Welcome to the updated CPTDB!

If you prefer an older theme, you can change it back by scrolling to the very bottom and clicking on "Theme" on the bottom right. However, you can also change the background color/image by clicking on the "photo icon" in the black bar with your username at the top of the page.

Click the X on the top right of this box to dismiss this message.

kellergraham

exo / Réseau de transport métropolitain (formerly AMT)

The AMT has said that they added cars to the DM line. Has anyone actually seen a 12 car train? I keep on reading in the Gazette that they added cars, but I take the rush hour train and they are still packed and only seem to have 10 cars?

The AMT has said that they added cars to the DM line. Has anyone actually seen a 12 car train? I keep on reading in the Gazette that they added cars, but I take the rush hour train and they are still packed and only seem to have 10 cars?

I was out at Bois-Franc station the day after the announced the 12-car train.

I have the consists of each of the 5 trainsets and they were all 10 cars...

Alex

Does anyone else find it strange that the AMT decided to lease cars from NJT, even though they aren't compatible, when in the past they've leased cars from GO Transit, who uses a lot of the exact same equipment.

Also, it seems like they're prepared to keep using these cars for quite some time, seeing as they've gotten rid of any obvious indication in or on the cars that they belong to NJT, and have changed all the signage to french.

Does anyone else find it strange that the AMT decided to lease cars from NJT, even though they aren't compatible, when in the past they've leased cars from GO Transit, who uses a lot of the exact same equipment.

Also, it seems like they're prepared to keep using these cars for quite some time, seeing as they've gotten rid of any obvious indication in or on the cars that they belong to NJT, and have changed all the signage to french.

1. There is a shortage of commuter equipment right now on the market. NJT was the only company that actually had anything to lease. It was still better than the old long-haul via-type coaches that they had put on the TwoMountains line in 92-94, just prior to the renewal of the line!

2. Although the new Bombardier multi-levels will start to be delivered next fall, they will be coming at a slow pace, not all at the same time. Therefore, the NJT cars will be needed for at least another year or two after the new cars start filling in all the needs.

3. Changing the signs is really not a big investment to put in! It was all done in two weeks...

GO's equipment is not electrically compatible with AMT's, whereas the NJT equipment is.

Dan

GO's equipment is not electrically compatible with AMT's, whereas the NJT equipment is.

Dan

Aren't the bi-level AMT and GO trains the exact same model? They appeared that way to me...I recall seeing a lot of the GO bi-levels parked in the yards a few years ago...

Aren't the bi-level AMT and GO trains the exact same model? They appeared that way to me...I recall seeing a lot of the GO bi-levels parked in the yards a few years ago...

go's cars use an oddball voltage for the head-end-power, so you'd have to borrow one of go's locomotives to run the lights and climate control.

the go bi-level cars you saw years ago might have been there for refurb (AMF?)-i think i'll defer this one to the rail experts.

go's cars use an oddball voltage for the head-end-power, so you'd have to borrow one of go's locomotives to run the lights and climate control.

the go bi-level cars you saw years ago might have been there for refurb (AMF?)-i think i'll defer this one to the rail experts.

We borrowed them in 2006 to help out the extra load of passengers (I may be wrong for the reason part?) right after the De La Concorde overpass collapsed in Laval. We had 564 as the locomotive and 245 as the cab car.

For some reason that I can't remember now there was a shortage of cars a few years ago, and they started using GO trains, priamarily on the Blainville line.

We borrowed them in 2006 to help out the extra load of passengers (I may be wrong for the reason part?) right after the De La Concorde overpass collapsed in Laval. We had 564 as the locomotive and 245 as the cab car.

it was because of the extra demand for service on the Blainville line following the collapse of the De La Concorde Bridge. The cars were leased from GO's existing maintenance spares between October 6th and November 10 (AM).

The extra departure left Ste-Therese at 07:00 and the evening left LuLa at 17:55 and went all the way to Blainville (St-Jerome wasn't open yet).

For those interested, I have photos from the event:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kellergraham/...8583081/detail/

Alex

Some of the Series I cars were rebuilt at Alstom in the old GE Canada/MLW shops, but that's going back 5 or 6 years now.

Dan

Ah, of course! I should have remembered about the bridge collpasing :S

Those are some nice photos, Alex! I love seeing trains out of their natural habitat, so to speak.

I heard on CJAD this morning that the AMT was late over 15 min on the Dorion-Rig. line as usual. People were calling in the radio station venting their frustrations... one guy said that the AMT should stand for Agence Moyenne de Transport.. come on, anyone can come up with a better name than that.. haha

one guy said that the AMT should stand for Agence Moyenne de Transport.. come on, anyone can come up with a better name than that.. haha

It looks more and more like "mediocre", not just "moyenne"...!

It looks more and more like "mediocre", not just "moyenne"...!

I think that's what the guy on the radio was trying to say. He was just trying to use a french word, which was probably not the best one he could have used.

I heard on CJAD this morning that the AMT was late over 15 min on the Dorion-Rig. line as usual. People were calling in the radio station venting their frustrations... one guy said that the AMT should stand for Agence Moyenne de Transport.. come on, anyone can come up with a better name than that.. haha

There weren't any delays yesterday and the day before according to the AMT.

Alex

There weren't any delays yesterday and the day before according to the AMT.

Alex

What the AMT says and what really happens is two different things..

The trains were very late this morning, but luckily the 8:01 train came right at 8:16, when my train normally comes, so we were packed on like sardines, but at least I wasn't late for work!

I don't understand why people pay a premium to ride a packed train that might not come. Not too bad in the summer but the winter, come on. Buses are no better but at least a bus will eventually come and is cheaper than the AMT. I never ride trains during rush hour... I'd rather take Mississauga Transit than be poorer and more uncomfortable like that! Sorry guys!

I don't understand why people pay a premium to ride a packed train that might not come. Not too bad in the summer but the winter, come on. Buses are no better but at least a bus will eventually come and is cheaper than the AMT. I never ride trains during rush hour... I'd rather take Mississauga Transit than be poorer and more uncomfortable like that! Sorry guys!

Everyone in Montreal is complaining about trains right now, but the truth is that it's normally a very good service, and my train is almost always on time, to the minute. For me to take a bus to work would take over four times as long as taking the train, so I'll stick with the train, thanks. Also, some of the trains may be packed, but mine isn't...I usually get a seat.

Everyone in Montreal is complaining about trains right now, but the truth is that it's normally a very good service, and my train is almost always on time, to the minute. For me to take a bus to work would take over four times as long as taking the train, so I'll stick with the train, thanks. Also, some of the trains may be packed, but mine isn't...I usually get a seat.

Where and and what time are you riding? That makes all the difference!

Alex

Where and and what time are you riding? That makes all the difference!

Alex

I take the 8:15 from the west island to downtown on the dorion-rigaud line every morning.

I take the 8:15 from the west island to downtown on the dorion-rigaud line every morning.

By that do you mean the 8:16 from Valois? That's quite late for a downtown arrival (08:45).

Take the 06:57, 07:12, 07:27 or 07:42 trains to see what people are complaining about!

Something is happening behind the scenes at the AMT with respect to the commuter trains. I have been taking the trains for almost 10 years, and they have never been this bad.

I know ridership has increased, but reliability has been marginal at best this year. I think maybe they pissed off CN & CP or something like that. I know they started to out source some of the work to AMP. (The company where the guy failed to show up and warm up the locomotives, Ha!)

And now the AMT wants to open its own maintenance center?? They expect to know more than CN when it comes to rolling stock maintenance?

Also the purchase of the 20 new hybrid locomotives has me puzzled. They are new experimental units in North America and they cost more than buying a separate diesel and electric locomotive. I think they should just save their money and start a campaign to electrify the whole network. With Hydro in Quebec being cheap, and everyone concerned about the environment, this is the way to go.

To top it off, they are purchasing new cars and locomotives worth millions, but they have yet to address their real problems. The DM line! Where most of their revenue is made! I have only heard about rumors about the track overpass at Jonction de l’est. No tentative outline, and no work being done at the site. What about expanding the single track? Again, only people saying it will be done, but WHEN will it be done. We know when we are going to receive all the new rolling stock. Before expanding like crazy, wouldn’t they want to address the fundamental problems of their current service???

Something is happening behind the scenes at the AMT with respect to the commuter trains. I have been taking the trains for almost 10 years, and they have never been this bad.

I know ridership has increased, but reliability has been marginal at best this year. I think maybe they pissed off CN & CP or something like that. I know they started to out source some of the work to AMP. (The company where the guy failed to show up and warm up the locomotives, Ha!)

And now the AMT wants to open its own maintenance center?? They expect to know more than CN when it comes to rolling stock maintenance?

The AMT has been wanting to open it's own maintenance centre for a while now, it's nothing new. They would then outsource the actual work to CN, or CP, or Altsom, or Bombardier, but they would have to abide by their strict rules.

Also the purchase of the 20 new hybrid locomotives has me puzzled. They are new experimental units in North America and they cost more than buying a separate diesel and electric locomotive. I think they should just save their money and start a campaign to electrify the whole network. With Hydro in Quebec being cheap, and everyone concerned about the environment, this is the way to go.

That's the plan to electrify the whole network by 2035

See this thread for more information: http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=5505

These locomotives are required for the transition from a diesel to a electric network.

Also, these locomotives and the 160 new bilevels are part of a standardisation program at the AMT. They want every new locomotive and every new passenger car to be able to operate on any line (including the DM line).

To top it off, they are purchasing new cars and locomotives worth millions, but they have yet to address their real problems. The DM line! Where most of their revenue is made! I have only heard about rumors about the track overpass at Jonction de l’est. No tentative outline, and no work being done at the site. What about expanding the single track? Again, only people saying it will be done, but WHEN will it be done. We know when we are going to receive all the new rolling stock. Before expanding like crazy, wouldn’t they want to address the fundamental problems of their current service???

I agree with you. The JCT de l'Est overpass has been on the table for years, to make matters worse, the area around the diamond has been redevelopped and many condos have been built very close to the diamond.

The extending single track has also been on the table for years. The AMT should address their existing issues before opening new train lines to the middle of nowhere (I'm looking at YOU Mascouche!)

Alex