Streetcar News

CLRV4037

5 hours ago, ttc rider said:

4408 was damaged in a collision. Bombardier is recalling the first 67 cars in order to fix a manufacturing defect. Unless car 4408 was so severely damaged that it cannot be repaired by the TTC in Toronto (which I doubt is the case), I see no reason why Bombardier would be responsible for performing  an unscheduled repair as a result of an accident that had nothing to do with the welding defect in the first place.

18 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

Or the TTC would complete the repairs and then send it to Bombardier.

It appears as though the repairs are complete. Spotted it at the Leslie Barns today and it looks like nothing happened to it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, TTCOpITM said:

It appears as though the repairs are complete. Spotted it at the Leslie Barns today and it looks like nothing happened to it.

Thanks for the info! Even though two more weeks have passed since your post, it was only today that car 4408 returned to service, after a record 32-day absence.

This is the longest continuous downtime for any of the Flexity cars so far, surpassing the previous record of 29 days out of service for car 4413 after a collision more than two years ago, on July 26, 2016.

15 minutes ago, Transit_Hub said:

Interested to know also what's gonna happen also. another Flexity appears to be stuck in the water behind 4471. According to Sammdot it's 4478, it's not that deep in the water from the images i'm seeing so it should be easier to repair or even fine.

Image from the aftermath.

Most of the critical equipment is on the roof so they should be fine for the most part. Just gotta take them into Leslie and tear them apart to repair the water damage. They'll have to drop the bogies too to make sure everything dries out properly. 

6 minutes ago, jmenard-cc said:

Most of the critical equipment is on the roof so they should be fine for the most part. Just gotta take them into Leslie and tear them apart to repair the water damage. They'll have to drop the bogies too to make sure everything dries out properly. 

Good thing LF cars have equipment on top.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Transit_Hub said:

Interested to know also what's gonna happen also. another Flexity appears to be stuck in the water behind 4471. According to Sammdot it's 4478, it's not that deep in the water from the images i'm seeing so it should be easier to repair or even fine.

Image from the aftermath.

It seems like 4478 got a good dip too.

10 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Poor 4471. Looks like a major repair bill if it's not a write off. They usually retire flooded automobiles. Does that apply for streetcars too?

How does it compare to the GO train that got caught in the Don River Valley back in 2013?

20 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

How does it compare to the GO train that got caught in the Don River Valley back in 2013?

Well a push-pull train is different from a self-propelled unit. The loco might need heavy equipment repair but the passenger carriages just need to be dried out.

2 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Well a push-pull train is different from a self-propelled unit. The loco might need heavy equipment repair but the passenger carriages just need to be dried out.

All the wiring on both streetcars are probably toasted. They'll have to not only rip out all the seats, the wall and the floor, they'll likely have to replace all the electronics on the cab section. Both cars are a health hazard too since the water came from a backed up storm sewer. Yup, it's a stinky mess. For 4471, probably easier to order a new car and salvage the equipment from the roof assuming they weren't damage.

4471 was pretty submerged to the top

3 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Except that the part about the coaches is not true in the least. And you should really stop trying to explain things if you don't know.

The passenger cars needed to be torn apart back to their structure, and all panels that were immersed in water needed to be at the very least cleaned. Upholstery,  carpets and flooring needed to be replaced. Trucks needed to be inspected and overhauled. Brake cylinders and valves needed to be replaced.

The loco needed the trucks and some of the underbody equipment overhauled or replaced - but all of those items are easily accessible and designed for maintenance. The loco was the first vehicle back into service from that train that got soaked.

In the case of the streetcars, very little mechanical or electrical would have been affected by flooding as all of the really delicate stuff is mounted in the roof. What is going to cause the greatest amount of downtime is replacing the interior.

Dan

• Thanks 6

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

In the case of the streetcars, very little mechanical or electrical would have been affected by flooding as all of the really delicate stuff is mounted in the roof. What is going to cause the greatest amount of downtime is replacing the interior.

Dan

Based on the pictures I have seen, I still suspect there was significant damage to the cab electronics and the below-the-floor electronics, including the traction motors. Does anyone know if the cars were operable after this incident or did they end up being towed to Leslie?

2 hours ago, ttc rider said:

Based on the pictures I have seen, I still suspect there was significant damage to the cab electronics and the below-the-floor electronics, including the traction motors. Does anyone know if the cars were operable after this incident or did they end up being towed to Leslie?

There may have been some damage to the cab equipment, but as I wrote, the really delicate - and therefore expensive - stuff is up on the roof. The traction motors and gearboxes are certainly done for however.

I'm not sure why they may have, but they did power up 4471 after towing it out of the underpass. They took the pole down before towing it back to Leslie.

Dan

4 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

You guys seriously thought it was only rainwater those people were happily splashing through?

most of the mains downtown are “common” -insofar as there are two troughs inside one common pipe, one for storm water, the other sanitary. As long as the water volumes are within max spec, they stay separate, and reach their respective destinations without coming into contact with each other.

When a storm of any magnitude dumps on the downtown core, the storm trough overflows and mixes into the sanitary.... the one last night completely overwhelmed the system and sent the shit bouillabaisse up top to “visit” in the lower catch basins. Treatment plant couldn't handle the volume last night either, despite taking great lengths to construct a truly massive underground holding tank on the lakeshore, near the exhibition grounds over 20 years ago. Pic and some background here:https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/gta/2016/12/29/how-torontos-sewage-system-keeps-us-safe-from-fatbergs-to-preventing-floods.html

It all has to get shunted straight into the lake raw....there’s no alternative.

TTC service returns to Broadview Ave. this weekend

August 9, 2018

The TTC's 504 King, 505 Dundas and 506 Carlton service will return to regular routing through the Broadview Ave./Gerrard St. intersection this Sun., Aug. 12, at 7 a.m.

Temporary diversions had been in place since July while the TTC and City of Toronto replaced aging streetcar tracks. With crews working around the clock work in favourable weather conditions and with no complications, the work was completed four weeks ahead of schedule.

All three routes will operate with replacement buses when the intersection opens. Streetcars return to 504 King and 506 Carlton on Sept. 2 once overhead power is restored and testing of the new tracks is completed. 505 Dundas will continue to operate using buses for several months due to fleet availability and to accommodate track work at Dundas St. W. and Lansdowne Ave.

Customers are advised to check ttc.ca and follow @TTCNotices on Twitter for service updates.

19 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

... most of the mains downtown are “common” -insofar as there are two troughs inside one common pipe, one for storm water, the other sanitary. As long as the water volumes are within max spec, they stay separate, and reach their respective destinations without coming into contact with each other.

Looking at Streetview, there seems to be two lines of manholes along that section of King from Strachan to at least Atlantic. One in the centre, and one close to the north curb. It may have been fully separated at somepoint in the past.

But even then, with that much flooding, there's likely cross-contamination, simply as both would be completely flooded simply through the manholes. And there's still likely non-separated connections in the area.

But that said, there's massive dilution. You are talking about a lot of rain water, and a little sewage. We are talking about percentages and possibilities here. It's not like it was an entire underpass of 100% raw sewage.

Those of you who have had children have probably encountered far worse in an unexpected incident.

Or anyone who swims in Lake Ontario.

Having spent much of my apprenticeship attending to malfunctioning highway coach holding tanks, I can assure you it would take more than that to scare me. Just maybe would avoid submerging my head if I could help it. Nobody likes pink eye.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Having spent much of my apprenticeship attending to malfunctioning highway coach holding tanks, I can assure you it would take more than that to scare me. Just maybe would avoid submerging my head if I could help it. Nobody likes pink eye.

Hopefully the Toronto Transit Commission Health and Safety Confined Space Entry Standard Operating Procedure (TTC H&S CSE SOP) requires that the water be emptied from the very large glass-windowed fishtanks before any entry is made! :)

Assuming that such SOPs exist.

#DeathByAcronym #CoverYourAss