STM 29-001 to 29-148 Sightings

stm_5307N

All I saw were 29s 044 & 050, but since SD has a boatload of 29s, I guess it was somewhat easy for them to lend a few to LA for the day. I wonder what happened with the 3rd-gens, though. Since they were not on the road, LA was short ~50 buses or something.

I don't think any 3rd gen was out today!! I wonder i9f there is a problem with them :rolleyes:

Probably has something to do with that fire that happened in the wheel well last week with one of them.

Nova has always created problems like this for the STM. If you'll remember the last Nova fiasco with the 1st gens.

We can be thankful though, it saved us the New Looks and GMs for a good few years past their retirement date.

I got 100% confirmation that all 3rd gens are pulled form the road. I have to call my contact tomorrow and he'll give me the exact reason why. Hopefully I'll get through to him and find out.

Thank goodness I got some photos last Monday, not alot though.

I got 100% confirmation that all 3rd gens are pulled form the road. I have to call my contact tomorrow and he'll give me the exact reason why. Hopefully I'll get through to him and find out.

You can take what I'm going to say with a grain of salt, since the source is not always that reliable, but apparently it has something to do with the over steering problems that the 3rd gens have had, and they were forced to lock the amount of steering that the bus could make. Which would make it impossible to make tight corners, and could potentially be a safety hazard if manoeuvrability was a concern. This could also explain why there have been fires reported in the wheel rim. The wheel would be rubbing against the inside wheel well.

The reason why the 114-121 will be in service is because the problem was addressed for the 3rd gen version 2.0.

Only a fraction of the 3rd gen buses seem to have the problem, as per this Transport Canada recall record:

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/7/vrdb...-1〈=eng

Road Safety Recalls Database

Transport Canada Recall # 2009253

Recall Date: 2009/08/27

Notification Type: Safety Mfr

System: Steering

Manufacturer Recall Number: CR1421

Units Affected: 75

Category: Bus

Recall Details:

On certain vehicles, the front tires may contact surrounding mechanical components during a tight turning manoeuvre. Over time, tire rub damage could cause tire failure which, in turn, can result in a vehicle crash causing property damage, personal injury or death. Correction: Dealers will affect repairs.

Make Model Model Year(s) Affected

NOVA LFS 2010