Streetcar News

CLRV4037

2 hours ago, drum118 said:

How can you count 135 in service when there is only 131 certify for service today? 4532-4536 are still under going testing.

4531 is in service - I rode it the other day, with it's newer style Presto fare machines. 4534 is in service too. That would make 134 originally certified for service wouldn't it? 4500 to 4531 plus 4534 minus 4501 plus 4572 and 4573 is 134.

Is it fair to then subtract the water-damaged cars and warranty-service cars before applying a 20% spare ratio? I thought that a 20% ratio was designed for such stuff already, and that you'd use a lower spare ratio if you remove the cars that are undergoing some kind of major work like that.

How can you count 135 in service when there is only 131 certify for service today? 4532-4536 are still under going testing.

You got 2 cars in NY and 4 cars in QC. You also have a damage car that still needs fixing. That leaves 124 available for service. Using TTC 20% spare ratio, you have 25 out of service, leaving 119 that could be put into service.

Having reliable spacing will not work when you have poor planing and scheduling, traffic issues and riders holding up car movement.

You will have a higher spare ratio on the weekends since there are less car in service due to lower ridership needs.

I was actually off by 1 the TTC has accepted 134 cars for service. Don't forget about 4572 and 4573 which have been accepted and I subtracted the 2 flood damaged cars and cars shipped off for re-welding.

10 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

I was actually off by 1 the TTC has accepted 134 cars for service. Don't forget about 4572 and 4573 which have been accepted and I subtracted the 2 flood damaged cars and cars shipped off for re-welding.

Keep forgetting those Kingston cars

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

4531 is in service - I rode it the other day, with it's newer style Presto fare machines. 4534 is in service too. That would make 134 originally certified for service wouldn't it? 4500 to 4531 plus 4534 minus 4501 plus 4572 and 4573 is 134.

Is it fair to then subtract the water-damaged cars and warranty-service cars before applying a 20% spare ratio? I thought that a 20% ratio was designed for such stuff already, and that you'd use a lower spare ratio if you remove the cars that are undergoing some kind of major work like that.

Forgot about 4534 since it was out of order for delivery. 

When cars are out of service for 4 plus months with no know delivery date, they should be deem out of service and not part of the spare ratio. 

When cars are out of service for 4 plus months with no know delivery date, they should be deem out of service and not part of the spare ratio. 

Perhaps ... though even then the spare ratio currently seems higher than I'd expect - especially for new equipment. Hopefully it's just the vagaries of TTC scheduling.

The TTC's calculated spare ratio is 16%

And the cars off for warranty work aren't counted towards this, there is a separate count for cars out for "warranty work and capital upgrades", which accounts for 4% of the fleet for the first 3 or so years of their lifespan. After 2023 however, that 4% are free to be used for service.

Dan

3 hours ago, smallspy said:

The TTC's calculated spare ratio is 16%

And the cars off for warranty work aren't counted towards this, there is a separate count for cars out for "warranty work and capital upgrades", which accounts for 4% of the fleet for the first 3 or so years of their lifespan. After 2023 however, that 4% are free to be used for service.

So 20% includes the "warranty work and capital upgrades" - or about 8 cars of the 204-car fleet out for warranty work  and 33 for spares, leaving 163 for service.

With about 160 streetcars (95 Flexities and  65 CLRVs) out around 9 AM last week plus 60 buses on 502, 503, 505, 506, and 511.

Yeah, this is going to work well ... bustitute 505 and 511 until 2026?

• Like 1

Anyone know the reason for the slow operations zone, both ways, from just east of Humber loop to just before the west approach to the Humber bridge? Track is new, overhead is new, and I don't see any other nearby activities that might require slow operation.

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Anyone know the reason for the slow operations zone, both ways, from just east of Humber loop to just before the west approach to the Humber bridge? Track is new, overhead is new, and I don't see any other nearby activities that might require slow operation.

It’s apparently up because of an overhead hanger/support piece that keeps coming undone on the eastbound side. Why is it up for the westbound side is beyond me

• Thanks 1

Flexity #4438 has headed to Hillcrest this morning, and is now sitting in a service bay. It has been missing for a long time, with March 7 as its last day of service. Does anyone know what the issue with this car is?

Other Flexity cars physically on property and that have not been in service in a long time include 4406, 4427, 4450, 4453 & 4486.

3 hours ago, ttc rider said:

Flexity #4438 has headed to Hillcrest this morning, and is now sitting in a service bay. It has been missing for a long time, with March 7 as its last day of service. Does anyone know what the issue with this car is?

Other Flexity cars physically on property and that have not been in service in a long time include 4406, 4427, 4450, 4453 & 4486.

4438 side swiped a garbage truck back in March. Caused damage to the curbside of the front two sections

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:51 PM, bus_7246 said:

4438 side swiped a garbage truck back in March. Caused damage to the curbside of the front two sections

Thanks for the info!

In other news, Flexity 4486 has returned to service for the first time today, after the overhead incident at St. Clair West on September 27 last year. Total downtime = 202 days.

Flexity 4450 also returned to service today, after a 99-day absence. It was last in service on January 8. Does anyone know what happened to it?

• Thanks 1

Vintage and current TTC streetcars join Beaches Easter parade

April 18, 2019

TTC streetcars, vintage and modern, are ready to roll at the annual Toronto Beaches Easter Parade this Sun., Apr. 21 at 2 p.m.

The parade runs along Queen St. E. from Munro Park Ave. to Woodbine Ave.

One of the TTC's new accessible streetcars will join a CLRV streetcar, along with the historic Peter Witt streetcar, which served Toronto residents from 1921 until 1963, and the classic PCC streetcar that was the backbone of the TTC's streetcar fleet for several decades starting in 1938. The final PCC was retired from service in 1995.

During the parade, the 501 Queen streetcar route will turn back at Kingston Rd. starting at 1 p.m. The 64 Main and 92 Woodbine South buses offer service nearest the parade route, but will also be on diversion for the duration. Visit ttc.ca for more details.

Regular service resumes when the parade ends at approximately 5 p.m.

• Like 2

Vintage and current TTC streetcars join Beaches Easter parade

April 18, 2019

TTC streetcars, vintage and modern, are ready to roll at the annual Toronto Beaches Easter Parade this Sun., Apr. 21 at 2 p.m.

The parade runs along Queen St. E. from Munro Park Ave. to Woodbine Ave.

One of the TTC's new accessible streetcars will join a CLRV streetcar, along with the historic Peter Witt streetcar, which served Toronto residents from 1921 until 1963, and the classic PCC streetcar that was the backbone of the TTC's streetcar fleet for several decades starting in 1938. The final PCC was retired from service in 1995.

During the parade, the 501 Queen streetcar route will turn back at Kingston Rd. starting at 1 p.m. The 64 Main and 92 Woodbine South buses offer service nearest the parade route, but will also be on diversion for the duration. Visit ttc.ca for more details.

Regular service resumes when the parade ends at approximately 5 p.m.

No ALRV?

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if it was a practice, at any point in the history of the CLRV, for cars to swap numbers?

A while back, in the Toronto Transit FB group, a TTC employee from Leslie Barns replied to a photo of 4126 by saying that that car used to be 4158. Now, this member was not known for posting trustworthy information (they previously claimed 4002 had been scrapped back in March, the day before the car returned to service, and when called out on it said that they were just messing with people), but I thought I'd ask here for a confirmation/denial of these claims. Thanks!

5 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Does anyone know if it was a practice, at any point in the history of the CLRV, for cars to swap numbers?

A while back, in the Toronto Transit FB group, a TTC employee from Leslie Barns replied to a photo of 4126 by saying that that car used to be 4158. Now, this member was not known for posting trustworthy information (they previously claimed 4002 had been scrapped back in March, the day before the car returned to service, and when called out on it said that they were just messing with people), but I thought I'd ask here for a confirmation/denial of these claims. Thanks!

I have no definite answer but I have a couple thoughts. 

Did they provide any rationale or reason for them changing the numbers? I don’t see a clear reason why they would. And since 4126 came first (January vs February 1981) if 4158 changed to 4126, then did they not make a real 4126 first or did they re-number that as well ? And what got renumbered to be the new 4158 ? And the cycle continues. 

D4F14189-399D-4D4E-A2A3-9729916A6BA0.thumb.jpeg.71ddd437c3a11e66e6854752fa8abece.jpeg

That being said, the only doubt I have is the unusual placing of the fleet numbers on 4158 at the front. Does anyone know why the numbers are placed higher up than normal ? 

1 hour ago, CLRV4002 said:

I have no definite answer but I have a couple thoughts. 

Did they provide any rationale or reason for them changing the numbers? I don’t see a clear reason why they would. And since 4126 came first (January vs February 1981) if 4158 changed to 4126, then did they not make a real 4126 first or did they re-number that as well ? And what got renumbered to be the new 4158 ? And the cycle continues. 

D4F14189-399D-4D4E-A2A3-9729916A6BA0.thumb.jpeg.71ddd437c3a11e66e6854752fa8abece.jpeg

That being said, the only doubt I have is the unusual placing of the fleet numbers on 4158 at the front. Does anyone know why the numbers are placed higher up than normal ? 

No justification was provided, no. Some comments speculated that it might have been something similar to what they practiced at British Railways or at many transit agencies in the former communist bloc, whereby if they couldn't repair a vehicle in time to appease the brass, then they would swap the number, i.e. if 4126 was in need of repairs and required by a certain time period, but was not finished, they would renumber 4158 to 4126 in its place, and 4126 would presumably take 4158's identity.

Somewhat conveniently, both cars are gone, so no one can check the builder's plates to verify if any skullduggery had taken place.