YUL Bus Charters - 2009 Activities

SMS

I'm thinking for the Ottawa Gang we might travel late at night so that we arrive early enough in Quebec City to transit fan,

I just checked Greyhounds site first 2 buses arrives at 3:35 am and 9:30 am (secand one kinda tight)

Proposal

In other news, and as I posted in the RTC thread, the venerable 1992 MCI Classic articulated buses of Quebec City will be retired 15 June 2009 after 17 years of faithful service in favour of the delivery of new 2009 Nova LFS Artics. I propose a minimum three hour farewell charter of either 9225 or 9226, that begins and ends at RTC Garage. Time TBA, Date very likely Saturday 6 June. We will hit up many bus terminals and do contemporary routes. Cost will be capped at 30 dollars max (less if possible). We'll try to start as late as possible to allow people to drive from Montreal and points west (ie GTA). The RTC specified that they reserve the right to offer another bus. I'll see if we can do a garage tour after, or if we can do a lil lineup of a MCI artic with a Nova next to it. Are people interested?

I was hoping this initiative would see the light of day. I had been thinking of undertaking this charter idea myself for a while now, since it is definitely in order.

Frankly, this charter cannot accommodate persons traveling via VIA to Quebec. The timing won't work out to get you to the garage on time (projected start time is 11h00). To get to the garage, the best way is to take the 801 Metrobus direction Charlesbourg and transfer to a westbound 60. On the other hand, you will have plenty of time to get to Gare du Palais after the charter. I'd suggest Orleans Express or carpool to Quebec as the best options. I would like to start later but this is against my interests.

Orleans Express is the way to go. It is how most people get between Montreal and Quebec City, with hourly departures daily.

Leather seats for the most part, lots of legroom, respectful passengers, and friendly drivers.

In the past I have taken an early morning departure, and it was quite an enjoyable experience, highly recommended!

The majority of patrons slept throughout the entire trip, and weren't afraid to shoot you dirty looks if you were disturbing them; so don't worry about loosing sleep.

Also much more affordable than taking the train, plus they both arrive at the same facility.

Other possibilities

With Orleans, Ask the driver if possible to go down at Charest / De la Couronne (there is a interurban bus flag). Then short walk to Place Jacques Cartier to take route 82 towards LAC SAINT-CHARLES. Starting at each xx:22, you arrive at RTC garage at xx:41

Warning : If the artics end it's life at new Metrobus garage ... that an other game !

Is this listed on their schedule? Also, it depends what time the coach arrives from Montreal.

Thank you everyone for your interest so far!

I would like to provide the carpool service to Quebec City in my car for the Ontarians, who are coming a long way and deserve an easy way to get to the charter. It will be difficult to come from the GTA and then continue traveling to Quebec City vs for us who just need to travel from Montreal. Let's hope that this works out. If I can't fill up my car I can offer lifts to Montrealers.

Difficult? Not really, overnight Coach Canada, and then an early morning Orleans Express with little layover.

That being said, if I were travelling all the way from SW Ontario or the GTA to Eastern Quebec, I would appreciate a lift as well.

Montrealers shouldn't mind taking Intercity Transit, it's a fun experience.

If other members with cars attend this event, they may be willing to offer lifts as well.

I might be interested in the charter. We'll have to see how many people we can get from Southern Ontario to come up for the charter. It's a once in a lifetime chance to take photo's of such a rare bus.

That's right! It's amazing how such a thing can gather people together from far and wide like this.

Don't forget Voyageur goes as far as Montreal, then transfer to Orleans Express.

Unfortunately, since Ottawa is but 2 hours outside of Montreal, there is no Overnight Coach service. Last bus leaves at 11:30, just before 2am (and is semi-local....), forget that.

The only way to travel via intercity coach between Quebec and Montreal and arrive to the charter on time, would be to leave Ottawa on the 2:30am VCL departure, arriving just before 5am, and then catch the 6am OEX to Q-City.

Finally, I would like to signal my interest in this initiative.

I was checking out my options and train isn't working for me. If it plays right, I could [and maybe bring some Ottawa people?] get a drive to Montreal and catch Orleans and get to Quebec City in time. The dog from Ottawa to Quebec city is about 134 bucks for me but from Montreal it is only $45!

I'm interested and hopefully I can make it!

I'd love to go. However, there is one major thorn in my side with regards to it - the day.

Had this been held on a Sunday, I'd have tried to join you. But it looks like it wasn't meant to be. Never mind.

For those that do decide to attend, I hope you have a great time with these awesome super-sized Classics :P .

I was checking out my options and train isn't working for me. If it plays right, I could [and maybe bring some Ottawa people?] get a drive to Montreal and catch Orleans and get to Quebec City in time. The dog from Ottawa to Quebec city is about 134 bucks for me but from Montreal it is only $45!

I'm interested and hopefully I can make it!

You can pretty much forget about the train when trying to get to any city in The Corridor before noon, and even later. (Montreal-Ottawa excepted.)

Hopefully I will have some company on Orleans Express then, looks like a fair number of people will be joining me!

Orleans Express from Montreal to Quebec City, Student Fare, Return, will cost you exactly 69,98$ (tax incl.). :P

Note: everyone traveling via Common Carrier Service (ie Orleans Express), to Quebec City must make the 06:00 OEX departure from Station Centrale Montreal if they wish to arrive to the RTC garage on time.

Would the organizers be willing to incorporate a pick-up either at Gare du Palais or somewhere mid-way between that point and the RTC Garage along the Metrobus routing, so that the 07:00 OEX departue becomes a viable option? This would also allow more flexibility for those coming in from out of town, as well as provide a backup plan in case the 06:00 departure is either full, or missed.

You can pretty much forget about the train when trying to get to any city in The Corridor before noon, and even later. (Montreal-Ottawa excepted.)

Hopefully I will have some company on Orleans Express then, looks like a fair number of people will be joining me!

Orleans Express from Montreal to Quebec City, Student Fare, Return, will cost you exactly 69,98$ (tax incl.). :P

Note: everyone traveling via Common Carrier Service (ie Orleans Express), to Quebec City must make the 06:00 OEX departure from Station Centrale Montreal if they wish to arrive to the RTC garage on time.

Would the organizers be willing to incorporate a pick-up either at Gare du Palais or somewhere mid-way between that point and the RTC Garage along the Metrobus routing, so that the 07:00 OEX departue becomes a viable option? This would also allow more flexibility for those coming in from out of town, as well as provide a backup plan in case the 06:00 departure is either full, or missed.

Doesn't work for me either unfortunately. I'd have a few hurdles to cross in order to make it for that day, including work, and the earliest bus that will get me into Montreal will arrive just before 8am.

Doesn't work for me either unfortunately. I'd have a few hurdles to cross in order to make it for that day, including work, and the earliest bus that will get me into Montreal will arrive just before 8am.

That could be worked around, if you can get the day of work that is.

Hold on, according to the website the 06:00 trip doesn't run on Saturday and Sunday!?

Hold on, according to the website the 06:00 trip doesn't run on Saturday and Sunday!?

No u read it wrong, there's two 6am departures, ones a different route which DOESNT run on sat and sun, but there's still a 6am express route that runs everyday.

So just to clarify; what time will the charter be starting at, and will the first OEX be early enough to get there in time?

And will we finish early enough that I could make it back to Gare du Palais for the 17h40 VIA train?

Other possibilities: With Orleans, Ask the driver if possible to go down at Charest / De la Couronne (there is a interurban bus flag). Then short walk to Place Jacques Cartier to take route 82 towards LAC SAINT-CHARLES. Starting at each xx:22, you arrive at RTC garage at xx:41

Warning : If the artics end it's life at new Metrobus garage ... that an other game !

Thanks for providing the other way to get to RTC garage, however, I'm proposing the most frequent way to get there with the NB 801 and the WB 60. What happens if the 82 is a no show? Those people would be hard pressed to jump on the first 801 and 60 they saw.

Anyway, is the new Metrobus garage open yet? Does it have a proper name? If it's open, maybe we can visit it and meet a new bus there.

I was hoping this initiative would see the light of day. I had been thinking of undertaking this charter idea myself for a while now, since it is definitely in order.

Oh ya? I didn't know you were thinking of starting a charter group yourself, especially for something not in your hometown. This isn't an easy task unfortunately otherwise I'm sure that I would have undertaken this a long time ago. I don't like cutting it close when it comes to retirements.

If the Ottawa guys wanna take the overnight bus to Montreal, I can provide carpool service from Montreal to Quebec City and it will work out much better! My offer of carpool still stands to Ontarians. First come first served.

I'd love to go. However, there is one major thorn in my side with regards to it - the day.

Can't cater to the minority. Sorry. Ontarians will be very hard pressed to return to the GTA if we did a Sunday charter. We need to think about others, i.e., the majority.

Sorry, no. I don't know when people started thinking that charter organizations were democracies; to my knowledge the BHA and MBS don't typically respond to requests like this. At the same time, starting later means compromising Quebec City sun angles (earlier than Montreal ones), and we've chosen a fairly reasonable time for departure. However, I haven't planned the routing yet so this is subject to confirmation.

Doesn't Orleans put out an extra when a bus is full anyway?

So just to clarify; what time will the charter be starting at, and will the first OEX be early enough to get there in time?

And will we finish early enough that I could make it back to Gare du Palais for the 17h40 VIA train?

At present -- and this is all subject to confirmation -- we would like to start at 11 a.m. If we started at noon, it wouldn't make a difference for VIA travellers and besides people traveling from Ontario on the bus still need to show up at the crack of dawn in Montreal for transfer to Orleans Express at any rate. We project a three hour charter but if there's enough demand for a longer charter, we could go on until 3 or 4 pm. You should be able to make the 540p train.

Thanks for providing the other way to get to RTC garage, however, I'm proposing the most frequent way to get there with the NB 801 and the WB 60. What happens if the 82 is a no show? Those people would be hard pressed to jump on the first 801 and 60 they saw.

Anyway, is the new Metrobus garage open yet? Does it have a proper name? If it's open, maybe we can visit it and meet a new bus there.

If the 82 no show , just cross the street and take the 801 !

No u read it wrong, there's two 6am departures, ones a different route which DOESNT run on sat and sun, but there's still a 6am express route that runs everyday.

Exactly.

The thing with the Orleans site, when your click trajet, it gives you nothing. It just restates the departure and arrival times, when it should tell you the routing and intermediary stops.

That is how Greyhound does it, and it lets you know what is local without doing much research.

That way if you are interested in going for a bit more of a scenic ride, you can.

I'm unsure if i could go, its all in the money, which i recenly invested almost all of it into the YUL weekend & the fine foods of mtl :(

I don't blame you. If you thought MTL food was good, wait for QBC!

Should leave plenty of time.

Oh ya? I didn't know you were thinking of starting a charter group yourself, especially for something not in your hometown. This isn't an easy task unfortunately otherwise I'm sure that I would have undertaken this a long time ago. I don't like cutting it close when it comes to retirements.

If the Ottawa guys wanna take the overnight bus to Montreal, I can provide carpool service from Montreal to Quebec City and it will work out much better! My offer of carpool still stands to Ontarians. First come first served.

Sorry, no. I don't know when people started thinking that charter organizations were democracies; to my knowledge the BHA and MBS don't typically respond to requests like this. At the same time, starting later means compromising Quebec City sun angles (earlier than Montreal ones), and we've chosen a fairly reasonable time for departure. However, I haven't planned the routing yet so this is subject to confirmation.

Doesn't Orleans put out an extra when a bus is full anyway?

At present -- and this is all subject to confirmation -- we would like to start at 11 a.m. If we started at noon, it wouldn't make a difference for VIA travellers and besides people traveling from Ontario on the bus still need to show up at the crack of dawn in Montreal for transfer to Orleans Express at any rate. We project a three hour charter but if there's enough demand for a longer charter, we could go on until 3 or 4 pm. You should be able to make the 540p train.

Actually, I have no intentions of starting an actual charter group. All of my future iniatives will be private events that fill a void; events not already in the works. The goal is not to compete, but rather to compliment YUL Bus Charters. Like you said it's not an easy task, so I hope you welcome my support on the charter scene. I prefer to charter vehicles many years before retirement as well, when possible. We don't always have to charter something because it won't be around anymore.

There is no overnight to Montreal per say. I have already taken the 'last' departure from Ottawa. The 'first' departure is at 2:30am, hope you guys like waking up early!

I do not wish to delay the starting time of your charter in any way, my inquiry was more directed towards including a pickup along the MetroBus routing, similar to what was done in Cornwal at the Via station, I don't know if this is possible, it's your routing afterall.

If they feel like it, for 5-10 passengers, they could just say forget it, wait for the next bus.

Heed their advice, show up early.

Hopefully the event lasts as long as possible.

I think I will take you up on that offer, please reserve me a spot.