Streetcar News

CLRV4037

A random and probably stupid question, but I was at the HCRR today and rode W-30 and 4600. Both of these cars swayed from side to side like crazy even at speeds that weren't really all that high, is that due to the condition of the track or the suspension, or both? I haven't actually ridden 4500 or 4549 so I can't really compare.

A random and probably stupid question, but I was at the HCRR today and rode W-30 and 4600. Both of these cars swayed from side to side like crazy even at speeds that weren't really all that high, is that due to the condition of the track or the suspension, or both? I haven't actually ridden 4500 or 4549 so I can't really compare.

Try riding 327 up there. It's the track. Just take a look down the track and you can see the wobble in the rails.

One of the volunteers explained the reason to me a few years ago when I last went. He said the rail was used donated short pieces, that if they had newer longer pieces to work with it would have made better quality track. They don't go much more than 20km/h up there. It's a nice place to visit. A very nice place to spend the day walking around.

I see, many thanks. I wish the track wasn't so, it opens the door for parents with small children to make "ooo" noises every time the car sways. <_<:lol: I'm going to have to try to attend a PCC charter now, just to compare the experience riding on rails that are half decent!

I agree, it's a good trip up there.

The LF car sign program will be updated hopefully in time for the January period with all of the night routes and other changes included. They are aware of the inconsistencies. Some design changes to the destination signs were made without consulting certain departments before the first car was delivered which is why we have a incomplete and inconsistent program now.

This is a reply to post #4569 above. For some reason the quoted text didn't appear.

Starting in January 1966, some of the all-electric cars were shuffled to Roncy and Russell while some of the air-electric cars were transferred to Lansdowne and Danforth for routes like Harbord, Carlton and King. A handful of MU cars moved for training but the bulk of them stayed put because they were needed for the Bloor/Danforth routes. As the subway opening approached they kept shuffling cars so that by the time the subway opened, most of the air cars to be retired (the A-1 and A-2 classes mostly) were already based at Danforth and Lansdowne. This resulted in some odd assignments like having air cars running as single car extras on Bloor at rush hour. Most of the A-3, A-4, A-5 and A-10 survived until the BD extensions opened, and a few of them carried on until 1971 while 4199 hung on until 1972. On Feb 26 and Feb 27/66 carhouse personnel and probably some operators on OT shuffled out the all-electric cars (mostly the MU cars) that had run into Lansdowne and Danforth on the night of Feb 25 for the air-electric cars that ran into Russell and Roncy to get everything mostly in the right place. A few air-electrics due to be retired managed to miss the shuffle for a few days until everything got moved around. Service was drastically cut on some routes like King when the subway opened, but ridership continued to be high, so a lot of the A-3 and A-10 cars that were supposed to be retired when the subway opened were brought back into service because they were still needed as cars were added back to those routes. Hope this helps!

Hi T6A5: I was there Saturday and enjoyed riding those two PCC's. Brought back a lot of memories particularly W30 as I lived at Jane Loop and went across the city to Carlaw Avenue. Almost weep when I see the condition of 4684 and 4426 decaying in the bush!

Almost weep when I see the condition of 4684 and 4426 decaying in the bush!

I agree, it's a crying shame to see what's become of those cars :( I would love to see them run again and fill in what the operational collection lacks in terms of PCC styles (A6/7 and A12/14 styles).

I agree, it's a crying shame to see what's become of those cars :( I would love to see them run again and fill in what the operational collection lacks in terms of PCC styles (A6/7 and A12/14 styles).

Brookville is rebuilding El Paso's and they look in pretty rough shape :)

Can one of the admins correct the active roster for the CLRVs to show that 4107 is retired as of November 2015. The cause being a victim of 4101 taking an open switch. 4118 is still active. The car is still just a hold at Russell.

4234 can be confirmed retired. It was being loaded onto a flatbed at Hillcrest. This was hit by 4211 that rolled back into the car at Queen St E and River St back in September.

4414 arrived at Hillcrest too.

Can one of the admins correct the active roster for the CLRVs to show that 4107 is retired as of November 2015. The cause being a victim of 4101 taking an open switch. 4118 is still active. The car is still just a hold at Russell.

4234 can be confirmed retired. It was being loaded onto a flatbed at Hillcrest. This was hit by 4211 that rolled back into the car at Queen St E and River St back in September.

4414 arrived at Hillcrest too.

Nice to hear that 4414 has arrived at Hillcrest. Hopefully they will continue the progress of deliveries to try and meet their reduced delivery target.

Oh yeah, on more thing from the board meeting. (It's great that they have them on YouTube now).

4414 should enter service on Dec 23 if nothing goes wrong with its 600km. It started it's 600km yesterday.

4415 possibly Dec 30 but TTC seems less optimistic on this car. They might have rushed it.

Maybe TTC really wants 14 working cars for Spadina by next board.

Reply to post #4597, for some reason my browser won't show the quoted text.

The door side mirrors were installed during the Heavy Rebuild Program of 1972-75. Cars that weren't rebuilt, such as all the second hand cars, had the mirrors added around that time as well. Before that there were no exterior mirrors. The closed side mirrors were only installed on the A-15 Major Rebuild cars of 1988-1992. I think 4600 and 4601 were retrofitted with these after they were rebuilt.