Streetcar News

CLRV4037

4129 rear-ended a car WB at Jarvis on the 505 this morning (7:30); it caused only a small dent to the car (around its rear license plate) and I doubt the streetcar even got scratched. Either way, it blocked service until 7:45, when they moved the car off to park SB on Church.

4193 is currently out on 506 if anyone wants to know.

Just spotted it a few minutes ago. It's got a yellow sign in the window as if the rollsign were out of order proclaiming that it has the new farebox on board.

Just spotted it a few minutes ago. It's got a yellow sign in the window as if the rollsign were out of order proclaiming that it has the new farebox on board.

Any news on why that street car crashed into the parked pickup truck doing service on the track?

Any news on why that street car crashed into the parked pickup truck doing service on the track?

Car was 4021 is was roncy 606am night car the operator always does the run great guy he even sweeps the car for us before he runs in! 4021 is at Russell right now and already it was failed the brakes tests!!

Brad

Car was 4021 is was roncy 606am night car the operator always does the run great guy he even sweeps the car for us before he runs in! 4021 is at Russell right now and already it was failed the brakes tests!!

Brad

If it had mechanical problems, shouldnt' he of known before the incident?

Maybe the brakes failed right then and there (at the accident site) and unfortunately it failed in a clutch situation which resulted in an accident.

Is the braking mechanism that unreliable? If there not an emergency button to stop the car?

Adam Giambrone has just announced that by tomorrow, St. Clair, Main St, Broadview, Dundas West and Bathurst stations will all have 'Next Vehicle' screens for streetcars. I am assuming they're like the ones at Union and Spadina Stations.

Which means that the NextBus website should have 504, 505, 506, 511 and 512 back up and running!

Adam Giambrone has just announced that by tomorrow, St. Clair, Main St, Broadview, Dundas West and Bathurst stations will all have 'Next Vehicle' screens for streetcars. I am assuming they're like the ones at Union and Spadina Stations.

Your correct. They installed the screen at Main Street Station about two weeks ago, I kept forgetting to post about it. It is located on the streetcar side of the terminal by the elevator. I don't understand why they chose to put it where 506 unloads. Unlike Spadina, Main Street Station's is made up of three screens. It might be because it will need to fit all those bus routes later on.

Broadview and I think Dundas West had those signs already installed for the 505 platform in one of the shelters at least. Be nice to see more in the near future. *thumb up*

And I think it's solar-powered. At Broadview, there's this black thing on top, and there seems to be no indication of wiring to anything but this black... roof... thingamabob.

To clarify.... at Broadview, there is only an lcd screen for the 505, nothing for the 504 ... and there are NO tv style screens like union stations.

And the screen for the 505 was NOT working.... before it use to show the time.. now just random stuff

Broadview and I think Dundas West had those signs already installed for the 505 platform in one of the shelters at least. Be nice to see more in the near future. *thumb up*

And I think it's solar-powered. At Broadview, there's this black thing on top, and there seems to be no indication of wiring to anything but this black... roof... thingamabob.

Your correct. They installed the screen at Main Street Station about two weeks ago, I kept forgetting to post about it. It is located on the streetcar side of the terminal by the elevator. I don't understand why they chose to put it where 506 unloads. Unlike Spadina, Main Street Station's is made up of three screens. It might be because it will need to fit all those bus routes later on.

Main Street's screens were turned on yesterday but all three where just showing "The Next Vehicle Arrival System" with a red background and the OneStop logo on the bottom.

Rob Ford supports elimination of the streetcar network.

http://www.thepassinglane.ca/2010/04/ford-...on-the-car.html

I'm just thinking what Ottawa's going through with their right-wing mayor, and the light rail contract that got cancelled and the subsequent lawsuit that resulted... given that we've already signed a contract for new streetcars here and Bombardier is working on them as we speak. Not to mention the two month Transpo strike because he hates unions. If you want to know what Toronto would be like under Rob Ford, look no further than Ottawa.

I'm just thinking what Ottawa's going through with their right-wing mayor, and the light rail contract that got cancelled and the subsequent lawsuit that resulted... given that we've already signed a contract for new streetcars here and Bombardier is working on them as we speak. Not to mention the two month Transpo strike because he hates unions. If you want to know what Toronto would be like under Rob Ford, look no further than Ottawa.

Truer words were never spoken.

It's nice that he cares so much about motorists but if he goes through with this pipe-dream of his, I don't think he realizes in 10-20 years Toronto will be f***ed traffic-wise, even more than it is today. More people will drive because of the lack of rapid transit, chances are there will be no (or very little) LRT's or "Transit City" network to use as an alternative (he'll likely scrap it all). I doubt any new subway lines will be built. More and more people will turn to the automobile, and single occupancy vehicles will likely shoot up increasing congestion. There's little or no room for any major highways to be built in Toronto to handle any increase in automobile traffic, much less widening roads. And if anyone wants to jump on the LRT bandwagon afterwords, all the streetcar/LRT infrastructure would likely be removed or mothballed and would require extensive replacement.

Seems like a typical political hair-brained well-thought-out plan :)

It's not just Rob Ford in this mayoral campaign. It's about half the candidates. Anyone who thinks privatizing the TTC or even considering PPP arrangements are only looking at the short term. One can argue that it could potentially save money in terms of subsidies, but it'll undo all the good things which have been done for the past few decades.

Fortunately, that's likely not going to happen. For all his populist ideas, he's no more than a fringe candidate. In the event he ever did get elected, he'd have no support whatsoever from council who would shun him then, as they do now as a councilor.