalk. I believe it collided with an SUV as well 

Streetcar derailment - CBC

That’s how CBC is reporting it. There’s an impressive photograph that must’ve been taken out one of the office building windows showing the derailed streetcar from above partway down the article.

20 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

We’ve all seen pictures of 4464 derailed but are there any pictures of the SUV that collided with it?  I’m curious to see what the damage to the automobile was.

https://twitter.com/MaxMCizauskas/status/1138077586544889858?s=20

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Urbanist/status/1138081498316324865?s=20

Both tweets have a pic 

As of now, there are no Flexities on the 501L and it’s 100% CLRV. Over the past few weeks regularly 2-3 flexities run on there. 

I’d say they’re either preparing for next week by operating the 501L with CLRVs so low floors can be freed up for Bathurst or the cars are needed somewhere else currently 

18 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

As of now, there are no Flexities on the 501L and it’s 100% CLRV. Over the past few weeks regularly 2-3 flexities run on there. 

I’d say they’re either preparing for next week by operating the 501L with CLRVs so low floors can be freed up for Bathurst or the cars are needed somewhere else currently 

I thought they are going to make 501 Neville Humber 100% Flexity before having 511 use them?

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

I thought they are going to make 501 Neville Humber 100% Flexity before having 511 use them?

There have been so many deployment plans, that it's hard to keep track.

But I think the latest was in the CEO's report for the May 8 2019 TTC meeting which said:

"Subsequent routes for streetcar deployment will be: 511 Bathurst (summer 2019), 501 Queen (Long Branch Loop to Humber Loop, fall 2019), 506 Carlton (late 2019), and 505 Dundas (spring 2020). Low-floor streetcar service on Kingston Road will be introduced in 2020 following a review of streetcar services as part of our Five-Year Service Plan."

The 501 (central) deployment should be achieved with the next board, on Sunday June 22. So we may start seeing Flexities on 511 as early as Sunday.

(edit ... of course 511 has had Flexities before -  511 was partially, and on some days, even before the CNE, entirely Flexity, starting with the August 5, 2018 board, until it was replaced by bus on Labour Day weekend)

Regarding the Flexity allocation, the schedule for the June board calls for:

113 cars in AM peak,

94 during weekday midday

111 in PM peak

112 on Saturdays (afternoon)

94 on Sundays (afternoon).

This compares with the following (based on my daily observations) for the current board period:

~110-111 in AM peak

~90 during weekday midday

~104-105 in PM peak

99 on Saturdays (afternoon)

95-96 on Sundays (afternoon).

So with some modest increases in the number of new cars on the road in most operating periods starting next week, I think it is virtually guaranteed that some Flexities will be deployed on 511 Bathurst, especially on Sundays. I wouldn't be surprised if all runs on Sundays are operated with Flexities, since only 10 cars are needed in total.

Weekdays and Saturdays are a different story. I suspect most service will be run with CLRV's on those days, at least for a few more weeks until extra cars are delivered and commissioned.