YUL Bus Charters - 2009 Activities

SMS

Montreal's premier bus fan charter group is back in full force for 2009, its fourth straight year.

This year, we propose to host the following events:

Sunday 26 April 2009

A three-hour private charter featuring STM 60-013, a 1990 MCI Classic and currently the fleet's oldest vehicle. The trip will start and end at Garage LaSalle. Should 60-013 not be available, we will substitute in favour of a 1991 MCI Classic of the 11-000 series from Garage LaSalle. The costs of this private charter is based on all members sharing the cost equally. If there are enough participants, we may extend the trip by an hour to a total of four hours.

Saturday 2 May 2009

A charter (duration to be determined) featuring a 1990 MCI Classic from the RTL. One of our fellow board members will be the driver. Should a 1990 bus not be available, we will substitute in favour of a 1989 MCI Classic. The cost of this charter has yet to be determined.

Sunday 3 May 2009

A charter (duration to be determined) featuring a 1989 MCI Classic from the STL. If a 1989 bus not be available, we will substitute in favour of a 1988 MCI Classic. The cost of this charter has yet to be determined.

My charter website has not been updated since the Cornwall Transit Orion V CNG charter but when it is, I'll let you know. The updated website should have detailed charter information, and waivers for download. I also have to upload the 2007 STL 5808 activity which I have been putting off for quite some time now.

I hope that some of you are interested, so please bookmark your calendars. More details will follow in the forthcoming weeks, so do pay attention to this thread. All e-mails should be sent to yulbuscharter2008[at]gmail.com (a 2009 e-mail account is superfluous at this point).

N.B.: Management reserves the right to restrict or refuse admission on their charters.

Montreal's premier bus fan charter group is back in full force for 2009, its fourth straight year.

Sunday 26 April 2009

A three-hour private charter featuring STM 60-013, a 1990 MCI Classic and currently the fleet's oldest vehicle. The trip will start and end at Garage LaSalle. Should 60-013 not be available, we will substitute in favour of a 1991 MCI Classic of the 11-000 series from Garage LaSalle. The costs of this private charter is based on all members sharing the cost equally. If there are enough participants, we may extend the trip by an hour to a total of four hours.

Saturday 2 May 2009

A charter (duration to be determined) featuring a 1990 MCI Classic from the RTL. One of our fellow board members will be the driver. Should a 1990 bus not be available, we will substitute in favour of a 1989 MCI Classic. The cost of this charter has yet to be determined.

Sunday 3 May 2009

A charter (duration to be determined) featuring a 1989 MCI Classic from the STL. If a 1989 bus not be available, we will substitute in favour of a 1988 MCI Classic. The cost of this charter has yet to be determined.

My charter website has not been updated since the Cornwall Transit Orion V CNG charter but when it is, I'll let you know. The updated website should have detailed charter information, and waivers for download. I also have to upload the 2007 STL 5808 activity which I have been putting off for quite some time now.

I hope that some of you are interested, so please bookmark your calendars. More details will follow in the forthcoming weeks, so do pay attention to this thread. All e-mails should be sent to yulbuscharter2008[at]gmail.com (a 2009 e-mail account is superfluous at this point).

I would have to see im kinda of interested in going I have never been to Montreal

I would like to update everyone on the following:

The 60-013/11-000 charter will take place in the current jurisdiction of Garage LaSalle, starting and ending there. I will also inquire on the possibility of a formal garage visit, or at least for them to whip out a few buses for us. For me, the major component of this area stretches from Lachine to downtown, so expect many photostops in this vicinity. The charter is planned with the assistance of a 1991 map (actually accurate to November 1990), so if 60-013 is retired between now and 26 April, our routing will at least be faithful to our research. Based on the suggestion from 80-040_Guy-Concordia, I have decided to undertake a '90/'09 choice of routes for photostops. We will combine some old mileage of routes that no longer go where they used to go, and we will also select current routes wherever appropriate. I am sure that you will be pleased with our route selections. The research is ongoing but of course I can't spill the beans! So stay tuned to further developments as the future of 60-013 is always uncertain.

The RTL charter wishes to use a 9-000 bus with the typical CAPS LOCK rollsign (as opposed to the rollsign found on 9-005). We have yet to determine what bus to precisely charter. Emphasis will be placed on the overall appearance of the bus, whether it was recently rebuilt, whether it is up for retirement shortly, and its top speed. Expect different exposures and photo ops compared to 2008 (and let us hope for better weather). Indeed, we have selected to charter within the Route 116 axis, and the start and end of the charter will be Métro Radisson (somewhat chosen for its large park and ride facility). We expect to go as far as St-Hyacinthe before turning back. This is pending on the RTL accepting my itinerary, but it should work out, since St-Hyacinthe is JUST under 50 km from Longueuil Garage (the maximum distance that a bus can travel as the crow flies). Without a STRSM map from 1989-1990, it is not possible to plan a 'period' charter as I like to do, so we will use significant and interesting rollsign exposures to the max, with regard to routes and destinations that the CTRSM and STRSM used to do, and what the RTL currently does. Therefore, this charter will also borrow elements from the 60-013/11-000 charter by combining elements of the past and present together. We hope that you will be interested in this charter even though we did 9-005 last year. Once the 9-000 series of buses are retired, we will not be in a position to charter buses with various exposures indicating where south shore transit buses used to go before the creation of CIT services as we now know it. Also, with the retirement of 9-000 buses, it will be a while until we consider a 9-400 charter. Another charter featuring a 9-000 in the Route 104 axis may be planned shortly and based on the success of the Route 116 axis charter.

Finally, the STL 5900 charter will be planned exclusively using maps from the late 1980s or as late as 1990 (I do not remember what years I have at home). I haven't started my research so I cannot comment much more on this. We will strive to visit parts of Laval that we did not cover 5808 in 2007.

I hope that this update is helpful in convincing some of you to get on board!

Hello friends,

I am writing to merely request that interested persons should signal to me their intention to attend some or all of the charters planned for Spring 2009. The reason being that if there are insufficient participants for the 60-013/11-000 private charter (for example), I can concentrate my efforts on planning other charters.

Chronologically, the 60-013/11-000 private charter planning would come first. We need at least 14 persons to keep costs under $30 per person.

You may signal your interest on this forum, or you may e-mail me at yulbuscharter2008 (at) gmail.com - thank you!

Hello friends,

You may signal your interest on this forum, or you may e-mail me at yulbuscharter2008 (at) gmail.com - thank you!

I would like to be the first to officially state my interest in participating in all of your Montreal charters planned this year.

Hello friends,

I am writing to merely request that interested persons should signal to me their intention to attend some or all of the charters planned for Spring 2009. The reason being that if there are insufficient participants for the 60-013/11-000 private charter (for example), I can concentrate my efforts on planning other

Hi all, I'm interested in all the charters provided I can get the time off work. Once my schedule is known (should be first week of March) I'll be able to confirm everything.

Alex

I think I'm able to come to all charters, as long as they're on the weekend, and they're at a reasonable price.

Well, as he said, price is dependent on how many people sign on. In most cases his charters are quite reasonably priced for what we get out of it.

Sunday 26 April 2009

Saturday 2 May 2009

Sunday 3 May 2009

N.B.: Management reserves the right to restrict or refuse admission on their charters.

Wow sounds great! :P

I am hoping to attend all 4 and possible bring others of the Ottawa gang with me! :P

Thanks everybody for your input so far. Also if you can tell friends who may be interested in this event, that would also be most appreciated.

I think I'm able to come to all charters, as long as they're on the weekend, and they're at a reasonable price.

For sure. I'm trying to keep all charters below $30, a tricky feat considering the raising of charter hourly rates. I just hope that people are still interested in these events in spite of the recession. The YUL Bus Charter 2009 weekend will have a special rate for attending both charters in May! More details will be found on my website, which I hope will be updated within 24 hours.

I'm thinking of trying out the one of the two on the weekend of May 2nd-3rd, it'll depend on if I can get a babysitter on the Saturday. For the one on the 26th of April, I have Rose that weekend and we're going to have Anne's 1st B-day party that weekend too.

I'm thinking of trying out the one of the two on the weekend of May 2nd-3rd, it'll depend on if I can get a babysitter on the Saturday. For the one on the 26th of April, I have Rose that weekend and we're going to have Anne's 1st B-day party that weekend too.

A simple yes or no answer would have been sufficient..

The first stage of planning for the RTL 9-000 charter is now complete. A fantastic routing has now been planned with nearly two dozen photostops. Dave and I only need to drive the routing to confirm this routing. Note that we will significantly use the rollsign. Whatever exposures we won't use will be used on the next RTL 9-000 charter in the Route 104 axis (projected date: Labour Day weekend).

The difference is cost. Public charters have a fixed unwavering price. Private charters imply that all costs are evenly and equally divided among participants, no matter how high or low the price is. Even so, we try to fill up the bus as much as possible so that costs are reasonable.

The first stage of planning for the RTL 9-000 charter is now complete. A fantastic routing has now been planned with nearly two dozen photostops. Dave and I only need to drive the routing to confirm this routing. Note that we will significantly use the rollsign. Whatever exposures we won't use will be used on the next RTL 9-000 charter in the Route 104 axis (projected date: Labour Day weekend).

I am quite pleased to report to everyone that the first stage of planning for the STM 60-013/11-000 private charter is now complete. We have planned a very interesting routing which involves authentic and accurate routings and photo stops, and there will even be some expressway action for those wanting to take videos. Unfortunately there are fewer opportunities for photo stops compared to our public charters because we will be on a very tight schedule. Please note that we will strictly manage the time at photo stops so that we will not see any cost overruns. Anyone who is found to delay the charter at the photo stops by not obeying the directives of the management will be billed for any overruns that may be charged. This will be made clear in the waiver that everyone will sign. The employees of the STM must abide by the hours of work that they have signed up for, and it is irresponsible and insulting for us to delay them from their contractually stated ending time. They will bill all extra hours and it is unfair for the management to pay extra for the behaviour of unscrupulous individuals. We thank you for considering this matter and do note that we will be less strict for time on our other charters.

If this event is successful, we may consider hosting another private STM charter on Labour Day weekend featuring one of the two Legendre 11-000 with white fleet numbers in the blue stripe. The backup bus will be either 12-099, 12-100, or 12-101.