Streetcar News

CLRV4037

10 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

It's 10:30pm and the diversion is still ongoing. This would put it up at near 7 hours and counting by my count. I wonder what the hold up with moving it out of the way is.

(I'm hoping it's gone by morning rush hour)

Is (was?) it still there?. I might have missed damage to the overhead which is why the diversion hasn't ended. It's also possible that the TTC has also notices a pattern of the pans going up when they shouldn't be and is giving 4447 a thorough investigation before they move it.

11 hours ago, skyfirenet said:

Is (was?) it still there?. I might have missed damage to the overhead which is why the diversion hasn't ended. It's also possible that the TTC has also notices a pattern of the pans going up when they shouldn't be and is giving 4447 a thorough investigation before they move it.

At first it was only eastbound ones diverting but some time during the evening they started routing westbound ones around the area too. The diversion ended a few minutes after midnight. 501 streetcars were diverting around the area for around 8.5 hours which seems like a very long time for what was shown in the pictures.

3 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Apparently, it was legitimately driver error. Driver was looking to throw blame despite being at fault. 

The car had been in service on 510 Spadina earlier in the day, but presumably it had encountered an issue and was running in to Leslie when this incident happened at Queen & Parliament. So was this a case of the driver forgetting to lower the pantograph when it left Spadina or did the pantograph simply pop up unexpectedly at Queen & Parliament and snagged the overhead?

30 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

The car had been in service on 510 Spadina earlier in the day, but presumably it had encountered an issue and was running in to Leslie when this incident happened at Queen & Parliament. So was this a case of the driver forgetting to lower the pantograph when it left Spadina or did the pantograph simply pop up unexpectedly at Queen & Parliament and snagged the overhead?

Having operated the new cars, there is no was to have a pole and panto in operation together. You can only have one up over the other. Also, there is no way a pantograph can raise on its own while a pole is in use. 

3 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Having operated the new cars, there is no was to have a pole and panto in operation together. You can only have one up over the other. Also, there is no way a pantograph can raise on its own while a pole is in use. 

Thanks! So then the only explanation is that the operator forgot to lower the pantograph when it left Spadina and it remained raised as the car was running back to Leslie, until it finally got caught in the overhead at Queen & Parliament. There are prominent signs on Queen St (both east and west of Spadina) with "no pantograph use beyond this point", but it looks like they weren't enough to stop this incident from happening.

22 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

Thanks! So then the only explanation is that the operator forgot to lower the pantograph when it left Spadina and it remained raised as the car was running back to Leslie, until it finally got caught in the overhead at Queen & Parliament. There are prominent signs on Queen St (both east and west of Spadina) with "no pantograph use beyond this point", but it looks like they weren't enough to stop this incident from happening.

People forget all the time. It's not like there's a warning that the panto is raised.

I really don't see TTC maintaining the pole on every cars after the entire system is converted. Even if it's a deign flaw, it's not a long term issue unlike badly welded frames.

• 2 weeks later...

TTC invites you on a sentimental streetcar journey

September 20, 2018

This Sunday, the TTC recognizes the 80th anniversary of the PCC streetcar in Toronto by taking one of its two vintage Red Rocket streetcars out for a ceremonial ride downtown.

PCC streetcars first entered service in the city on September 23, 1938. The PCC fleet, more than 740 strong at its peak, was one of the largest in North America and did a venerable job of serving millions of daily transit riders over generations.

The last PCC cars were retired from TTC service in 1995.

Rides on the vintage streetcar will be free of charge on Sunday.

PCC stands for Presidents' Conference Committee.

What: Vintage PCC #4549 will be taking a ceremonial journey downtown Toronto, fare-free.
Where: Serving stops along Queen Street, between Bathurst Street and Church Street.
When: Sunday, September 23, 2018 from approximately 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Why: The TTC is providing an opportunity for the public to take a trip back in time, take photos and celebrate 80 years since the first PCC streetcar entered in service in Toronto.

• Like 3

4500 is westbound on King St W at John St doing its first test run.

Now lets get it up on Queen On Sunday when the PCC is out. Saw no Flexity on Queen, but saw 4002 & 4

4473 needs a visit to the body shop based on the posting above sine I wasn't sure if it was that car. Saw an eastbound King car out of service at Spadina and no thoughts of taking a photos since I have a number of them for this car. As It cross Spadina, had to do a quick shot as it hit something and missing parts. Got one shot as a cycles kill the other shot
[IMG]

Flexity #4481, one of the cars damaged in the flood on August 7, is back in service for the first time today, after a 50-day absence.

This leaves only 4419, 4471 & 4478 sidelined for now as a result of that event (with the latter two not even shipped to NY yet).

Flexity #4473, damaged in a minor collision on Queens Quay this past Saturday, Sep 22 is back in service today, as well.

• Like 2

So part of the newly installed overhead panto rail in St Clair West collapsed just now, striking and entering 4486 in the front bulkhead (probably not severe damage to the car). The collapse is at the entry to the EB throughfare track (former spare track). Supposedly this isn't the first time one of the rails have fallen on a car - has also happened elsewhere too like the approach to the WB exit portal.

Delay notice is service suspended Oakwood to SCW with shuttles running, which doesn't make sense at all, as where will cars from St.Clair Stn turn back to it with SCW blocked up...? 

If the mainline overhead is still active, a simple station bypass can be done.

EDIT: New delay notice broadcast says they're bypassing.

An overhead crew was at St Clair West this afternoon, walking cars through the frog into the EB track/WB platform. The EB track is still prone to dewiring and when it does, the worker will pull the pole and rewire it when the car stops. The WB platform's panto rails are all tied up with bungees to maybe the mounting brackets; may be in response to yesterday's incident.

8 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

An overhead crew was at St Clair West this afternoon, walking cars through the frog into the EB track/WB platform. The EB track is still prone to dewiring and when it does, the worker will pull the pole and rewire it when the car stops. The WB platform's panto rails are all tied up with bungees to maybe the mounting brackets; may be in response to yesterday's incident.

I was there earlier and saw this issue with the frog happening. Crews were there when I got there and left sometime later as another crew was coming to replace them. Tonight and all weekend, the existing system will be torn down. Some of the new system is up and you can see both systems at the portal entrace. It been held up by bungees and anchors have been change for the bracketssince they were coming out. A lot of changes have been made by the engineers, as some of the design fail or items for the system.

Once pans start to be use, there will never be a pole car east of Bathurst St, since the OS will be lower and the box rail holding the wire has no room for the wheel of the pole. First time seeing this system. Its a (3x2)? metal rail held up by brackets, with the wire is on the bottom of this rail. 

4483 was damage yesterday when the new system punch a hole in the cab front and the top, on the right hand side. It was caused by the car in front of it 4466?. Saw the photo of it. Will post some photos this weekend if I get time, but not of the damage car since its not mine in the first place.

12 hours ago, drum118 said:

First time seeing this system. Its a (3x2)? metal rail held up by brackets, with the wire is on the bottom of this rail. 

If it's anything like Calgary's conductor rails there is no wire. The pan contacts the energized conductor rail and that's all there is to it. 

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, nfitz said:

How is 4448, which was derailed in a September 19 Queens Quay collision doing?

I am being told that it is currently on hold, waiting for a joint replacement part that is not in stock.

12 hours ago, drum118 said:

4483 was damage yesterday when the new system punch a hole in the cab front and the top, on the right hand side. It was caused by the car in front of it 4466?. Saw the photo of it. Will post some photos this weekend if I get time, but not of the damage car since its not mine in the first place.

The car that was damaged was actually 4486.

7 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

If it's anything like Calgary's conductor rails there is no wire. The pan contacts the energized conductor rail and that's all there is to it. 

Was told there is a wire in the grove section at the bottom by TTC crews and not my field of knowledge.

13 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

He doesn't quite read as I had already posted about that incident when it happened and reported the car number involved... two posts above his. And had previously posted photos of the panto conductor rails on the previous page. 

I did read above before seeing it first hand and one reason I went to the loop since it wasn't on my trip list for the day. I was posting what I saw first hand and was told, as well getting cars number mix up for some reason. I see no photos as noted.

28 minutes ago, drum118 said:

I did read above before seeing it first hand and one reason I went to the loop since it wasn't on my trip list for the day. I was posting what I saw first hand and was told, as well getting cars number mix up for some reason. I see no photos as noted.

On 9/3/2018 at 1:27 AM, 63 Ossington said:

Spent a few mins to check out the new overhead throughout St Clair West yesterday (Saturday) - majority of the station loop appears complete; most work needed is the EB 512 platform area. The traction contact bars are suspended lower than the existing trolley overhead (obviously for clearance) so I assume for the time being that will be kept to allow compatibility for C's. However they can also immediately start dismantling it upon activation of the contact bars so we'll see which route they take.

IMG_0250[1].JPG

IMG_0252[1].JPG

IMG_0253[1].JPG

IMG_0254[1].JPG

IMG_0255[1].JPG

IMG_0256[1].JPG

IMG_0257[1].JPG

IMG_0258[1].JPG

IMG_0259[1].JPG