Manitoba Transit Heritage Association

DavidW

The MTHA day at the Pony Corral Grant Park is coming up next Sunday, 25 August 2019. We are hoping to bring out between four and six buses. Plan is it will be a mix of city buses and intercity coaches.

There are at least two possible situations where we might cancel. (1). If it's raining the car show & shine will probably be cancelled. (2). If the labour situation at Winnipeg Transit results in a strike or a lockout the MTHA buses will be trapped out of reach.

Pray to your favourite deity or supernatural omnipotent entity for good weather and good labour relations!

P.S. Grey Goose Lines #20 (1956 WFC model T36-2L) will make an appearance at Stonewall Quarry Days show & shine Sunday 18 August 2019.

• Like 1

I'm just curious, in terms of finding MTHA space for a museum... since the Western Canadian Aviation Museum is now moving to the Airport itself, is MTHA looking into acquiring it for a transit museum of sorts? I swore I read something years ago (maybe on here) about it  and wanted to ask.

4 hours ago, armorand said:

I'm just curious, in terms of finding MTHA space for a museum... since the Western Canadian Aviation Museum is now moving to the Airport itself, is MTHA looking into acquiring it for a transit museum of sorts? I swore I read something years ago (maybe on here) about it  and wanted to ask.

That hasn't come up so far. I'm not sure what the fate of the Aviation Museum's former building is supposed to be.

For the MTHA in addition to just finding a space that is large enough, and in an acceptable location, is the central question of how to afford the ongoing costs. With a building you get bills for heat, water, electricity, telephone, security, insurance, building maintenance, and property taxes. Even a building for a dollar would require a solid business plan to keep it.

CBC television will be doing a story on the Manitoba Transit Heritage Association during today's 6pm Winnipeg local news. We've been advised that it'll be three or four minutes, and probably in the second half hour (between 6:30pm and 7:00pm).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavidW said:

CBC television will be doing a story on the Manitoba Transit Heritage Association during today's 6pm Winnipeg local news. We've been advised that it'll be three or four minutes, and probably in the second half hour (between 6:30pm and 7:00pm).

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1591043139884

MTHA story begins at 38 minutes.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The MTHA will be at the Fabulous Fifties car show at Garden City Shopping Centre tomorrow, Sunday 08 September 2019. We plan to bring three buses: #111 (1937 Twin Coach model 23R), #565 (1946 Ford model 19B Transit), and #188 (1954 GM model TDH-4801).

We should arrive before 11am and will likely depart around 5pm or so.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, MVTArider said:

How is the MTHA doing in general with the Pandemic and such? I'm wondering if WT may eventually affect their fleet storage situation as well with ongoing budget cuts?

The MTHA has been unable to do any public events so far this year because of the pandemic. Work has continued on our current major project, the conversion of our 1979 OBI Orion 01 into a rolling transit museum. The interior has been reconfigured with display cases and photograph walls, and with a small cinema at the back with a wide-screen TV and four bench seats.

We are unaware of any issues between us and Winnipeg Transit at this point. Of course they first and foremost have a transit system to run and we come far down their priorities, but most administrators seem supportive.

The pandemic has diminished revenue more than it has reduced expenses, unfortunately. Our biggest costs are for insurance which are required regardless of circumstances.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 10:12 AM, Isaac Williams said:

Maybe if you run some events, you'll get some revenue...

We don't generally get any revenue from our appearances at public events...

8 hours ago, BusRider said:

Don't exactly think that would be responsible of them at the moment.

That too...

• 1 month later...

The Santa Claus Parade this year will be a "reverse" parade. Floats will be parked around The Forks for a couple of days and socially distanced small groups will be able to walk by viewing them.

Since we can't leave our antique buses out overnight in cold weather it is expected that the MTHA will pass on the event this year.

2020 has been without public events for the MTHA this year. Very disappointing. Let's all hope 2021 will be much better.

26 minutes ago, DavidW said:

The Santa Claus Parade this year will be a "reverse" parade. Floats will be parked around The Forks for a couple of days and socially distanced small groups will be able to walk by viewing them.

Since we can't leave our antique buses out overnight in cold weather it is expected that the MTHA will pass on the event this year.

2020 has been without public events for the MTHA this year. Very disappointing. Let's all hope 2021 will be much better.

Hasn't 751 spent extended periods of time outdoors at FRG in the Winter? I'm not saying they should do anything, but still.

21 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

Hasn't 751 spent extended periods of time outdoors at FRG in the Winter? I'm not saying they should do anything, but still.

As is standard practice with Winnipeg Transit, our buses' cooling systems are filled with water, not antifreeze. I don't recall any extended period when 751 (1971 GM "new look") has been outdoors in winter.

13 minutes ago, DavidW said:

As is standard practice with Winnipeg Transit, our buses' cooling systems are filled with water, not antifreeze. I don't recall any extended period when 751 (1971 GM "new look") has been outdoors in winter.

I've absolutely seen 751 outside FRG (by McDonalds) in the winter, throughout the Christmas season and then some. These photos are from late January 2017.
751OutdoorsInWinter.thumb.jpg.3e3510162a2f561168cb2d9c4375b741.jpg751OutdoorsInWinter2.thumb.jpg.859696b182c02f031ee559e9293df587.jpg

and this is from January 2018.
751OutdoorsInWinter2018.thumb.jpg.580ecf43d612e2ba82b2bba6da56bbd9.jpg

• 4 months later...

As some of you might know, the rarest bus in the MTHA fleet is Grey Goose #20:

GGB20-mtha.thumb.jpg.da04c15d21668a4562a390a5d363d4f7.jpg

It's one of only four model T36-2L (Scenicruiser knock-off) coaches built in 1955/56 by Western Flyer Coach. The four units were:

1. Thiessen Transportation #19 (Grey Goose #20) (now MTHA #20) [s/n 8-56]
  2. Grey Goose Lines #19 [s/n 15-55]
  3. Moore's Trans-Canada Lines #19 [s/n 16-55]
  4. Eagle Bus Lines #19 [s/n 9-56]

This was discovered in a Manitoba scrapyard just a few days ago:

IMG_7444.thumb.jpg.dbddc6cfdcf789db26abe4346422032e.jpg

It's clearly one of the three other WFC T36-2L's. It's been modified, especially at the rear. It's also in pretty bad shape. We don't know which of the other three it is.

It's a remarkable find.  We had general information about two of the other three, including reports that one of them had been spotted in an Edmonton junkyard some years ago. This unit might have been on the road, in it's modified form, in the last decade or two.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, DavidW said:

This was discovered in a Manitoba scrapyard just a few days ago:

IMG_7444.thumb.jpg.dbddc6cfdcf789db26abe4346422032e.jpg

It's clearly one of the three other WFC T36-2L's. It's been modified, especially at the rear. It's also in pretty bad shape. We don't know which of the other three it is.

It's a remarkable find.  We had general information about two of the other three, including reports that one of them had been spotted in an Edmonton junkyard some years ago. This unit might have been on the road, in it's modified form, in the last decade or two.

I wonder if it was Grey Goose's as this scrapyard looks close to the Beaver lot on Archibald.