Streetcar News

CLRV4037

16 hours ago, MK78 said:

That's a bit of a weird rule. So it takes that entire unit out of service, and the unit behind it to push it away?

Is there a technical reason to not allow the pole to be used, at least to get off the line, without impacting service?

It depends on the location. In the vast majority of the network, the operator will put the pole up and drive the vehicle away and back to the shops.

But because of the conversion of the OCS in St Clair West Station that is no longer possible on St Clair. Thus the rule there is that all cars stop-and-stay, and the affected car gets pushed out of the way.

Dan

Overall, it looks like a bad week for the new streetcar fleet.

This is the second collision involving a Flexity car this week. Car 4464 was hit at Queen & Dunn on Thanksgiving day.

Two more incidents happened this past week where a Flexity was involved: pedestrian fatality with car 4495 at Queen & Hamilton on Thanksgiving Day (Oct. 8) and overhead incident at Queen & Spadina with the pantograph arm ripped off on car 4413 on Oct. 7.

Add car 4486, which has not seen service since the overhead incident at St Clair West on September 27, car 4400 off property for welding repairs and water-logged cars 4419, 71 & 78 unavailable since early August for a total of 9 Flexity cars sidelined at the moment.

1 hour ago, ttc rider said:

This is the second collision involving a Flexity car this week. Car 4464 was hit at Queen & Dunn on Thanksgiving day.

Two more incidents happened this past week where a Flexity was involved: pedestrian fatality with car 4495 at Queen & Hamilton on Thanksgiving Day (Oct. ? and overhead incident at Queen & Spadina with the pantograph arm ripped off on car 4413 on Oct. 7.

Add car 4486, which has not seen service since the overhead incident at St Clair West on September 27, car 4400 off property for welding repairs and water-logged cars 4419, 71 & 78 unavailable since early August for a total of 9 Flexity cars sidelined at the moment.

4402 was involved in a pedestrian accident earlier this week.

10 hours ago, ttc rider said:

Yes, Tuesday overnight, on Roncesvalles. I haven't included that one, since the car should be back in service tomorrow.

And it is indeed, out on the 504B today.

4486's GPS has also been reactivated and is reporting as being in the outdoors storage tracks, so I supect service will come soon for this car too.

On 10/11/2018 at 9:01 PM, ttc rider said:

Two more incidents happened this past week where a Flexity was involved: pedestrian fatality with car 4495 at Queen & Hamilton on Thanksgiving Day (Oct. ? and overhead incident at Queen & Spadina with the pantograph arm ripped off on car 4413 on Oct. 7.

4401 off property for modifications.

1 hour ago, 7575 said:

4401 off property for modifications.

Yes, but it makes no sense to count it with the other sidelined cars, since it was never in revenue service to begin with.

Car 4413 has been repaired and should be back in service tomorrow (i.e. Sat, Oct. 13) after the incident on Oct. 7.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ttc rider said:

Yes, but it makes no sense to count it with the other sidelined cars, since it was never in revenue service to begin with.

Car 4413 has been repaired and should be back in service tomorrow (i.e. Sat, Oct. 13) after the incident on Oct. 7.

Alright.

10 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Stuart Green (@ttcstuart) says 4401 is still in Quebec. I know as lead car for the welding project it isn't representative, and as an early car it probably has more issues than most, but that seems like a long time...

4401 also had other work that needed to be done to it to bring it up to production standard.

And to be fair to the guys in La Pocatière, it was the first car that they saw. You can't help but expect the first car in a process to take longer as they develop the techniques needed to do the rest of them.

Dan

17 hours ago, smallspy said:

4401 also had other work that needed to be done to it to bring it up to production standard.

And to be fair to the guys in La Pocatière, it was the first car that they saw. You can't help but expect the first car in a process to take longer as they develop the techniques needed to do the rest of them.

Dan

Understood. Just wondering how long before that length of time becomes excessive. I didn't realize La P was doing anything to make 4401 production spec other than welding though?

6 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Just wondering how long before that length of time becomes excessive.

Fair enough. In that case, I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately.

6 hours ago, dowlingm said:

I didn't realize La P was doing anything to make 4401 production spec other than welding though?

Admittedly, that is a bit of an assumption made on my part, but I think that it's a pretty valid one. I really can't see them shipping 4401 from La Poc anywhere else to finish the upgrading process. They're going to have the car completely apart anyways, so Bombardier might as well ship them the components and tell them "install these while you're at it."

Dan

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

Admittedly, that is a bit of an assumption made on my part, but I think that it's a pretty valid one. I really can't see them shipping 4401 from La Poc anywhere else to finish the upgrading process. They're going to have the car completely apart anyways, so Bombardier might as well ship them the components and tell them "install these while you're at it."

Don't they pretty well have to completely replace the floor of the second module? The accessible (second) door has a slope in the floor in the production vehicles, and is lower where the ramp projects from the car. I thought the floor in that area of the car required significant modification from the pilot vehicles.

It's only been gone 3 months. The similar modifications (but presumably not the welding) on 4402 took almost 1.5 years between when it left Toronto in mid-June 2015 to when it returned in late-November 2016. 4400 was a little faster for modifications, and was gone about a year ... but that included a stop in Ottawa at the NRC for cold weather testing.

Perhaps 4400's current trip to La Pocatière would be a better indication of how long this will take, than 4401.

Gosh, 4400 is a well-travelled car! It will have been transported significant distances by rail 6 times by the time it returns to Toronto. (Thunder Bay-Toronto-Ottawa-Thunder Bay-Toronto-La Poc-Toronto). That must be approaching a record for a Toronto streetcar that hasn't been retired yet!

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Don't they pretty well have to completely replace the floor of the second module? The accessible (second) door has a slope in the floor in the production vehicles, and is lower where the ramp projects from the car. I thought the floor in that area of the car required significant modification from the pilot vehicles.

They do have to do some surgery to the car, but seeing as how they need to access the structure to reweld everything I don't think that's a particularly onerous process at this point.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

It's only been gone 3 months. The similar modifications (but presumably not the welding) on 4402 took almost 1.5 years between when it left Toronto in mid-June 2015 to when it returned in late-November 2016. 4400 was a little faster for modifications, and was gone about a year ... but that included a stop in Ottawa at the NRC for cold weather testing.

This is true, but also keep in mind that both of those other cars were having their modifications done in parallel with the production of new cars. They would have had to find time/space/materials with which to do it. 4401 will be done on its own and ahead of the work done to the rest of the cars, and so while it may take longer than the rest, it should still be quicker than the other two - assuming, again, that they are doing everything while it's at La Poc.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Perhaps 4400's current trip to La Pocatière would be a better indication of how long this will take, than 4401.

Agreed. And even then, it won't be until the third or fourth car where we will get a true indication about how long everything will take.

Dan

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 9:20 AM, smallspy said:

Dan

We're all hoping it doesn't take La Pocatiere 3.5 years to "develop the techniques" which is how long it took Sahagun.