Streetcar News

CLRV4037

18 hours ago, TransitfanJas0n said:

Looks like we're finally getting into the 442Xs... About time really.

Then again, we really should've been into the late 447Xs by now...

Next time, please thank LilRedDave for the info. I for one certainly appreciate the info of when they are coming.

Yes the cars are late. This has been discussed at length.  Knock off the attitude towards members who are giving us valid information. Thanks.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CLRV4037 said:

Next time, please thank LilRedDave for the info. I for one certainly appreciate the info of when they are coming.

Yes the cars are late. This has been discussed at length.  Knock off the attitude towards members who are giving us valid information. Thanks.

Very sorry, I didn't mean to give any attitude to Dave by any means. The post has been deleted :)

• Like 1

At the TTS meeting today, I overheard someone mention a political cartoon where #4603 {last car in the order; assuming they don't skip 4500 and 4549} saying to #4400 "Sorry I missed your retirement party".

Does anyone have a link to it?

Looks like all 15 cars in service today on 510 are Flexities - that's the first time I've noticed that on a weekday. On the other hand, there only seems to have been 1 in service on 509 all week - when it used to be 2.  So 16 in service - which I have seen before.

8 hours ago, nfitz said:

Looks like all 15 cars in service today on 510 are Flexities - that's the first time I've noticed that on a weekday. On the other hand, there only seems to have been 1 in service on 509 all week - when it used to be 2.  So 16 in service - which I have seen before.

Tuesday, May 10 was actually the first time that happened and today is the second time. However, just like on May 10, the miracle did not last very long, as 4410 and 4417 had both been changed-off with one ALRV and one CLRV by noon today. 

The amusing thing about 509 is that it has already been  officially converted to Flexity operation (with accompanying service cuts during peak periods) in late March, even though I have never seen more than two Flexities at a time on that route.

It will be interesting to see how the schedule for the new 514 service that begins next board period was written. If all runs will be assigned to Flexity operation from the get-go, I suspect it will take until early to mid 2017 to actually operate all service with Flexities on 510/509/514 and displace all the C's and A's from these routes.

5 hours ago, ttc rider said:

Tuesday, May 10 was actually the first time that happened and today is the second time. However, just like on May 10, the miracle did not last very long, as 4410 and 4417 had both been changed-off with one ALRV and one CLRV by noon today. 

The amusing thing about 509 is that it has already been  officially converted to Flexity operation (with accompanying service cuts during peak periods) in late March, even though I have never seen more than two Flexities at a time on that route.

It will be interesting to see how the schedule for the new 514 service that begins next board period was written. If all runs will be assigned to Flexity operation from the get-go, I suspect it will take until early to mid 2017 to actually operate all service with Flexities on 510/509/514 and displace all the C's and A's from these routes.

Hopefully we'll see 2 flexity's on the 514. They did want that route to improve accessibility. That said, the 514 only needs 5 cars during MF midday and most offpeak time except Saturday where 7 is needed. I don't see why the TTC can supply 5 new streetcars for the 514. The 509 doesn't need the capacity of all new cars. It has been converted probably cause of scheduling simplicity oppose to an actual need for new cars. The new cars do take more power and if people aren't riding it, they can save some money.

Edit: Apparently all 514's are schedule to operate from Russell instead of Leslie. 509 and 510 are scheduled from Leslie. Now I have my doubts.

11 hours ago, ttc rider said:

Converted internally ... but they've only ever shown 510 as accessible in the public-facing website.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nfitz said:

Converted internally ... but they've only ever shown 510 as accessible in the public-facing website.

I know...and the schedule changes that were made on 509 for the March board were not advertised in the usual section on the website either. One would have to dig into the service summary - which does show the route as being fully converted to LF operation - or rely on non-official sources, such as Steve Munro's website, to figure out what was going on.

Also while on the subject of the new cars: does anyone know what is going on with cars #4413 and #4417? The former has not been in revenue service at all since the mishap on Queen's Quay on April 30 - even though the damage, at least externally, appeared to be minor - and the latter only seems to be managing a few hours in service at a time on most days before being changed-off.

23 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Edit: Apparently all 514's are schedule to operate from Russell instead of Leslie. 509 and 510 are scheduled from Leslie. Now I have my doubts.

Does it make any difference? isn't Leslie still part of Russell division for scheduling purposes? (that's what the service summary implies...)

1 minute ago, ttc rider said:

I know...and the schedule changes that were made on 509 for the March board were not advertised year in the usual section on the website either. One would have to dig into the service summary or rely on non-official sources, such as Steve Munro's website, to figure out what was going on.

Also while on the subject of the new cars: does anyone know what is going on with cars #4413 and #4417? The former has not been in revenue service at all since the mishap on Queen's Quay on April 30 - even though the damage appeared to be minor - and the latter only seems to be managing a few hours in service at a time on most days before being changed-off.

I can say for sure that they've been using 4413 for training lately. Every time I see it, there's a training class in it. It seems as though it has been repaired.

1 hour ago, ttc rider said:

Does it make any difference? isn't Leslie still part of Russell division for scheduling purposes? (that's what the service summary implies...)

That's a question for the schedule writer. They do operate from the same division doesn't mean they were scheduled to be dispatched from the same place. There might some some time differences and additional travel time for the ops to get there that has to be taken in account for their payrolls. Scheduled from Russell really lowers the chance of any new cars.

There were cars stored at the EX before Leslie opened. There were consider Roncy runs (stated in service summaries) but they weren't dispatched from Roncy Carhouse. That made a big difference internally.

Anyone here know where ops have to check in for Leslie Barns?

17 hours ago, TTCOpITM said:

I can say for sure that they've been using 4413 for training lately. Every time I see it, there's a training class in it. It seems as though it has been repaired.

4413 was back in service today on 510 - first time I've seen it out in the 19 days since the accident.  Perhaps there was something they needed to do that it was good enough for training, but not for service. Door issue?

Here's some news regarding the streetcar production issues:

Bombardier shifting streetcar production to catch up on TTC deliveries

Ross Marowits, The Canadian Press 
Published Friday, May 20, 2016 3:45PM EDT 
MONTREAL -- Bombardier is hoping to get its Toronto streetcar contract back on track and prevent delays at two other Ontario transit projects by shifting production among four sites in Ontario, Quebec and Mexico.
The company will relieve pressure in Thunder Bay, Ont., by shifting light rail projects for Metrolinx in Greater Toronto and the Kitchener-Waterloo region to its facility in Kingston, Ont.
Thunder Bay also makes bi-level cars for GO Transit and is completing a Toronto subway contract.
The plant in La Pocatiere, Que., will lend a hand by taking on work transferred from an operation in Mexico where there have been quality issues. A second production line for the TTC streetcars will be added at a location to be identified at the end of May.
"We're taking bold and decisive action," spokesman Marc-Andre Lefebvre said in an interview Friday.
"We're doing everything necessary to hasten the deliveries and make sure we honour our commitments."
The changes will result in the layoff of 60 workers in Thunder Bay, unless it becomes the home of the second streetcar line. However, it will preserve 60 jobs in Kingston once production of metro cars destined for Kuala Lumpur ends later this year. Up to 50 workers will be hired in La Pocatiere, which is making Montreal subway cars.
The new president of the division overseeing transport in the Americas disclosed the revised schedule during a meeting with TTC officials on Wednesday. Bombardier said it will deliver 16 more vehicles this year, raising the total number of streetcar deliveries to 31.
The TTC has said 73 streetcars had been slated to be delivered by the end of 2016 according to the original schedule.
Meanwhile, Bombardier plans to deliver an additional 40 streetcars in 2017, 76 in 2018 and 57 in 2019 to fulfil the commitment for 204 streetcars as part of the $1.2-billion contract.
Although pilot light rail vehicles have faced a few months of delays, the changes will ensure the production vehicles for Metrolinx and Kitchener-Waterloo remain on schedule, said Lefebvre.
Bombardier (TSX:BBD.B) is scheduled to deliver 182 light rail vehicles to Metrolinx starting in 2018 under a $770 million contract announced in 2010. Five production vehicles for the $66-million Kitchener-Waterloo project are being built in Thunder Bay, while Kingston will make the remaining nine.
Lefebvre said Bombardier is tackling problems in Mexico and is deploying 26 experts from around the world to address welding problems.
Bombardier CEO Alain Bellemare said a couple of weeks ago that the company would do whatever is needed to deliver the streetcars following "disappointing" delays that prompted scathing criticism from the Toronto Transit Commission.
The country's largest transit authority declined to comment on Bombardier's production changes but said it hopes they will ensure timely deliveries.
"We just want the streetcars," said spokesman Kadeem Griffiths.

Back to the old stomping grounds for building streetcars and where the UTDC Mk1s destined for the 3 Scarborough RT.

7 hours ago, 38 Highland Creek said:

Back to the old stomping grounds for building streetcars and where the UTDC Mk1s destined for the 3 Scarborough RT.

With the fate of the elevated portion of the RT undecided, one wonders if it may be involved with building vehicles for the RT once again.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2016 at 10:37 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

That's a question for the schedule writer. They do operate from the same division doesn't mean they were scheduled to be dispatched from the same place. There might some some time differences and additional travel time for the ops to get there that has to be taken in account for their payrolls. Scheduled from Russell really lowers the chance of any new cars.

If you look at service summaries and even the run guides, Leslie carhouse is technically part of Russell division; Flexity cars are listed as being dispatched from LE - LESLIE CH rather than RU - RUSSELL CH. All runs of the 509 and 510 are listed as Leslie, as expected, but all runs of the 514 are listed as Russell.

I'd go so far as to say the 514 won't be running Flexity most of the time.

EDIT: That's strange. Whoever prepared the run guide for the 514 misspelled Distillery half the time. :lol:

# -- Do not service Distellery Loop. From Broadview Avenue, operate westbound on King St..@ -- Do not service Distillery Loop. Continue eastbound on King Street to Broadview Avenue.

11 hours ago, sammi said:

If you look at service summaries and even the run guides, Leslie carhouse is technically part of Russell division; Flexity cars are listed as being dispatched from LE - LESLIE CH rather than RU - RUSSELL CH. All runs of the 509 and 510 are listed as Leslie, as expected, but all runs of the 514 are listed as Russell.

I'd go so far as to say the 514 won't be running Flexity most of the time.

EDIT: That's strange. Whoever prepared the run guide for the 514 misspelled Distillery half the time. :lol:

# -- Do not service Distellery Loop. From Broadview Avenue, operate westbound on King St..@ -- Do not service Distillery Loop. Continue eastbound on King Street to Broadview Avenue.

TTC never has a spell checker. I don't know why they insist on making the run guides looking like it was done by a typewriter in year 2016.

I highly doubt it will get any Flexity. It loos like the first two runs enters service WB right from Broadview/Queen while the later ones dip into Distillery Loop first before continuing WB. I wonder if it makes sense that these later runs are signed NIS oppose to into service deadeading. I think it would be cool if they ran the 304 with 514's Flexity's so it can provide accessibility but that's highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I don't know why they insist on making the run guides looking like it was done by a typewriter in year 2016.

It's so I could easily write a program to read them and generate human-readable schedules out of them. :lol: Only took me some 240 lines of code.