kellergraham

exo / Réseau de transport métropolitain (formerly AMT)

5 hours ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

Interesting that they would go into service on the DM line. Maybe they want to retire the MR-90s as soon as the tunnel closes.

I hope sooner or later they will add an additional trainset to the VH line for additional service on their new most important line.

I don't know what is their source, but I would be highly surprised to see bilevels on DM.

First, how they would be able to get the locomotives and cars out of the line? The only two connections are Gare Centrale and Jonction de l'Est and both will not be accessible, unless the REM permits exo to travel on their tracks but the width is larger.

Second, exo is already out of locomotives. They will buy new locomotives soon, but never for January.

Regarding the rendering, I really don't like it. It looks empty!

Ew, I hope that the train would look better in person. Although I'm not really convinced that the exo paint scheme will make it any better.

4 hours ago, FelixINX said:

First, how they would be able to get the locomotives and cars out of the line? The only two connections are Gare Centrale and Jonction de l'Est and both will not be accessible, unless the REM permits exo to travel on their tracks but the width is larger.

I don't know if what I say makes sense, but I think you can ask the same question regardless it's MR-90 or DD trains because once REM opens you need to get whatever on the line out anyways.

4 hours ago, FelixINX said:

Second, exo is already out of locomotives. They will buy new locomotives soon, but never for January.

That is sad, and on top of that they have to use two ALP-45DP's for one DD train on DM line.

-----

Train service for the Easter weekend https://exo.quebec/fr/service-clientele/avis:

- No service on Friday except SJ and VH lines.

- Regular service on Monday, except VH, SJ and Candiac lines, where trains end at Mtl-Ouest (Candiac & two trains of SJ), Parc station (SJ) and Dorval (VH) due to the STM's Vendôme project digging tunnel underneath the train track and CP signal work.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

I don't know if what I say makes sense, but I think you can ask the same question regardless it's MR-90 or DD trains because once REM opens you need to get whatever on the line out anyways.

Well if the MR-90 will not be used again, you can either dismantle it on site or put the transport costs at the expense of the scrapper.

And I guess single level cars are easier to transport by truck than double deckers?

On 2019年4月18日 at 10:22 PM, FelixINX said:

Well if the MR-90 will not be used again, you can either dismantle it on site or put the transport costs at the expense of the scrapper.

And I guess single level cars are easier to transport by truck than double deckers?

You're probably right, but then there is that DD train that is currently used on DM line, you have to get it out too. My thought is that if you have to figure out a way for one train, you can do it for ten trains.

I'm pretty sure exo has the incentive to keep that train, since there are numerous overcrowding complaints from rush hour.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, FelixINX said:

Wasn't the old AMT planning to cycle the MR90s through mid-life refit right about now? And wasn't the use of MLs on the DM line partly to cover that, partly to add sorely-needed capacity, especially in rush hour? Those MLs were built specifically for the tunnel; otherwise they appear to be adaptations of the 2000s. 

I'd be disappointed if these cars could not find a buyer for service elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 6:14 PM, Mark Walton said:

Wasn't the old AMT planning to cycle the MR90s through mid-life refit right about now? And wasn't the use of MLs on the DM line partly to cover that, partly to add sorely-needed capacity, especially in rush hour? Those MLs were built specifically for the tunnel; otherwise they appear to be adaptations of the 2000s. 

The initial plan of the AMT was indeed to carry out a mid-life refit but when the REM was announced, this plan was abandoned. After a disastrous 2018 winter, exo did not have the choice to make some replacements, but it was only necessary for them to take at most 5 years. For customers, we can not see the difference, except that the latest cars to be upgraded have polished aluminum, but it dosen't last very long! Also more recently, the blue AMT bands are beginning to be removed, but without adding exo decals like the rest of the fleet.

Although the multilevel was to allow more upgrade of the MR90, I doubt they add much capacity. The DM line at rush hour is filled, both standing and sitting. On the other hand, for MLs, there are many fewer people standing because the corridors are smaller.

I even sometimes wonder if the line will remain electric until it closes. Currently, there is a power break between Val-Royal and Bois-de-Liesse, near the Saint-Laurent ecocentre. Will the section between the ecocentre and the Bois-Franc terminus be fueled in January 2020?

On 4/24/2019 at 9:08 PM, SMS said:

I'd be disappointed if these cars could not find a buyer for service elsewhere.

I would love to see a second life for the MR90! Maybe on the lines 3 Mont-Saint-Hilaire and 5 Mascouche to add more peak departures? I hope at least to see one at the exporail!

---

On another note, exo will be running a special shuttle service between Île-Bigras and Sainte-Dorothée over the weekend. This is a result of the flooding, which cause the île-Bigras bridge to be closed. The service will 24h run between Saturday (April 27) 5h00 to Monday (April 29) 5h00 with 30 minutes headway (except Sunday 0h00 - 5h00, 1 hour headway). Also, Tuesday morning will have service between 1h30 and 5h00. 

During the weekend, the shuttle will be run by the ALP45DP full trainset, in Diesel mode because the line will be unpowered for REM construction. Monday and Tuesday, a road-rail vehicle will run the shuttle.

I can confirm, the Île-Bigras shuttle is using a full 10 car set with an ALP45DP at each end. It was running in diesel mode. 7:30PM run.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:49 PM, FelixINX said:

I even sometimes wonder if the line will remain electric until it closes. Currently, there is a power break between Val-Royal and Bois-de-Liesse, near the Saint-Laurent ecocentre. Will the section between the ecocentre and the Bois-Franc terminus be fueled in January 2020?

The power break is near the substation at A13; engineers coast through it with power off. The idea is to sectionalize the catenary so a failure of one part won't necessarily kill the whole line. 

14 hours ago, Mark Walton said:

The power break is near the substation at A13; engineers coast through it with power off. The idea is to sectionalize the catenary so a failure of one part won't necessarily kill the whole line. 

That's not actually why they install section breaks, but it does help with that.

Dan

On 5/1/2019 at 6:17 PM, Mark Walton said:

I know exactly the location and the procedure, by passing 10 times a week there 😏

If I remember correctly, the other substation is at Gare Centrale, so it will not be operational from January. My question is rather if it is possible to remove the power break to connect Bois-Franc to the rest of the line?

---

The Île-Bigras shuttle has been extended one more week!

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:40 PM, FelixINX said:

I know exactly the location and the procedure, by passing 10 times a week there 😏

If I remember correctly, the other substation is at Gare Centrale, so it will not be operational from January. My question is rather if it is possible to remove the power break to connect Bois-Franc to the rest of the line?

There's another small substation at St. Eustache shop to feed that immediate area.

• Thanks 1