Streetcar News

CLRV4037

I'm more curious as to whether they have figured out how to handle fare enforcement for non Presto riders paying elsewhere on the TTC since you don't need a transfer to board the 510 at Spadina station.

Or Union.

Presumably there'll be signage telling everyone who is boarding the streetcar that they must take a transfer. Throw in some prominent transfer vending machines on the platform ...

I'm more curious as to whether they have figured out how to handle fare enforcement for non Presto riders paying elsewhere on the TTC since you don't need a transfer to board the 510 at Spadina station.

Just like how do people transfer from the subway to buses that need a transfer such as Jane, Lansdowne and Dufferin Station. These riders all need to get a transfer at the beginning of their trips. This rule can just be extended to streetcar routes after a certain grace period.

Your statement makes no sense at all. So it can print out a time-based transfer expiring 1.5 or 2 hours afterwards when you pay your fare but not the current time? The current transfer machine can do it a decade ago. What are you thinking? All it has to do is stamp the time, streetcar route and direction. That would be control by the operator as they do with the current paper transfer. They just push a few buttons at the front instead of sliding that transfer thing. whatever you call that. Pretty straight forward if you ask me.

GTAmissions may be thinking that TTC transfers work like other transfers from GTA agencies which historically are based on the time the bus left the starting terminus. The TTC transfers are more detailed and theoretically should be adjusted throughout the progression of the route since it's a one-way transfer system.

Or Union.

Presumably there'll be signage telling everyone who is boarding the streetcar that they must take a transfer. Throw in some prominent transfer vending machines on the platform ...

Yes but the TTC seems to have a big problem when it comes to taking a system perspective when it comes to making changes which makes me wonder if someone at the TTC has considered the full implications of the change to POP on Spadina.

GTAmissions may be thinking that TTC transfers work like other transfers from GTA agencies which historically are based on the time the bus left the starting terminus. The TTC transfers are more detailed and theoretically should be adjusted throughout the progression of the route since it's a one-way transfer system.

Yes, that was my impression since it may be harder to enforce a "proof of payment" system on a "one-way transfer" system compared to a "time-based system." Still to be confirmed since I think everyone's assumption would be the "one-way transfer", but they may integrate onto a "time-based system.

Still remember my first time using a TTC transfer on the 501. Couldn't even use it properly since it only showed when it started until I found out it was for a "one-way trip" through "valid transfer points" without leaving the intersection.

Overhead seems do have degraded in St.Clair West Station. Lots of rough dragging (rocky sliding and banging noises, more intense than normal) of the collector shoe throughout the loop and portals, and dewirements exiting the loop WB (in addition to the perpetual dewiring into the spare track).

And there's a slow order enacted within the past couple of weeks exiting the station portal WB (Feels like a track break?). Inching through there's a huge clunk-clunk from the wheels significantly shuddering the car, but speeding through it seems fairly minor.

Huh? TTC transfers are based on when the bus/streetcar left the terminus. The additional detail is the direction of travel. Both of these are set at the terminus on the transfer dispenser, and don't change during the run. There is a list of theoretical run times to various transfer points, but that's pretty much fiction, especially by the time you're transferring to a third route from the second route (which is all too possible).

Crews have started wiring streetcar wires that will be pantograph compliant on Lake Shore today between Kipling and Islington. Glad to see they're taking advantage of the current streetcar detour.

Most of the eastbound platforms have been rebuild for the new cars.

The rebuild platform east of Parkland has been hit with broken railing at the west end and damage to the platform.

Can't understand why the westbound platform at Park Land is haft built and would not have an impact on construction vehicles entering the condo site next to it if it was fully rebuilt.

Couple of the new platforms look narrow than they should from the bus and could be the fully width up close.

The overhead in the underpass at Humber Loop is in rough shape with the concrete for it in real poor shape. The Concrete needs to be repair first before TTC can rebuilt its overhead and supports.

The overhead in the underpass at Humber Loop is in rough shape with the concrete for it in real poor shape. The Concrete needs to be repair first before TTC can rebuilt its overhead and supports.

I have no idea what the city and TTC have planned for the gardiner overpass. I agree that its deteriorating pretty badly but I havent heard any plans on if they plan rehabilitating it. I would guess they would start to address it once the bridge overpasses over the gardiner (ie: Kipling, Islington, etc..) have to be rebuilt, but work on those sections isnt scheduled for the next few years. I can see the TTC either upgrading the wires regardless, or keeping the wires and using trolley poles until the entire section west of Humber is upgraded.

I have no idea what the city and TTC have planned for the gardiner overpass. I agree that its deteriorating pretty badly but I havent heard any plans on if they plan rehabilitating it. I would guess they would start to address it once the bridge overpasses over the gardiner (ie: Kipling, Islington, etc..) have to be rebuilt, but work on those sections isnt scheduled for the next few years. I can see the TTC either upgrading the wires regardless, or keeping the wires and using trolley poles until the entire section west of Humber is upgraded.

The Gardiner bridges over the Humber and the TTC tracks are being rehabilitated this year, with work starting on Monday ironically enough. It's one of three big projects along the Gardiner starting this spring, the other two being median replacement and road deck replacement along part of the elevated portion.

• 2 weeks later...

LFLRV heading west on Lake Shore across Kipling today. Is this the first time one of the new streetcars has made a trip to Long Branch loop?

Definitely not.

They were down there once when I was chasing it in the early stages of testing.

• 2 weeks later...

4403 will be the first production car and it will be here next week depending on CP when they bring it down and delivering it to Hillcrest. No word when the other 5 will be here so they are ready for Aug 31 roll out. Only 6 new cars are plan for 510 come Aug 31.

60 cars will have poles and pan with pan only on the rest of the order.

Once there are enough cars for 510, the ALRV's on 501 will start to retire and replace by 3 of 510 cars for every 1 ALRV. The same thing will happen for 511 next and then replacing the 504 ALRV's until all ALRV's are retire. Then, the CLRV's will start to be retire.

The new cars will be store at Ronc.

Come 2016 and depending if Leslie ready for service, what yard the cars will operate out will change and nothing is written in stone at this time. 509, 510, 511 & 512 out of Ronc with 502, 503, 505 and 506 out of Russell. Only 3 new cars can be store on most of the lines at Russell.

There will be 3 different time of the day classes will take place to train everyone on how to drive the new cars as well all the other things they need to know first and past the testing before they are allow to drive the car on their own.

If thing things stay on track, Streetcars will return to Spadina Loop by the end of June. They only have to built the cut off into the loop, as everything is done at the intersection.

When the new cars goes into service Aug 31, they will run to Spadina Loop.

Depending on a few things, streetcars may see Union Loop in July or early Aug.

All the track work at Victoria & Queen is finish, but hydro doing some work before the road can be pave on Queen.

Confirmed! The service memo for the June board period is out, and the 510 will be extended to Queens Quay effective June 22 (with no short-turns to King, at least on paper).

There is note in the memo that the 509 will still be operated by buses until Aug. 31, but I suppose if the QQ work can be advanced, the plan can change by the time the schedules for the Aug board are set up.