Manitoba Transit Heritage Association

DavidW

Where are they?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Where is the MTHA? We're meeting next the last Saturday of February. How to contact me? You can send me a private message using that function on this board. Where is the meeting? Rather than post that publicly, message me and I'll correspond with you about the group and about joining? Where are our buses? They're not on public display, but we bring them out for events.

• 1 month later...

The next meeting of the Manitoba Transit Heritage Association is this Saturday, March 28th at 10AM. The Agenda is short, so if there is interest we can conclude the meeting with a test-drive of our newest acquisition, Winnipeg Transit 107 (1984 Flyer D901).

For further information please contact me via message.

I just want to thank the great guys at the MTHA for a great day of fanning and that tour of WT fort rouge garage. I had a great time, especially in Flyer D901 #107 which came out today for a little air today. :blink: You guys are going a wonderful job! Get up the great work.

Upcoming Events. Call for Volunteers.

Bus Washing Party

Wednesday April 1st 7PM - 9PM at Fort Rouge Garage (FRG).

MTHA needs to prepare 111 (1937 Twin), 107 (1984 Flyer) and 751 (1971 GM New Look) for events later in the week. Preparation includes exterior and interior washing, and a check that the vehicles are ready for street operation.

Call for volunteers. MTHA members assemble at FRG approx. 7PM Wednesday April 1st. Wear clothes that can get dusty. We should be finished by 9PM.

Winnipeg Transit Driver Recruitment

Friday April 3th to Saturday April 4th.

MTHA's 111 will be on display inside Garden City Shopping Centre as part of Winnipeg Transit's operator recruitment drive.

Individuals have already volunteered to take 111 from FRG to Garden City 7AM Friday morning, but members are welcome to come by Garden City during mall hours to help show off 111.

Hamper Deliveries

Sunday April 5th 11AM - 3PM

The MTHA is cooperating with another charitable organization to deliver food hampers to needy families for Passover. JC&FS is making a cash contribution to the MTHA as part of the seasonal program. The MTHA will be operating 751 (1971 GM) and 107 (1984 Flyer) to transport hampers and JC&FS volunteers who will carry the hampers to the doors.

Call for volunteers. MTHA members who are willing to assist with the hamper deliveries (drive, navigate, coordinate the hampers, etc...) please contact a member of the executive.

I just want to thank the great guys at the MTHA for a great day of fanning and that tour of WT fort rouge garage. I had a great time, especially in Flyer D901 #107 which came out today for a little air today. :) You guys are going a wonderful job! Get up the great work.

Glad you enjoyed the day. I did too. Did you get some good in-service shots around town today?

Glad you enjoyed the day. I did too. Did you get some good in-service shots around town today?

I sure did! Nothing beats standing infront of the garage doors at osborne from 2 to 4pm! It was one bus after another! It was great!

Upcoming Events. Call for Volunteers.

Bus Washing Party

Wednesday April 1st 7PM - 9PM at Fort Rouge Garage (FRG).

MTHA needs to prepare 111 (1937 Twin), 107 (1984 Flyer) and 751 (1971 GM New Look) for events later in the week. Preparation includes exterior and interior washing, and a check that the vehicles are ready for street operation.

I will try and be there for the bus washing on wednesday. BTW, we took out New Looks #751 and #28 today and washed them in the bus wash. The only one left is the twin #111 which will be done on wednesday.

The MTHA had an activity this weekend and they used 107 and 751! Too bad that I couldn't stay for the weekend as well. I would have liked to join them.

The Sunday event went well. 107 (1984 Flyer D901) and 751 (1971 GM T6H-4521A) were out on the street from shortly after 9AM until around 4PM. There is a possible booking for 107 again. A television production company is interested in it for a scene they are filming this week. We're still trying to work out the details.

And I understand Winnipeg Transit was quite pleased with 111 (1937 Twin 23R) at Garden City on Friday and Saturday. They are expected to request it again for a St. Vital Centre display in a few weeks.

The next meetings of the Manitoba Transit Heritage Association are scheduled for:

Saturday, May 16th, 2009 10am - 12noon

and

Saturday, June 27th, 2009 10am - 12noon.

If you are interested in joining the MTHA or would like more information about us, please contact me by CPTDB message.

The Orion 1 is #953 btw.. during my visit the bus battery was dead, but the bus was still in running condition. The MTHA did say that they would get it charged back up and running during the summer. I did notice alot of body rust on it though..

The Orion 1 is #953 btw.. during my visit the bus battery was dead, but the bus was still in running condition. The MTHA did say that they would get it charged back up and running during the summer. I did notice alot of body rust on it though..

953 (1981 OBI Orion 1) is in good mechanical condition but the body is in need of restoration. Three side windows also need to be replaced (the previous owner chemically "frosted" them). It was operated several times in 2008, including a round trip to the Red River Exhibition where it was part of a display.

The MTHA has a long list of restoration projects. One of this year's tasks will be to develop a priority list and a multi-year plan to raise the funds to complete them.

Another question from myself. Is there any plans to 'rebuild' any buses from Brandon because I was thinking about an Orion I. It was a big time when Brandon had those.

The MTHA hopes to represent Brandon in its rolling fleet, but the only thing we currently have in our unrestored collection are two General Motors baby "old Looks". These are the same model as the unit already restored and operating in Brandon. The units we have are in rough shape. With enough time and money we might be able to restore one operating unit from the two, combined.

Where did all of Brandon's Orion 01's go? Are any still in operating condition anywhere?

Where did all of Brandon's Orion 01's go? Are any still in operating condition anywhere?

Well about six of them are sitting in one piece in great condition along with a BT Orion II. They are at the Transit Garage.

Edit:Who knows if they run. :rolleyes:

I just want to thank the great guys at the MTHA for a great day of fanning and that tour of WT fort rouge garage. I had a great time, especially in Flyer D901 #107 which came out today for a little air today. :rolleyes: You guys are going a wonderful job! Get up the great work.

We had fun and enjoyed meeting you! It is always the MTHAs pleasure to host fellow bus/rail enthusiasts from other cities.

Well about six of them are sitting in one piece in great condition along with a BT Orion II. They are at the Transit Garage.

Does Brandon still run any Orion I's?

Almost no point in stopping in there on our trip if I can't get any Orion I action. :rolleyes:

As well any Orion II's still alive? I know what we suspected was one of the oldest in the country was running in 2006.