YUL Bus Charters - 2009 Activities

SMS

So far M Wright and busman219 requested rides from me, but if a lot of people need rides, how do you feel about this proposition. I can rent a minivan and we can all chip in for gas and a fraction of the rental. I can comfortably seat five without including me.

So far M Wright and busman219 requested rides from me, but if a lot of people need rides, how do you feel about this proposition. I can rent a minivan and we can all chip in for gas and a fraction of the rental. I can comfortably seat five without including me.

Now that's forward thinking!

My charter website will be updated within a matter of hours. I would like to proclaim that our charter is official and ready to go! We have a penultimate routing planned out by some of Quebec's leading bus fans.

Here are the essential details which I shamelessly paraphrased off the TTS purely because of lack of time:

Please note that dates, times and vehicles are subject to change.

All times are approximate.

Quebec Tripper 2009: Farewell to the STCUQ MCI Classic Articulated Buses - Saturday, June 6, 2009

YUL Bus Charters is offering a four hour fan trip in honour of the impending retirement of the MCI Classic Articulated buses. On Saturday, June 6th, we will visit various bus loops and terminals around the city. At these places, we will be signing up the bus on routes that rarely (if ever) operated the city's first articulated buses. If the articulated buses are both unavailable, we have requested a 1991 or 1992 MCI Classic in STCUQ livery.

Departing on Saturday, June 6th from 720 rue des Rocailles, Quebec City (in front of the RTC garage and head office) at 11:00am.

Returning at 3:00pm.

Parking is available on rue des Rocailles. We do not suggest parking in the RTC employee lot

Cost: $30 exceptionally to be paid in advance by mail (or in person for Montrealers)

YUL Bus Charters anticipates a heavy demand for tickets for this fan trip. Thus, only participants that have sent a notice of attendance via e-mail, and paid in advance will be allowed to board. We reserve the right to restrict and/or refuse admission.

Contact information: send an email to Shanake Mario Seneviratne at yulbuscharter2008@gmail.com

All YUL Bus Charter event participants (and/or parents/guardians of participants) are required to review and sign an Event Waiver Form prior to participating in an event.

Also discussion on my idea for a rental van carpool should be discussed ASAP.

Charter news

Everything has been worked out with the RTC, our priority vehicle is 9225. It has been confirmed today and we're doing the finishing touches on the routing right now. I have to remind you all that payment in advance is expected. Please send confirmations of attendance to my charter e-mail address: yulbuscharter2008 at gmail dot com. We expect to have an excellent day!

Carpool news

So far three carpool spots have are now occupied. If there's more demand, I can look into renting a minivan. How much is a round trip to Quebec from Montreal via Orleans Express? To split a rental and gas six ways should be dirt cheap! I can offer pickups at Du College and Radisson. The advantage of traveling with me is that there's no way you'd miss the charter (:P) and you don't have to worry about getting to the RTC garage by transit.

Please comment away guys :P

Charter news

Everything has been worked out with the RTC, our priority vehicle is 9225. It has been confirmed today and we're doing the finishing touches on the routing right now. I have to remind you all that payment in advance is expected. Please send confirmations of attendance to my charter e-mail address: yulbuscharter2008 at gmail dot com. We expect to have an excellent day!

Carpool news

So far three carpool spots have are now occupied. If there's more demand, I can look into renting a minivan. How much is a round trip to Quebec from Montreal via Orleans Express? To split a rental and gas six ways should be dirt cheap! I can offer pickups at Du College and Radisson. The advantage of traveling with me is that there's no way you'd miss the charter (:D) and you don't have to worry about getting to the RTC garage by transit.

Please comment away guys ;)

can u hook me up with a spot (car pool)

Everybody please disregard the payment in advance stipulation! Our finances are alright so you may pay in Quebec City! I haven't even written the waiver yet so give me a little time and it will be up.

With regard to the carpool, let me do a little calculating and come back to you. I believe that a carpool rental all split up should cost less than Orleans Express.

The questions by OC4526 and busman219 have been answered privately.

Incidentally Tristan offered to drive us to Quebec City for my MCI Classic Artic charter. He is able to rent a van with a lot of seating with a Quebec "A" license plate from Via Route. That's great because you need to have a class 2 to drive "A" and the best I could do other than a civilian car is a company car "F" plate. I don't know if we have the numbers to make that worthwhile though

I would be interested in that offer.

It would be really cool if we had enough support to make that happen!

Would be like a busfan fieldtrip! :o

Also if you haven't gotten word yet, our good buddies Simon and Felix are interested in this initative! :)

Charter news

1. Waiver attached for your perusal. Shall be uploaded shortly to the website.

2. Please confirm (or in some cases re-confirm) your attendance to yulbuscharter2008@gmail dot com. This is very important so that I can see who is coming. If there is enough demand we could try for a fifth hour. Don't forget that people that show up on the spot without e-mailing a confirmation will not be allowed to board.

3. If you've missed it, please note that we are now going for at least a four hour charter (11-3). Originally it was to be a three hour charter. There will be time to make it to Gare du Palais for the VIA departure to Montreal. If you are late getting to the RTC garage for the 11am departure of our charter, our first two photostops will be on the 801 Metrobus routing so call/text my cellphone and we can meet you along the way... but I really hope that it won't come to that.

Two weeks left until this thing goes down! I leave for Quebec City in the morning. I'll drive the charter routing tomorrow with our co-organizer Jacques Matte, recently retired from the RTC. He is the authority on buses in the capital region so don't be shy to talk to him (he's bilingual too). To get you guys in the mood, visit his website: www.busfanplace.com . I'll look for places for bathroom breaks, etc. Not really projecting a food break per se, I'll try to think of a place where at least something can be picked up and consumed aboard the bus.

Carpool news to follow

RTC_Waiver.pdf

Carpool news

The cost of a round-trip ticket on Orleans Express for adults is $83.53 (with tax), and $44.02 for students.

I can match the student price if not less when it comes to gas money. I have my car which ought to comfortably seat three persons. Looking at a rental van, the costs seem too much for it to be worthwhile so unless there is a lot of demand I won't look into it further. The priority list for my car are the following:

1. M Wright

2. busman219

3. 80-040 Guy Concordia

4. OC4526

Two weeks left until this thing goes down! I leave for Quebec City in the morning. I'll drive the charter routing tomorrow with our co-organizer Jacques Matte, recently retired from the RTC. He is the authority on buses in the capital region so don't be shy to talk to him (he's bilingual too). To get you guys in the mood, visit his website: www.busfanplace.com . I'll look for places for bathroom breaks, etc. Not really projecting a food break per se, I'll try to think of a place where at least something can be picked up and consumed aboard the bus.

What is near each terminal

Beauport : Couche Tard is just feets away from terminal (and offer A toilet ... locked by key and not recommanded), a shopping center is also on the other side of the street for toilets.

Cimenterie : Nothing there

Charlesbourg : Nothing fast near there

Zoo : Dépanneur near (i must check that again)

Marly : Nothing

D'Youville : Many stores, but toilets are not easily accessible.

Place Jacques Cartier is the best, you have toilets, dunkin donuts and a convenience store there.

Terminus les Saules : Convinience store ... but no toilets

If a photostop is forecast at the Chateau Frontenac, the tourist office is across the street and they offer toilets and soft drinks

BTW thanks again for your recommendation of route 82 to get people to RTC garage. I don't know if it's worthwhile for people coming from Gare du Palais as they would have transferred from a WB 800 to a NB 801 anyway... not much point transferring yet again for the 82 when they can do it with some sense of assurance by taking the 60 instead.

Ideally I would like to stop at an Ashton or a Benny but I guess we'll settle for a McD/TimHos within walking distance! If the Ottawa guys have a poutine craving we can go to Ashton after the charter :lol:

BTW thanks again for your recommendation of route 82 to get people to RTC garage. I don't know if it's worthwhile for people coming from Gare du Palais as they would have transferred from a WB 800 to a NB 801 anyway... not much point transferring yet again for the 82 when they can do it with some sense of assurance by taking the 60 instead.

Ideally I would like to stop at an Ashton or a Benny but I guess we'll settle for a McD/TimHos within walking distance! If the Ottawa guys have a poutine craving we can go to Ashton after the charter :lol:

Other way to get to the RTC garage is by route 64 departing Place Jacques Cartier at xx:48 on Saturday (82 starts at each xx:22), get down of the bus at the corner of Pierre Bertrand / Bouvier (arriving at xx:15) then it's a short walk to garage (8 to 12 minutes). No need to transfer to a NB801 after the WB 800, it's a 200 meters walk only.

And this is the list of restaurants near the RTC garage

Fast Food

- McDo

- Fusée Rotisserie

- Salvatore Pizza

- La belle province

Standard restaurant , we have

- Cage aux Sports

- Scores

- Normandin

What are your fave restaurants in QC? I wanna recommend places that are only found in the capital, so I figured that's either Chez Ashton or the Benny chain that doesn't appear to affiliate with the Benny's in Greater Montreal/Lanaudiere.

What are your fave restaurants in QC? I wanna recommend places that are only found in the capital, so I figured that's either Chez Ashton or the Benny chain that doesn't appear to affiliate with the Benny's in Greater Montreal/Lanaudiere.

Ashton of course if a classic ... but personnaly i love Ryna on Chemin Sainte-Foy, very good pizza there. I have others place but they are far away from the action !

The details look good!

You better believe I'm hitting up Chez Ashton after the charter, we haven't seen each other in a while, and you've really got me craving his Poutine with all this food talk!

It would be cool to go to an actual Ashton restaurant, since last time I was in Quebec City, I only got to eat the mall outlets.

BTW: Here's the Ch. Ash. website, (french only), but do some clicking around and you can get some drooltastic pics of what they offer. Chez Ashton

So it seems you currently have 4 people + yourself for the carpool.

I would be interested as well, and if other participants would be willing to hop aboard, as oppose to either driving their own vehicles or taking Orleans down, we could make the van idea happen.

In addition to your list, I speculate that the following people may be interested in a carpool, correct me if you are set on other plans.

mtltransitguy

Mystic [if attending]

David D. [if dosen't want to put more mileage on his focus :rolleyes:]

Steve [You may already be counting him]

Tristan [Offered to drive a higher capacity vehicle]

Jeremy A. [Currently traveling via coach]

Total: 10 persons...this van idea could work.

mtltransitguy

Mystic [if attending]

David D. [if dosen't want to put more mileage on his focus :rolleyes:]

Steve [You may already be counting him]

Tristan [Offered to drive a higher capacity vehicle]

Jeremy A. [Currently traveling via coach]

Total: 10 persons...this van idea could work.

I'm still not certain as to whether I can come or not, as that weekend is looking quite busy for me as it is, but if I do come, then I would definitely be interested in the carpool.

Just put 640 km on the Protege today. Very pleased with the routing which I drove with Jacques Matte. We've planned a short break to pick up snacks and to use the restroom at the middle of the charter. Also Jacques let me check out his tremendous model bus collection and archive/museum, everything is great! I'm very tired now so let's talk more about this later.

Again everybody coming is urged to write to my email to confirm attendance thank you

Again everyone is urged to confirm their attendance to my charter e-mail. I'm not saying this for the sake of seeing this. If our turnout is greater than expected, I can possibly lower the ticket cost but I need to know exactly whose coming. Thank you for your cooperation and support.

It would be very nice if we could extend the charter by another hour, making it 5 in total.

The bus deserves that length of a send-off, so come on everyone, let's make it happen.

It's more than worth the distance to ride this vehicle, and be part of transit history.

Well it's not really possible to have a longer charter because I've already sent my check in the mail for it. I guess anyone who wants to ride this bus for much longer should go to Quebec City for a day and ride it all day, or go to Halifax. We've covering a fair amount of distance on this charter so participants should not feel that they aren't getting their money's worth.