YUL Bus Charters - 2009 Activities

SMS

So do I just pay when I get there, or do you guys have some sort of ticket system worked out? I can say with relative certainty that I'm coming to the RTL public charter, and I'd definitely be interested in coming on an STM charter labour day, unless I go away somewhere that weekend.

You may pay before boarding - please arrive early so that I can deal with the paperwork. It's a fairly grueling process but also fun at the same time!

In other news, work is finally progressing of the STL charter. I am using a 1990 STL map as a basis and I have noted several great opportunities for photo stops. These would be routes that no longer exist, and current routes that used to follow different itineraries. We will strictly abide by what is on the 1990 map and resist the urge to visit the metro stations.

You may pay before boarding - please arrive early so that I can deal with the paperwork. It's a fairly grueling process but also fun at the same time!

In other news, work is finally progressing of the STL charter. I am using a 1990 STL map as a basis and I have noted several great opportunities for photo stops. These would be routes that no longer exist, and current routes that used to follow different itineraries. We will strictly abide by what is on the 1990 map and resist the urge to visit the metro stations.

With the exception of the ex-Terminus Laval ofcourse. :P

I'm conflicted on visiting what used to be Terminus Laval because it will NOT be deserted when we show up (the STM will still be using Henri-Bourassa nord).

Either way, I think we should anyways.

We have had photo stops at active terminals before, and it will be a little quieter than on a week-day.

IMO, it wouldn't be that different than if a large group of bus fans decided to show up and take pics as a group.

May I also remind you that we made a stop at Cartier on the 2007 5808 charter, and it was more than active at the time...but I think Mystic has a story about that one.

Either way, I think we should anyways.

We have had photo stops at active terminals before, and it will be a little quieter than on a week-day.

IMO, it wouldn't be that different than if a large group of bus fans decided to show up and take pics as a group.

As long as the STM knows who we are, and what we're doing...I've been yelled at more than a couple of times for excessive photo-taking on their premises without asking permission first.

I disagree and this prospect does worry me because of occasional bad behaviour. I'll decide whether we go there or not eventually.

In other news I almost cancelled the 60-013 charter because they were going to charge me 1h20m deadhead time despite the fact that we were willing to start at the garage. After careful negotiation, they were willing to only charge 20 minutes for preparations (10 mins before and 10 mins after) which is a very acceptable compromise for me. This means that henceforth all STM charters will begin at the garage without exception.

At least the garage is pretty easy to get to; just take the metro to Angrignon, and a few minutes on the 195. And I don't really mind, since I've always wanted an excuse to get off there, anyways :P.

It's understnadable that they'd charge for the deadhead time if we weren't starting from the garage, since they're still using gas and paying a driver, even if there's no one on it...

At least the garage is pretty easy to get to; just take the metro to Angrignon, and a few minutes on the 195. And I don't really mind, since I've always wanted an excuse to get off there, anyways :P.

Sure! According to the last two board periods, that 195 run is theoretically non-accessible too! We will soon see if this holds up. All garages are relatively easy to get to. Frontenac, Legendre and Saint-Denis are walking distance from the metro, Mont-Royal and LaSalle are about 10 minutes from the metro by bus, and Anjou and Saint-Laurent are 15 minutes from the metro by bus.

It's understnadable that they'd charge for the deadhead time if we weren't starting from the garage, since they're still using gas and paying a driver, even if there's no one on it...

This was never a policy in the past. I think it's understandable if they were deadheading a bus from LaSalle to Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue because that would probably take 40 minutes in rush hour, but this is now a standard fixed policy to charge 40 mins each way even if you're being picked up down the street! Totally ridiculous... which is why I am glad that they are charging us the minimum for us wanting to get picked up at the division.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the impending retirement of STL 5800 and 5900 buses, the charter weekend will feature a STL 1990 MCI Classic of the 6000 series. The charter website will be updated to reflect these changes.

Due to the impending retirement of STL 5800 and 5900 buses, the charter weekend will feature a STL 1990 MCI Classic of the 6000 series. The charter website will be updated to reflect these changes.

Nothing wrong with that. When is the last day you recieve confirmation that the vehicle you chose will be put away for us on charter day?

If a 59 is available then, by fluke of a chance, then so go for it. If not, the 60xx will do just fine. After all, it's still a MCI with the wonderful 6V92TA. :)

I will need an updated roster and I will get it. 6018 is intriguing as it has the same quality of RTL 9-056: a demo Cummins engine.

No thanks! It is an interesting bus, but it won't do much for our photos, apart from a rear that should not be on a 60XX bus.

I would rather charter something that is representative of the fleet first.

If we want to charter 6018 at a later date, then go for it.

I think everyone would much rather hear the sound of a 6v92 than a Cummins any day.

In other news:

I would like to take a poll, if anyone would still be interested in chartering a 58/59 series STL Classic next weekend.

I am not too sure if it could be set up, or if you guys are interested in such short notice, but I would like to know.

If response is positive, I would highly consider undertaking the charter initiative.

The costs, of course would be shared equally amongst all participants,.

STL Charter Rate 90$/hr.

3 hour Charter 3X90$X1.13(tax)=305.10$.

The split would work as follows depending upon the number of people attending:

>7 People: $$$

7 People: 44$

8 People: 38$

9 People: 34$

10 People: 30$

>10: $Cheap$

If everyone that was previously interested in attending this charter still is, then the costs would be quite reasonable.

If others that I am not thinking off and French busfans would attend, then costs would be significantly lower.

That being said, could someone (with a good reputation) please make an announcement on MdM to survey interest from that board.

The more people that we get to climb aboard, the more reasonable the costs become.

I believe it is still worth it to make this charter happen, especially since we have a wonderful routing all drawn up by SMS. It would be a shame for his hard work to go to waste.

Let's make it happen boys!

No thanks! It is an interesting bus, but it won't do much for our photos, apart from a rear that should not be on a 60XX bus.

I think everyone would much rather hear the sound of a 6v92 than a Cummins any day.

In other news:

I would like to take a poll, if anyone would still be interested in chartering a 58/59 series STL Classic next weekend.

I am not too sure if it could be set up, or if you guys are interested in such short notice, but I would like to know.

If response is positive, I would highly consider undertaking the charter initiative.

STL Charter Rate 90$/hr.

If everyone that was previously interested in attending this charter still is, then the costs would be quite reasonable.

If others that I am not thinking off and French busfans would attend, then costs would be significantly lower.

That being said, could someone (with a good reputation) please make an announcement on MdM to survey interest from that board.

The more people that we get to climb aboard, the more reasonable the costs become.

I believe it is still worth it to make this charter happen, especially since we have a wonderful routing all drawn up by SMS. It would be a shame for his hard work to go to waste.

Cogeno and I are expressing interest, I'll see if I can round up some more people.

In other news:

STL Charter Rate 90$/hr.

First off, why are you highjacking SMS YUL charters thread to plan your own charter? Second, why aren't you planning your own routes for this!?

Jeff, I appreciate the idea, but don't you realize that these charters require lots of advance planning? You need to draw up a route, drive it somehow, plan the photo stops, and so on. To me, it sounds like a very rash decision, but if you can pull it off, more power to you. I'd be glad to attend if this idea does somehow work.

I will need an updated roster and I will get it. 6018 is intriguing as it has the same quality of RTL 9-056: a demo Cummins engine.

Getting back on topic in the thread, I'm with the 6018 idea for your charter weekend as the 58/59s will probably be gone as you metioned.

Bleh... I'd much prefer a 6V92TA-equipped 60XX than one that sounds like a first-gen LFS :lol: . I'd reccommend the oldest one they have (6001, or if it's retired, the lowest-numbered 60XX available), and I'm sure many people would agree with me.

I'd like to address many things right now and if I forget some things, we can discuss it afterward. First, 6018 is a unique and significant bus. I don't like C 8.3 much but it's worthwhile. I would have liked to charter 9-056 of the RTL but that chance is gone so 6018 is that last chance. Trust me, you guys will have a fix of 6V92 action with future 6100, 6200, and 6400 charters. I know I can't please everyone here, but if 6018 is the last STL 60 left and the next choice are 61 series buses, guess what I'm gonna choose. I know Sherman likes this idea. We will see what is available with a new roster as some 6000s may be retired as well to liberate fareboxes.

Next up and for everyone's information, I gave Jeff my blessing to use my proposed routing for May. Everything for me is ruined with the retirement of the 5800s and 5900s at the end of the month. As well I do not mind the "hijacking" of the thread as there is interest in these buses here and the fact that they will not be available for charter in May means that people can stay interested in this thread. I was very disappointed with the news because I put a lot of work in learning the old routes and comparing them to the new routes, learning what was on the rollsign, and developing an excellent routing. I can offer this otherwise the routing would go in the garbage (much like my 14-008 routing did).

I am interested in attending this charter and I will support it. As it stood, my charter was to begin at the STL Garage (employee parking lot) at 10:30 a.m. This three hour charter features excellent turn around facilities where we can improvise photostops so it may not be necessary to drive the routing in advance per se (unlike when I will drive to Saint-Hyacinthe next month).

Next up and for everyone's information, I gave Jeff my blessing to use my proposed routing for May. Everything for me is ruined with the retirement of the 5800s and 5900s at the end of the month. As well I do not mind the "hijacking" of the thread

Alright..

I'd like to address many things right now and if I forget some things, we can discuss it afterward. First, 6018 is a unique and significant bus. I don't like C 8.3 much but it's worthwhile. I would have liked to charter 9-056 of the RTL but that chance is gone so 6018 is that last chance. Trust me, you guys will have a fix of 6V92 action with future 6100, 6200, and 6400 charters. I know I can't please everyone here, but if 6018 is the last STL 60 left and the next choice are 61 series buses, guess what I'm gonna choose. I know Sherman likes this idea. We will see what is available with a new roster as some 6000s may be retired as well to liberate fareboxes.

Thank you.

I do understand it's a disappointed for everyone to see the 58XX and 59XX retirement as they are the only rollsign exist left, but 6018 is the only one left with Cummins/Voith powertrain (AFAIK) and I want to take the advantage of it of riding it.

Yes I'm disappointed as much as everyone else, but SMS had plans already for this charter and I hate to disappointed it if he had to cancel it!

Well, I know that YBC's mandate is to charter rare, interesting, and unique buses. STL 6018 is a bus that matches all those criteria. I've never ridden a Classic with a Cummins engine before, so that will be an interesting experience for sure.

As for the alternate STL charter, I hope that happens as well. To be able to attend two STL charters in the same year would indeed be awesome.

There will be no cancellations. People from the GTA and Quebec City are coming for the charter weekend and we are not aiming to disappoint. We will make do with what we have available.