Manitoba Transit Heritage Association

DavidW

The Show and Shine events at the Pony Corral are highly dependent on the weather.  While the MTHA collection is just fine in the rain, most people with antique and collector vehicles simply don't take them out in the rain. Us by ourselves in a rainy parking lot isn't a car show.

It's unlikely the MTHA will schedule another multi-bus feature Sunday this Fall.  If there's a nice Sunday (dry and warm) maybe a couple of us will bring out a bus, but organizing many drivers and many buses takes notice and planning. 

We're not really sure what happened this year.  We agreed with the Pony Corral organizers on an August date, and then to our complete surprise they published a schedule with us slotted in for late September.

As for our late model buses (MCI Classic #316, New Flyer D40 #858), there are logistical (paperwork) reasons why they are not out very often.  It will take some time to resolve.

This year was big for us because we got #565 (1946 Ford Transit) out on the road under its own power for the first time since restoration began around twenty years ago.  With a little luck we might get a second bus out on the road in time for the Santa Claus Parade in November, #188 (1954 GM "old look"). 

We are also following up on a lead for a warehouse space.  If that can be negotiated we might have a "museum" we can open on Saturdays for visitors (and a shop space where maintenance and restoration can be carried out). 

The MTHA is entirely volunteer operated and donation funded.  We do this because it's fun.  If folks want us to do more, perhaps they could volunteer to help or make a donation.

• Thanks 1

Well said. Guys, take some initiative if you want to see them, pitch in and volunteer. Doesn’t get much more up close and personal than getting some dirt under your fingernails.

Who knows, it might even lead to a decent paying career in the transit industry. It did for me.

Volunteering in any organization looks good on a résumé.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 10:49 AM, Taylorover9001 said:

To next Sunday? I swear, if they don't do it ever again, it would be just my stupid luck that I'll NEVER GET TO SEE 107, 316, and 858, the good buses on their roster!!

Hmmmmm.... This is interesting. Reading your post and then where you quoted David, it seems that you injected "idiot" into his quoted text? See my screen capture below.

Why the hell would you do that??? I read that and I couldn't figure out why David would be have said that! And of course, he didn't. This is among the dumbest things I've ever seen on this board. You are risking damaging David's reputation. Can you imagine if someone from Pony Corral see's this?? I would suggest promptly editing your post, although, I'll be flagging for it's outright removal.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Hmmmmm.... This is interesting. Reading your post and then where you quoted David, it seems that you injected "idiot" into his quoted text? See my screen capture below.

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.d86818f967629d40453416bf41401ee0.jpg

Why the hell would you do that??? I read that and I couldn't figure out why David would be have said that! And of course, he didn't. This is among the dumbest things I've ever seen on this board. You are risking damaging David's reputation. Can you imagine if someone from Pony Corral see's this?? I would suggest promptly editing your post, although, I'll be flagging for it's outright removal.

Wow. Maybe someone should outright be removed from the board. Abusing the quote feature like that should be grounds for a boot.

Does this happen to be the same Taylor that isn't welcome in a few Facebook pages that are railroad related?

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, armorand said:

...and this is why I quit going on CPTDB. 

Speaking of 858, what's it's current condition? Same with 316.

Buses 858 (1990 NFI D40) and 316 (1988 MCI Classic) are stored in operating condition. Neither are currently plated by the MTHA. As I understand it 858 is not old enough for an antique auto plate, and 316 only became old enough this year. If I recall correctly 858 was not out on display in 2018. 316 made it out to one event, the MCI company barbecue, which was only open to MCI employees and their families.

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2018 at 3:03 PM, DavidW said:

With a little luck we might get a second bus out on the road in time for the Santa Claus Parade in November, #188 (1954 GM "old look").

We had a work party today to work on the many items outstanding on #188, and have brought it to running condition.  There are a handful of additional matters to resolve but it's now roadworthy.

Introducing the newest addition to the MTHA operational fleet...  Greater Winnipeg Transit Commission #188 (1954 GM TDH-4801), new to Winnipeg via Los Angeles, Sacramento, Victoria, Nanaimo, and Regina.

winnipeg-MTHA188gmol-daw218nov04.thumb.JPG.ce730bc26ba6ff690f43f67b6626d34a.JPG

Although this exact model never operated in Winnipeg, #188 represents the General Motors "old look" buses that did operate here.  Winnipeg had 35 foot and 40 foot models, so this 37¾ foot example can pass as either!

This is the second vehicle added to the MTHA operational fleet this year.  An outstanding accomplishment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, DavidW said:

We had a work party today to work on the many items outstanding on #188, and have brought it to running condition.  There are a handful of additional matters to resolve but it's now roadworthy.

Introducing the newest addition to the MTHA operational fleet...  Greater Winnipeg Transit Commission #188 (1954 GM TDH-4801), new to Winnipeg via Los Angeles, Sacramento, Victoria, Nanaimo, and Regina.

Although this exact model never operated in Winnipeg, #188 represents the General Motors "old look" buses that did operate here.  Winnipeg had 35 foot and 40 foot models, so this 37.5 foot example can pass as either!

This is the second vehicle added to the MTHA operational fleet this year.  An outstanding accomplishment.

This is really great to see. Congrats to all of you, the bus looks beautiful!

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, DavidW said:

Although this exact model never operated in Winnipeg, #188 represents the General Motors "old look" buses that did operate here.  Winnipeg had 35 foot and 40 foot models, so this 37¾ foot example can pass as either!

But for the bifold rear door and the lack of Michigan marker lights, this is very close to the original 188. That was one of 3 ex-Transcona Bus Lines TDH5105s built in 1956-59; the then-Metro Transit got them in 1963 with its purchase of TBL. The original 188 had a butterfly exit door without lower windows, and Michigan markers, one of the very few Winnipeg buses of those days that had them. That was because they operated on highways and were required to have those lights. City buses, which didn't operate on highways, were exempt from having those lights, and they were usually an extra-cost option. Starting with GM's 3rd-gen fishbowls in 1968 (T6H5305 et al), Michigan markers became standard equipment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The new trolleybus book Tires and Wires is due out next month. I wrote a firsthand account of Winnipeg's last run on October 30, 1970 for that book.

UPDATE: My copy came today; all that was dropped from my piece was a postscript on what happened after October 30, 1970. Here it is:

·       The trolley wires on downtown Portage and Main were taken down before Christmas 1970; those near the outer end of the Corydon line stayed up well into spring 1971.

·       The Last Trolley Bus, 1768, was fortunately preserved; it was moved to Fort Rouge Transit Base, where I saw it a couple of times before I left Winnipeg in August 1973. After being moved around to various other places, it’s now in the care of the Manitoba Transit Heritage association, who plan to restore it.

·       Supervisor Marshall, my companion on the last trip, reportedly died about a year later.

·       On January 1, 1972, with the advent of Unicity, Metro Transit became Winnipeg Transit,  which it remains to this day.

·       A 1982 proposal to bring back trolley buses failed, for a number of reasons, not the least of which was the cost of replacing the dismantled infrastructure. Flyer Industries was then building the E902 trolley buses for Vancouver. Another similar proposal in 2009 failed for much the same reasons, shortly after New Flyer Industries was then had built the current low-floor Vancouver trolleys.

·       Only twice since 1973 have I been back to Winnipeg: in June 2001 and June 2011, both times for the Bus History Association convention. On the first trip I learned that Mill Street Substation, one of the last relics of the trolley bus system, was demolished in 1995, to make way for Canwest Global (now Shaw) Park. Another former trolleybus substation, at 216 Academy Road and Harrow Street (across from Kelvin), has been converted into a house. At least one other former trolleybus substation building, on Osborne just south of Corydon, was still standing; it’s now home to the General Council of Winnipeg Community Centres. I did not see 1768 on either trip.

Edited by Mark Walton
My copy of the book came today
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

With Winnipeg Transit's fleet of NewFlyer Inveros fading fast the question a arisen... Should the MTHA preserve an Invero? If we did it might end up being the only preserved Invero anywhere. On the other hand they're not really "typical" of Winnipeg Transit's fleet in the first decade of the 21st Century... more of an anomaly, really.

P.S. Separate from the "should we" question is the "Can we?" question. MTHA resources (donations and volunteers) are limited, and a 40ft bus is a lot of storage space.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DavidW said:

With Winnipeg Transit's fleet of NewFlyer Inveros fading fast the question a arisen... Should the MTHA preserve an Invero? If we did it might end up being the only preserved Invero anywhere. On the other hand they're not really "typical" of Winnipeg Transit's fleet in the first decade of the 21st Century... more of an anomaly, really.

P.S. Separate from the "should we" question is the "Can we?" question. MTHA resources (donations and volunteers) are limited, and a 40ft bus is a lot of storage space.

@Community ShuttleShuttleShShuttleShuttleShuttleShShuttle

TRAMS D40LFR anyone?

If I erase "Shuttle" it just adds more...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, DavidW said:

Worst case scenario: by preserving this "anomaly" for the future, the MTHA fleet would technically have one rare LF vehicle and rare vehicle in general, so if need be to support other fleet vehicles, it could also be sold off after awhile to cover repairs for the D40 and MCI Classic - although I'm just wondering: is 991 or 992 being saved, still? Or have they already disappeared and been scrapped?

Technically they were the first low floors in the fleet, so wondering if one will be saved? If so, there would be the 1994 D40LF, and D40i in the collection as well... would be a sight to see!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 1:23 PM, DavidW said:

Yes, I'd love to see MTHA preserve an Invero. Not everyone is a fan of this bus, but it's such a unique-looking vehicle and it's an important piece of Winnipeg history.

On 3/5/2019 at 5:25 PM, Imgursdownvote4love said:

They should preserve one D40i and one D40LF(R).

The question is, XD40 or XE40?

No not the LF or LFR. They are too common.  the D40i is a very unique vehicle and only a few systems have them. It was intended to be a premium bus. I can see them snagging a D30LF as only three systems have them in Canada.

15 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

No not the LF or LFR. They are too common.  the D40i is a very unique vehicle and only a few systems have them. It was intended to be a premium bus. I can see them snagging a D30LF as only three systems have them in Canada.

If they were gonna get a D40LF they should of tried for 992 but that’s a long scrapped. Cause 991-993 were the first low Floor buses in Winnipeg 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The organizers of the weekly Pony Corral car shows have given the MTHA Sunday 25 August 2019 as our date. They've asked us to keep our display to four buses this time. We haven't decided which ones, but I'd guess #111 (1937 Twin 23R), #565 (1946 Ford), #188 (1954 GM), and maybe #20 (1956 WFC T36-2L).

The MTHA has been quite busy so far this spring with movie/TV work. Various production companies have been looking to populate street scenes with appropriate-era traffic and nothing fills up a set quite like a bus or two. They generally apply pealable vinyl decals to mock-up the bus for someplace else (but nothing quite covers up all that bright Winnipeg orange).

Bus #112 (1983 MCI MC-9) has been "Greyhounded" with vinyl decals...

• Like 4