Streetcar News

CLRV4037

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎07 at 10:15 PM, drum118 said:

More like 10-14 days, depending what is found during testing.

4424 arrived Sept 8 and in service Sept 22. 4423 arrived July 23 and in service Aug 9. 4422 Arrived June 17 and in service July 11. 4421 Arrived May 25 and in service June 10.

4425 being tow to the Barns tonight and this the long weekend, it may see some inspection over the weekend or wait tell Tuesday, but will not be in service next Sat for sure. 

If past experience is any indication, car 4414 took the shortest time to be commissioned (delivered on Dec. 14 and in service on Dec. 24, 2015, i.e. 10 days) and car 4416 took the longest (delivered on Dec. 31, 2015 and in service on Feb. 1, 2016, i.e. 32 days).

However, 14 - 16 days from delivery to commissioning is about the average we have seen so far.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎06 at 0:01 PM, LilRedDave said:

This was he only issue with the car since it was repaired, it was removed from service due to a window sealing issue. 

Thanks for confirming my observations and for the additional info.

9 hours ago, ttc rider said:

Car 4425 is entering service this morning on 510 Spadina.

At only 8 days between delivery and service-ready status, this was the shortest commissioning period for any of the new streetcars delivered so far.

It was still in the service bay before I left in the morning.

I saw it doing a short trip last night before it went back to the Barns.

Based on the tracker, the car didn't do the require burn in.

Its southbound at Bloor St

30 minutes ago, drum118 said:

It was still in the service bay before I left in the morning.

Car 4425 entered service later this morning as run 25, which is one of the two runs scheduled to enter service toward the end of the AM peak, around 9 AM.

30 minutes ago, drum118 said:

Based on the tracker, the car didn't do the require burn in.

Not sure what "tracker" you are talking about, but the fact that the GPS unit is not activated (and hence the vehicle is "untrackable" on nexbtus etc.) has nothing to do with the burn-in testing. Specifically for car 4425, its GPS unit has been activated 3 days ago, on Tuesday. That doesn't mean there was no burn-in testing done before that (and there probably was). Anyway, if the car has been accepted for service, it obviously has completed successfully all the required inspections and testing.

6 hours ago, soo8513 said:

So I'm guessing: TTC needs to get to 4435 in service to fully stock the 509 and 514 and then to move on to the 511 - Bathurst (if 511 is really the next route). I might choose 512 after all the recent/current infrastructure upgrades.

Does your car number include 4402 (which should be returning soon) and 4401 being modified?

7 hours ago, soo8513 said:

So I'm guessing: TTC needs to get to 4435 in service to fully stock the 509 and 514 and then to move on to the 511 - Bathurst (if 511 is really the next route). I might choose 512 after all the recent/current infrastructure upgrades.

So far, there were never more than 19 streetcars in service concurrently - and those days were few and far between. It's more like 17 or 18 on a regular day, or even down to 16 (!) on particularly bad days such as yesterday (Friday). This is out of a total active fleet of 23 cars (4400 & 4403-4424). I am not including 4425 yet, because it has been in service for 2 days only. So the TTC uses a spare ratio of about 20% or so.

Weekday requirements are 14 for Spadina, 7 for Harbourfront and I'm guessing 7 or 8 for Cherry once it is converted to LF operation on paper.

You can do the math as to what the total fleet should be to ensure only low-floor cars are deployed on these 3 routes. Of course, the math is a bit different, depending on whether you calculate the spare ratio against total active fleet or against scheduled service. But while the fleet is still small, the result is essentially the same.

For comic relief, the 509 has been fully operating with Flexities (on paper) since late March. In practice, there are usually 2-3 cars assigned to it. A maximum of four was hit only once so far, on Thanksgiving day. 

45 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

So far, there were never more than 19 streetcars in service concurrently - and those days were few and far between. It's more like 17 or 18 on a regular day, or even down to 16 (!) on particularly bad days such as yesterday (Friday). This is out of a total active fleet of 23 cars (4400 & 4403-4424). I am not including 4425 yet, because it has been in service for 2 days only. So the TTC uses a spare ratio of about 20% or so.

Weekday requirements are 14 for Spadina, 7 for Harbourfront and I'm guessing 7 or 8 for Cherry once it is converted to LF operation on paper.

You can do the math as to what the total fleet should be to ensure only low-floor cars are deployed on these 3 routes. Of course, the math is a bit different, depending on whether you calculate the spare ratio against total active fleet or against scheduled service. But while the fleet is still small, the result is essentially the same.

For comic relief, the 509 has been fully operating with Flexities (on paper) since late March. In practice, there are usually 2-3 cars assigned to it. A maximum of four was hit only once so far, on Thanksgiving day. 

No, the plan is for 10 cars for 514 during rush. 514 is running with the new streetcar schedule except for the midday addition added recently. The line is designed to relief King for future demand, not cramp everyone in less cars. This means a total of 31 is needed before Bathurst gets any. With the revised schedule, TTC stated the 511 will get them in Winter 2017.

The real question is why does the 509 need 7 new cars right now. The demand is not there and hence they don't assign more than 3 new cars to that route. I don't mind if they leave the 509 with 3 or 4 new cars and just move on to the 511 and convert the 509 closer to 2019.

Spadina is nothing but trouble. Traditional route management simply doesn't work on this route. More time has been added and yet they end up with a wide gap follow by a parade of streetcars. This has not changed with more time added to the route in the past week. Maybe Spadina really needs relief cars waiting at loops and circling around when not needed.

18 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

No, the plan is for 10 cars for 514 during rush. 514 is running with the new streetcar schedule except for the midday addition added recently. The line is designed to relief King for future demand, not cramp everyone in less cars. This means a total of 31 is needed before Bathurst gets any.

Are you sure about that?

According to Steve Munro's summary of service changes for the September 2016 board period - which is based on the internal memo issues by Service Planning - the service increase on 514 Cherry is "temporary, pending conversion to Flexity operation in mid-2017":  https://stevemunro.ca/2016/08/11/ttc-service-changes-effective-sunday-september-4-2016/#more-16274

Moreover, the service summary shows the 514 operating a mix of LF cars and CLRV's (not just LF cars), just like it did for 510 and 509 before they were formally converted to all-Flexity operation.

So I doubt the current schedule has been written assuming full Flexity service on the route.

18 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The real question is why does the 509 need 7 new cars right now. The demand is not there and hence they don't assign more than 3 new cars to that route. I don't mind if they leave the 509 with 3 or 4 new cars and just move on to the 511 and convert the 509 closer to 2019.

Tell that to the people living west of Spadina and better yet, to those west of Bathurst who are unable to board a car to Union in the morning (and vice-versa from Union to points west of Spadina in the afternoon). The demand may not be spectacular at off-peak times, but the 509 absolutely needs more capacity during peak periods to meet current ridership, let alone the latent demand that may exist if there was more room on the streetcars.

13 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

Are you sure about that?

According to Steve Munro's summary of service changes for the September 2016 board period - which is based on the internal memo issues by Service Planning - the service increase on 514 Cherry is "temporary, pending conversion to Flexity operation in mid-2017":  https://stevemunro.ca/2016/08/11/ttc-service-changes-effective-sunday-september-4-2016/#more-16274

Moreover, the service summary shows the 514 operating a mix of LF cars and CLRV's (not just LF cars), just like it did for 510 and 509 before they were formally converted to all-Flexity operation.

Yes I'm pretty sure. Like I said above, the added service during midday will be reversed with new cars but during the peak hours, 10 cars will remain. Brad Ross mention is at the beginning of this service.

The blog clearly says this:

514 Cherry service will be improved during the midday from 15′ to 10′ by the addition of three cars. This change does not address problems with inadequate running time on the route. The additional service is considered as “temporary” pending conversion of the line to Flexity operation in mid 2017.

Only midday received temporary additional service in the September board and that's the only additional service to be reversed. If they remove cars from the 514 during peak hours, they'll move the headway into the 12-15 min which is definitely not planned.

Here's the report again mentioning they wanted additional capacity along King: https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2016/March_23/Reports/Improved_Transit_Service_in_EastCentral_Downtown_514_Cherry_.pdf

Edit: Remember that Spadina only needs 13 in AM rush while 10 is needed for 514. In PM rush, 14 is needed for Spadina and 9 is needed for 514.

11 hours ago, ttcbusdude said:

Here is 4400. It is in regular service.

If the original 4400 is retired, please clarify this.

What leads you to believe that the original 4400 is retired?

4400 has been in regular service for some time, IIRC it was upgraded at Bombardier (in the same style as 4401 and 4402) back in 2014.

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

What leads you to believe that the original 4400 is retired?

4400 has been in regular service for some time, IIRC it was upgraded at Bombardier (in the same style as 4401 and 4402) back in 2014.

Okay, it is being upgraded.

Earlier in the post, someone mentioned that 4400 the original one is retired.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

The original 4400 has been retired for years. Here's it's close cousin 4403, also long retired.

ttc4403.jpg

That's cute. For comic relief, the ORIGINAL 4402, pictured below (photo by Marty Bernard), is also retired.

Does anyone when or if its Flexity namesake is ever coming back from Thunder Bay? It was sent up there in June of last year.

22393817320_1e3d819ada_h.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/17/2016 at 5:59 PM, ttc rider said:

That's cute. For comic relief, the ORIGINAL 4402, pictured below (photo by Marty Bernard), is also retired.

Does anyone when or if its Flexity namesake is ever coming back from Thunder Bay? It was sent up there in June of last year.

22393817320_1e3d819ada_h.jpg

Is this picture that old that the center medium line is still white?

4 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Amateurs on message boards show LFLRVs on railcars ready to ship within a day or two of it happening. Corporate social media shows an LFLRV from 2-3 weeks ago: 

This picture was taken on the morning of Friday the 14th inside Leslie Barns following the FAC of 4425. It includes both BT and TTC personal and was part of a Happy Birthday note/present to Andy B for completed FAC in 8 days. So really just 5 days ago....

• Like 5